Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xiaolonguk
    • By xiaolonguk 5th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    xiaolonguk
    Halfords damaged my wheels during tyre change - Advice
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    Halfords damaged my wheels during tyre change - Advice 5th Aug 18 at 10:19 PM
    Guys

Im after some advice, i have recently took my car into Halfords to have all four tyres change. Upon inspection today, ive noticed that when they have changed the tyres either the machine they use, or the tyre engineer doing the work has managed to strip the powder-coat from the top edge of the rim. You can literally see that the powder coat has been dragged around the circumference for about 3 inches. My guess is this is where the tyre bead has been broken to remove the tyre

There is visible damage to all four wheels in differing severities, im going to call the store tomorrow but was wondering where I stand ?

I believe they are going to say this is curbing damage, however the wheels are in perfect condition, curbing usually chews the wheel up, this isnt the case.

Ive done a quick google, and as the wheels are powder coated its circa 100 per wheel to have them repaired.

Thoughts ?
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5,817 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    Did you inspect the car after it was in for the service and flag up before you left the store or was it days/weeks after? If the latter you haven't got much of a chance as they'll just say you did it yourself. Can you prove they did it?
    • xiaolonguk
    • By xiaolonguk 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    xiaolonguk
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    I didnt collect the car, i was working away from home, so my brother did. I have only seen it today. Its hard to prove that its them, but you can see the damage is new, as soon as I saw it, I called the store, but it was out of workshop hours. You can see that the damage is covered in tyre soap, so that implies it was during the same event.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Aug 18, 11:07 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:07 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:07 PM
    I didnt collect the car, i was working away from home, so my brother did. I have only seen it today. Its hard to prove that its them, but you can see the damage is new, as soon as I saw it, I called the store, but it was out of workshop hours. You can see that the damage is covered in tyre soap, so that implies it was during the same event.
    Originally posted by xiaolonguk
    Another way of looking at it is the damage was already there before Halfords worked on the car.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Aug 18, 4:19 AM
    • 9,752 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    missile
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:19 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:19 AM
    Good luck
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Aug 18, 5:38 AM
    • 27,784 Posts
    • 11,272 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:38 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:38 AM
    100 per wheel?? Do they need repairs other than the powdercoat?

Local place to me charge about 40 to strip and powdercoat. There is another place that gets lots of comments on the forums who are even cheaper but they can be patchy with the quality of their work.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • xiaolonguk
    • By xiaolonguk 6th Aug 18, 6:47 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    xiaolonguk
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:47 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:47 AM
    That was the first quote i got. The wheels are matt black which seems to bump the price. Also the rim size seems to change it to.

The wheels need zero repair that would be caused by curbing etc... They are in perfect order. Like I say you can see on each tyre where they have broken the bead seal. You couldn't damage the powder coat like it's happened driving the car. How do I post a photo. It'll make more sense
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 4,969 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    How do I post a photo.
    Originally posted by xiaolonguk
    Upload it to a photo hosting site and then post a (broken) link to it here. e.g.

www . website . com/pathtoimage.blah
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    40 a wheel the last time I paid for powder coating.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 18,740 Posts
    • 17,109 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Photo definitely needed.

If the powder coating has failed that badly on something as predictable as a tyre change, then the question is whether it was done properly in the first place.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 7th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    I would say you've little chance of getting anywhere unless you, and the Halfords fitter, went around the vehicle both before and after the tyres were fitted, agreed there were no defects before the work was done, and that there are now. There's no way they're just going to hand over 400 to get your wheels fully restored unless you can prove that they caused the damage. A few quid for a goodwill gesture, maybe. For future reference, if your wheels are perfect, make a big deal of pointing it out before they even touch them.

A good tyre fitting company will insist on walking around the car with you before they start work - if you have the kind of wheels that warrant it, or are particularly susceptible to damage - just to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,533Posts Today

9,418Users online

Martin's Twitter