Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leitmotif
    • By leitmotif 6th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 294Posts
    • 154Thanks
    leitmotif
    Delivery charges, installation charges, etc.
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    Delivery charges, installation charges, etc. 6th Aug 18 at 8:57 AM
    Hi all,

I bought a fridge-freezer back in March. Just coming up for five months. We've always had it set to 1 C as it doesn't seem cold enough otherwise, and stuff at the back on the top shelf doesn't seem to get cold at all (at best slightly cool). We put up with it until now, when a separate problem developed. Over the past few weeks, we've had numerous instances of walking into the kitchen to find water all over the floor from the freezer, despite the freezer door being ostensibly shut and the seal around it being fine. So it's going to have to go back.

This is the first product I'll be returning since the Consumer Rights Act replaced the Sale of Goods Act, so I want to be sure I know my rights. As I understand it, after 30 days but before 6 months, I'm entitled to a repair or replacement (choice of which is at the company's discretion?). And if that doesn't work, then a full refund.

The company I bought from tends to offer a cheaper headline price compared to competitors but bump this up with a 25 delivery charge, so it works out broadly the same as its cheapest rivals. Which is fine, but when it comes to refunds or replacements, do you get the delivery charge refunded as well? After all, if I get a replacement and they won't refund the delivery charge and I also have to pay a second delivery charge for the replacement, then I'll have spent 50 getting a working fridge-freezer rather than 25, and if that fridge-freezer doesn't work and I end up getting a 'full' refund I could be 50 out of pocket and without a fridge-freezer. Is that right?

Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    Are you sure your fridge dial is degrees to start with? Mine goes from 1-5 with 5 being the coolest.

If your fridge is similar then you may have it on the warmest setting...
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 6,761 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    I wouldn't waste time taking it back, call the retailer first as large appliances like this usually have an engineer come out to your home to diagnose/repair it.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 12,639 Posts
    • 9,951 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    If you have either the short term right to reject or the final right to reject and its within 6 months from purchase then they need to refund all monies paid under the contract (which would include delivery).

Once you get past that 6 month point then they are allowed to reduce the refund, but only to account for use you have had of the goods.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 42,307 Posts
    • 17,693 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    As post 3. You won't be returning it until you report the fault to the retailer, and they will certainly want an engineer report before they make the decision to repair or replace/refund. You can only then reject it if the repair fails. Do not allow a second attempt.
    If the retailer was DSG, expect a whole load of grief before the problem is resolved.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin