Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paye
    • By paye 5th Aug 18, 9:57 PM
    • 345Posts
    • 292Thanks
    paye
    Virgin Media Crooks. !
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:57 PM
    Virgin Media Crooks. ! 5th Aug 18 at 9:57 PM
    Following the recent withdrawals of UKTV channels by Virgin Media, i phoned Virgin to let them know my disappointment of losing approximately 25 channels from my tv package, and was looking to change my contract over to just broadband and phone deal.

Virgin basically point blanked refused to change my contract on the basis I was still in contract and if I wanted to cancel I will have to pay 70 disconnection fee. After some time with them on the phone the best deal they could offer me was 100mb broadband and phone with free at weekends for 55 per month and they will cancel the disconnection fee.

Currently I am on a VIP deal with them which consist of 350mb broadband, Full tv with sky sports and movies and I'm paying 93 pm for this.

The best they could offer me was taking 3 p/m of my monthly bill with the tv still included. I know they are free to air channels but these channels were part reason why I took the tv package out as I don't have a roof aerial to receive FTA channels.

They are offering new customer with 350mb bb and phone for 45 pm but they can't offer me this as I am an existing customer.

Is their anything else I can do?
    Save Save Save

SPC 593 paye
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 20,285 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    Is their anything else I can do?
    Originally posted by paye

You can either pay the charge and leave, or wait until your minimum term is up and then leave for no charge. If you haven't got, and don't want, an aerial, then Sky or Freesat would be something to look at. BT TV uses an internet connection, but I think the FTA channels still need an aerial.

If you really want those channels, then it will probably be worth paying the 70 and looking into satellite alternatives now rather than paying 40/50 a month for the next 7 months.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 11,068 Posts
    • 11,686 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    Some VM customers have reported being allowed to cancel their contracts without charge. So it might be worth going back to them one last time. Maybe they are keen to keep you because you pay so much? TBH, even if they are unmoved, paying the 70 is probably worth it, and will be repaid in a few months with a provider that offers better VFM.

Not all the UKTV channels are FTA - I think it's about half and half. So, depending on which channels you wanted to access, you may need another Pay TV service in order to do that. I'm fairly sure there aren't 25 channels there, either, unless you are including +1s.

350Mbps sounds excessive (in fact, I can't imagine more than a tiny percentage of residential customers making good use of that). So... if/when you begin looking for an alternative provider don't be put off by the fact that the typical deal is for around a tenth of that bandwidth.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 05-08-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 6th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    Not sure where you get your 25 channels from, it's just 10, half of which I doubt anyone watches. You have of course gained some in exchange.

Dave, Gold, Drama, Alibi, W, Eden, Good Food, Yesterday, Really and Home
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 7,220 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    The first rule of any negotiation is not to exaggerate. Virgin Media know full well you have only lost 10 channels and will probably have dismissed the rest of your comments as hyperbole.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 7th Aug 18, 7:44 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:44 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:44 AM
    technically, there is around 22 channels lost, including HD and plus 1 channels.

I have two accounts with them. my current VIP one was due to end this month - negotiated a price of 90 for next 12 months, as wont find cheaper anywhere else. that is 2 more expensive than my introductory price from last year!
    2nd contract for another property, also VIP, was only taken out in May this year - they would have let me leave without penalty, but I opted for 5 off per month for remainder of my contract, as the UKTV channels are not used very often, and are also free to air channels

its no use calling to complain from the get go - negotiations will not be so god if that is done. don't threaten to leave unless you actually will leave. they are aware what they have on offer is best on the market at the moment. Sky top Q package with 2TB box, one mini box and fibre broadband is 97 a month for 18 months. However new customers have to fork out around 130 for installation, boxes, activation etc... believe me, I have looked
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 11,068 Posts
    • 11,686 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    Dave, Gold, Drama, Alibi, W, Eden, Good Food, Yesterday, Really and Home
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks, and IIUC, these channels are FTA:-
    Dave, Drama, Yesterday and Really.

And these are not:-
    Gold, Alibi, W, Eden, Good Food and Home.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 10th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    Haven't you got access to the UKTV app? It's on my Youview box, but never used it as I record the odd programme that I may watch anyway.
    • Nicholas
    • By Nicholas 11th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Nicholas
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    UKTV channels are back on Virgin now (or shortly will be).
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 12th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Craig1981
    all back and working
    good thing i negotiated my contracts earlier this week - win win
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,720Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin