Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Aug 18, 1:26 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Monday 6th August 2018
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:26 AM
    Old Style Daily Monday 6th August 2018 6th Aug 18 at 1:26 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:45 AM
    Morning everyone

The forecast is for another sunny hot day, so I have decided to go off somewhere as usual for the day. I haven’t quite decided where to go yet. I want to go somewhere different for a change and am going to have a look at the train timetable in a minute and see where I can go without too much hassle.

I’m still not doing too much housework because of the heat and not being here much. I have really taken the attitude that I may as well enjoy this weather because I won’t be going out much during the colder months. The only thing that I will do today is get the bedding on the washing line before I go out.

I’m looking forward to Wednesday. My niece has a day off work, and me, her and my nephew are going to have a day out together. It isn’t that often that I get to spend time with just them so I am really looking forward to it and pleased that they want to spend time with me.

My thoughts are with all of you who are unwell or have poorly OHs and troubles.

I hope that you all have the best day possible everyone.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Aug 18, 6:28 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 44,317 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:28 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:28 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, as he has an early gym appointment and wants to catch a lift with me.

Blue sky and sun shining - air feels a tiny bit fresher this morning - our back garden doesn't get the sun until the afternoon, and yesterday it was so hot in our garden you couldn't sit out even in the shade, there wasn't much of a breeze - forecast is for it to get cooler at the end of the week. WM has been used loads and will have to check if there's enough for a load this morning, if so I'll put that on in a mo.

Lunch yesterday was a lovely roast chicken, roasties, stuffing, mash, HG carrots, broc, cauli/broc cheese, HG green beans, peas, yorkshires and gravy, ice cream for dessert. Tonight will be scampi, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Work will be a bit manic as we have no systems to start off this morning, plus the problems with the cash machines not accepting card payments - hoping the tech guys have got the card problems sorted - we'll see.....!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 06-08-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 6th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 21,076 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    Good morning everyone
    I just missed Steve leaving for work this morning as I didn't go to bed until quite late, never mind I will text him good morning in a minute.

I have an Asda delivery this morning so I will just have a quick check of the fridge to make sure it is clean and tidy before the shopping arrives. I also want to put the hoover round as it is very hairy again in the living room. Between the pets and Lilly's long hair the carpet always looks 'fluffy' and it doesn't help now I am cross stitching again there are bits of coloured thread adding to the mix .

Storecupboard stew for dinner tonight as it is a good way to use up a load of tins and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare. I have ordered a fresh loaf of crusty bread with the shopping to mop up the gravy.

Hope all the worried and poorlies are having a better day today, know that you are all in my thoughts, take care xx

• redruby
    • By redruby 6th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 95,372 Thanks
    redruby
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    Morning all

Monday morning again it comes round far too quickly for me back to another working week, mind you once Mon and Tues are out of the way the rest of the week seems to fly by too.

Maybe Fajitas for dinner tonight dd's turn to cook so a night off for me, they are hoping to exchange this week and move next week, I kind of hope so as there is more and more stuff appearing at my house and I cant clean properly.

Must do a wash tonight and will get it on the line will also have a hoover through.

TA how is Mr TA doing ?

Hugs to all the poorly's and unwell and family members xx

Right must get on have good days all xx
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 49,695 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:09 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need.
    Yesterday CHS and I met up with Gintotmelinda and her husband at a local pub, it was so nice to meet a fellow MSEr.
    Today we are moving again, we are hoping to moor at the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 06-08-2018 at 7:14 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • tru
    • By tru 6th Aug 18, 7:16 AM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 45,544 Thanks
    tru
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:16 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:16 AM
    Morning

Back to normal! I'm on my own all day – bliss We'll go for an early-ish walk before the kids come out to play. I'll catch up with work then sort my own spreadsheets out. Must ring the hygienist (I forgot the other day). I'll hoover and dust then make a big plate of picky food – to be eaten on the sofa while watching an episode of Gilmore Girls. Then nothing but peace and quiet

Master tru's invoices are usually paid by bank transfer but the last few customers have paid with cash. Our local bank branch closed in June and it's too far to drive to the nearest one to pay the money in – it's 30 miles away. He gave the money to me and I transferred money from my account to his. This is going to work well – he doesn't have to find banking time and I don't have to go out of my way to find a cashpoint

Bulletproof
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 43,016 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    Morning

Tell me why I don't like Mondays.....cos its banana gazing day again and yes redruby it comes round far too quick.

Had another perfect sunbathing day yesterday which is good as the forecast is going down hill a bit for this week. Didn't get any work done though so will need to squeeze that in later today.

Need to pop into Next today to return some sale stuff I really don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this lot ....must have had some loopy juice for sure...a pair of shorts with a dungaree type bib....I mean really? would have looked good when I was 16
    Anyway they will be available again this afternoon for anyone who desperately wants to snap them up

Not much else happening today thinking of taking mum to the Italian we both like as they have a Monday deal of any pizza or pasta for 4.95 ...bargain ...I will probably have a pizza as they are massive and so gorgeous. She of course will moan about it being a Monday full stop and heaven help me if Morrisons are out of anything she wants as of course that will prove her theory that they are not ready

Anyway lets get this day over. TA hope Mr TA has had a comfortable night and that you got some sleep too. I know you will be by his side every possible minute but let the family give you a bit of a break if only for a nap. Thinking about you lots.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 30,316 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    Morning folks. Yesterday was a nightmare and I was at the hospital for 12 and a half hours. Got there at 11.00 to find he had somehow fallen out of bed the night before. Bruise on forehead and various cuts here and there. He was really off it most of the day, all he wanted to do was sleep. Transferred to a medical ward at teatime and they were far more on the ball about the fall than the Assessment unit. Doing his obs every half hour and worried about his high temp. He was still only wanting to sleep too. Doctor got summoned at 8.00 and asked him the usual list of questions - who is the PM, what year is it, etc etc. She decided he ought to have a CT scan to rule out a brain injury but, being Sunday night, it wasn't that easy.Someone had to be summoned in and he finally went down for the scan at 11.00!! When he got back on the ward the nurse promised she would ring me if anything was wrong and I got home at Cinderella time - the stroke of midnight. Come 1.30 and no phone call I thought it safe to go to bed.

He was still on IV a/b's and I am hoping by today I will find him much improved and more awake. Off back on for 11.00 visiting and hoping today I get home a bit sooner! No idea yet if we will get to Leeds for the Oncology scan results tomorrow.

It's youngest DGD's birthday today (8) and we are missing her birthday treat of tea at her favourite Italian restaurant in town which is a pity.

Righty ho time to get moving. The shower beckons, wm to put on and a goodie bag to pack to keep me sustained through the day. I was glad of the bagels and snacks I had taken yesterday, they kept me going through the long day.

Thanks for you who sent me good wishes yesterday and the PM's too. Much appreciated. I was bombarded with texts too and it's nice to know people care. Even Me Me texted twice! I

Hope things are improving for the others among us with poorlies, especially the hospitalised ones. Take care one and all and ((HUGS)) where wanted/needed. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 6th Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 5,156 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning All,

Very Hot and sunny day here. WM is on - will go out on line in a bit.

Holly hope you have a good day out.

TA Hope your OH is feeling better today

Plans for today sort out putting house up for sale. Make some telephone and pay some of moms bills. Hopefully also go to home and visit mom.

OH gone back to work today.

Have a good day everyone x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 16,338 Posts
    • 139,601 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and <<hugs>> for the poorlies and relatives who are worrying about them.

Another 30c forecast today ,roll on Wednesday when it s supposed to cool down to around 24c and even better Thursday when we hopefully get a drop of rain.
    Not a lot to do today I am round at DDs keeping and eye on the three lads and making sure they are fed and watered until their Dad gets back from work.
    I will have my laptop,library book and knitting so along with countless cuppas made by the boys I shall be fine. DDs smallest dog a maltese terrier is going for his hair trim on Wednesday at the moment because his coat grows like a weed he gets very hot and uncomfortable ,looks like a small lion he is so furry.He just plonks himself in front of the fan and like me hides from the heat

Hope everyone has a good Monday only 10 more days then we are all off to our IoW holiday house for a fortnight,sure to bucket down then

Have a good day chums what ever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only
    End of September totals £262.19 1st Oct £30.96
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 30,801 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Have just been out to water the pots and baskets as didn’t do it last night, like JackieO we are meant to hit 30 odd today and then cool down from Wednesday onwards.
    Need to get out soon for a few fresh bits and then will get over to see Lu, don’t like to work her in th heat of the day so she’ll probably have the day off. This afternoon am off to see my DSIL, she is so glad to be home and sleeping in her own bed at last.
    Oh TA what a rotten day yesterday for you and Mr TA, here’s hoping today is better, hugs m’dear x

Get well wishes to all poorlies and hugs to all supporting loved ones, take care folks x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 23,435 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

TA I hope you find Mr TA better today, I know all about waiting around. Have an extra hug one each.

I ended up going into the hospital yesterday after all. The locked drawer in his locker had jammed and he was missing one of his essential tablets. So I had to go in and take a strip of tablets from here. I was not happy.

In again today, there is talk of moving him, I am going to bring some of the pj's he has there and put them through the washer. So far he is still clear of the infection. They need to clear the ward to sterilise it, until then its in lock down so he is not getting the scans etc that he needs. Its all a bit of a mess and I am most unhappy about what is going on. The staff yesterday just did not seem to care.

SS went in last night, said OH had a turn during the afternoon,.......it had been noted.

My back is much the same as it will be whilst I am not able to take the painkillers as I should.

To cap it all I went to the fridge for milk this morning and it was sour. I need to get a small bottle, I am not using much whilst OH is not here.

Its very close, I have the fan on and the back door open but its not doing much good. I have towels in the washer, need to hang them out before I go out.
    Last edited by csarina2; 06-08-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 6th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 8,077 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, hope you have a good day.

TA Hope today is better for you and Mr TA

Didn't go shopping yesterday. Would have been nice to use £4 off coupon at W*itrose but it was just too hot. DH is struggling, more than usual, his health is more important than a few £'s

Not sure what we're doing today, as little as possible

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • archived user
    Morning all,

Sorry to hear your news TA and Csarina I hope today is a better day.

Up bright and early, showered and dressed. I'm hotter now than I was before my shower.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Aug 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 17,058 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Rain this morning, and lots of it. Of course, this was due to happen as I cleaned the car last night.

I had a nice weekend. TGFW came over to mine on Saturday, we got a takeaway and sat in to watch some good TV. It was ideal.

Tonight, I've got football and not much else planned, although I think I'll opt for an early night as I didn't have a good one last night.

I'm also trailing a fast for the next 2 days. Water only. I've done fasts before, and I really enjoy doing them oddly, however I've included coffee and other liquids. This time, water only. I feel it's good for the system, mentally and physically.

TA - Well it sounds like he's in the right place now to be taken care off properly. Hope the results are positive.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6,747 Posts
    • 44,169 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

Yesterday I went across to Tollcross to meet up with friends for a coffee and chat. Then I said I'd take them back to their hotel in the city centre... loads of roads closed off for cycling, loads of cars going round in circles and loads of sweary words being uttered.

I eventually got them there, gpong back to DMs house should have been a doddle, nope! Ended up back on the motorway, crossing the river again so I decided to go straight to the hospital instead. I was fairly fraught at the end of it.

Anyway, DM seems much improved. I'm hopeful she'll be walking better soon.

Today is more hospital visiting. TA, silver-oldie, snoozer and csarina - I am sending good wishes for your OHs.

Happy Monday folks.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Was up and at 'em early this morning as Mr Fix It had bloods done at the hospital. It is a drop in appointment so we were there as they opened, only to find we were still 3rd in line .
    We went on to curry's for an online pass for the xbox, so he can play with the DGS. I've told Mr Fix It that he can play for a while today, but any nonsense and I'll take the controller off him . Actually the sitting down will do him good as he's somehow twisted his knee and he kept yelling out in the night every time he turned over .
    It was on to Al*is next, lots of nearly empty shelves but they had no lemonade, cola, squash at all and very little water too. I spoke to the manager, as he was flitting around. It appears they are having problems getting quite a few items from the suppliers. I noticed their prices are creeping up too .
    I am now home and I have put a wash on, I will hang it out although it's overcast but warm at present. I shall strip the bed in a minute and the bedding will go in the WM next and I also want to clean the leather sofa.

But first another coffee, just for sustenance .
    Nelski how about peach petting ? Hope your day goes well.
    TA sending gentle hugs to you and Mr TA. I hope there is much improvement today.
    Csarina I hope your OH improves soon and they can get to the bottom of things. There's an extra hug for you.
    Gers glad your Mum's started on the recovery road. May that continue.
    I love comps and SilverOldie there's a special hug coming your way too.
    I'm sure I have forgotten some people, so please accept my apologies I must need that coffee !
    Enjoy Monday everyone, well as best you can. Hugs to all.
    Take care.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10,829 Posts
    • 119,135 Thanks
    LameWolf
    TA, Csarina, silver-oldie, snoozer and anyone else with poorly loved-ones - healing vibes for those who are poorly, and coping vibes for those caring for them.

Master tru's invoices are usually paid by bank transfer but the last few customers have paid with cash. Our local bank branch closed in June and it's too far to drive to the nearest one to pay the money in – it's 30 miles away. He gave the money to me and I transferred money from my account to his. This is going to work well – he doesn't have to find banking time and I don't have to go out of my way to find a cashpoint
    Originally posted by tru
    We do this, too - Dog-owner pays in cash; Mr LW wants to visit cashpoint cos he's out of cash, so I give him the cash and he transfers equivalent to me via online banking. Simples!
    DDs smallest dog a maltese terrier is going for his hair trim on Wednesday at the moment because his coat grows like a weed he gets very hot and uncomfortable ,looks like a small lion he is so furry.He just plonks himself in front of the fan and like me hides from the heat
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Aww, bless - he needs one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078PB2L9Q/ref=asc_df_B078PB2L9Q54572857/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B078PB2L9Q&linkCode =df0&hvadid=205211220682&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand =218028733566978526&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c &hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007224&hvtargid= pla-430298404056
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 49,695 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We made it to the bottom of the Caen Hill Flight and found a mooring so we will stay here today and set off up the Flight at sparrowfart o'clock tomorrow.

DD2 has my car whilst I'm away, used it to go to the seaside with her kids and broke down poor things.

Thinking of Csarina, TA, Snoozer and Silver oldie.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,239Users online

Martin's Twitter