Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 6th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 776Posts
    • 914Thanks
    marcarm
    Viewing an item
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    Viewing an item 6th Aug 18 at 9:03 AM
    Hi,

I have an expensive item up for sale, and just had a question from someone wanting to come and view, which is fair enough as I wouldn't buy this item without checking it out first myself.

I seem to recall on here tales of sellers getting slaps because ebay seem to think they are conducting sales off-ebay, so how would the best way to send them my contact details?

I will complete the sale through ebay as I'm only paying 3 fees instead of the usual.

Thank you
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 27,435 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    They buy it and then you send the address. Anything that involves you giving your address or phone number could see you restricted or worse.

And they have a habit of billing you for the full costs even if it doesnt sell, or you later sell it through the auction.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 6th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    There really is not easy way to send contact details - Ebay do not want pre-sale viewings as obviously a sale can be conducted. In the real world, telling someone who has viewed to bog off, go home, buy it, then come back would seem rude, but it's Ebay's playground and those are the rules.

You could write your details on a bit of a paper, send a photo and send it via Ebay messages, but that risks a restriction too. Too be honest if your object needs viewing, then Ebay isn't really the place for it nowadays.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 6th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 30,803 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    I had this problem and phoned EBay for advice

Their response was to tell the customer to buy it and then I could give them location details. If they decided not to complete the transaction I would have to cancel the order.

The customer thought I was nuts and that was a 150 sale lost !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 6th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    Fair enough, it's not really an item that will sell on Facebook as I'm not in the right location for it.

It's a mountain bike, and in my county there are very few mountains or decent places to ride so not many potential buyers in local Facebook groups.

There are other selling platforms for it, I might put it on there and then, although to be honest I'm in 2 minds about selling it anyway so might pull the listing and keep it for the 3 weeks of the year I can use it
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 6th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 30,803 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    Don't cancel the listing. As the buyer has already contacted you regarding the item, eBay will assume you have done a deal outside eBay and charge you the sales fees.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 12,453 Posts
    • 8,410 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    As above don't cancel.

Just let them know to bid/buy and then they can view - hopefully you've got it set up so they can bid/buy without paying - and hopefully they understand the crazy eBay system for collection items.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 60,699 Posts
    • 43,305 Thanks
    soolin
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    Don't cancel the listing. As the buyer has already contacted you regarding the item, eBay will assume you have done a deal outside eBay and charge you the sales fees.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    I know I am the third person to say this, but this above is VERY important. Cancelling the listing now will almost certainly make the eBay bots believe you have done a private deal, and you will get some form of restriction .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Aug 18, 1:44 AM
    • 27,435 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:44 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:44 AM
    Not the right location for facebook? But your in the same location for ebay sales. Whats the difference?

As above you need to remember its not a person looking at the transaction its a computer alogorithm.

It will be..

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• marcarm
    • By marcarm 7th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    marcarm
    I have cancelled the listing, purely because I have changed my mind about selling it.

If ebay charge me the 3 selling fees then so be it, I only sell on ebay rarely so if I get a restriction then I'm not too fussed.

He messaged me asking if I sold the bike, and I said I hadn't and had changed my mind about selling it, done through ebay messages so they will be able to see no contact details had been passed, not that it makes much difference.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 60,699 Posts
    • 43,305 Thanks
    soolin
    I have cancelled the listing, purely because I have changed my mind about selling it.

If ebay charge me the 3 selling fees then so be it, I only sell on ebay rarely so if I get a restriction then I'm not too fussed.

He messaged me asking if I sold the bike, and I said I hadn't and had changed my mind about selling it, done through ebay messages so they will be able to see no contact details had been passed, not that it makes much difference.
    Originally posted by marcarm
    It won't make a difference if the ebay bots are still out there- you will get a warning and a possible restriction or temporary suspension of your account.

I had a warning back in 2017 purely because someone asked me if they could come and collect and if I could adjust the BIN price to remove the postage as they wanted to pay cash- that was still going on through ebay but was considered an offer to sell outside the platform. I was lucky as it was in the early days of the new rules and there was a leniency in that I merely got a very strict and stern warning, but no suspension.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 7th Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    marcarm
    It won't make a difference if the ebay bots are still out there- you will get a warning and a possible restriction or temporary suspension of your account.

I had a warning back in 2017 purely because someone asked me if they could come and collect and if I could adjust the BIN price to remove the postage as they wanted to pay cash- that was still going on through ebay but was considered an offer to sell outside the platform. I was lucky as it was in the early days of the new rules and there was a leniency in that I merely got a very strict and stern warning, but no suspension.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Fair enough, as I said I rarely sell on ebay, so a restriction will not be the end of the world at all. Rarely even buy on there nowadays
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Aug 18, 4:37 PM
    • 27,435 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Lots of people say i dont need ebay, they can shove it. But then years later they may regret that when they have some items to sell where ebay would be ideal. Or where someone is selling something ata bargain price.

People think ebay have better things to do than check for banned account holders and then get a shock when ebay ban them a 2nd time and can even hold your funds.

• JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 8th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    I had a similar situation where I was selling a large collection only item. Someone wanted to view but obviously Ebay doesn't allow that. Luckily the buyer bought one of my small other items I had for sale and collected that. Whilst collecting the other item (1) was able to view the original item they wanted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

3,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin