Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndrewAfresh2
    • By AndrewAfresh2 5th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AndrewAfresh2
    Need to make good shelf holes on home sale?
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    Need to make good shelf holes on home sale? 5th Aug 18 at 9:28 PM
    I'm completing on my first home sale soon and told the removal firm rep that I will take my shelves, which are fixed to the walls. She told me I will need to fill & paint the ensuing holes, otherwise I am breaching the sale contract. Is she right? Thank you for any helpful replies
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 5th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    They ain't exactly going to sue you for it, but it may be disappointing. Are they aware you're taking them? Would leave nails in walls from pictures, but if I ever felt the need to take fitted shelves, I would probably try to make good the holes. Sometimes it can look worse though if you can't match the paint or wallpaper!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    Depends, without telling us they were removing them my current place was removed of pretty much all shelving.

And some massive lumps of plaster knocked out too! Not just little holes.

Given my estimate of their competance though it's best they left it as they did.

Quite why anyone would want to keep old sheves though is beyond me! I personally think they burnt them given the state of the fireplace when I moved in!

But yes, filling the holes is reaonable. Takes two minutes. Though painting them, seems odd to do unless you still have old tins around. But I guess technically unless you described the state they would get the house in as fixed holes with unpainted plaster then you probably should. Maybe just leave em! Imagine nice new shelving raather than old crap! Though supposing you have met them and you know the price they are paying you should know what they would put up with!
    Last edited by Carrot007; 05-08-2018 at 9:42 PM.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 5th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    Have you informed the buyer you are taking them?

Yes, you should make good the holes, You could have a chat with the buyer and find out if they are planning on redecorating in which case they might not be too bothered.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 5th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    Would you like to find gaping holes in the walls of your new property? If not fill them in
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021 17296
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    Last house we bought, the vendors took all the shelving out and the wood burner (all of which they said were staying and the wood burner was part of our offer (XX to include the wood burner)) I was incredibly disappointed and annoyed. I hadn't intended redecorating immediately but the holes they left and the lumps of plaster that had fallen out of the wall meant we had to do so. It peeved me greatly.

So, yes - fill the holes - treat others as you would wish to be treated.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 5th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    Why are you taking shelves? That's the sort of thing you would generally leave. You're not taking carpets, curtains and light fittings too are you?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    Last house we bought, the vendors took all the shelving out and the wood burner
    Originally posted by TamsinC

See not just me then!

TBH I think they were in a sulk becuase I paid 8.5K less than originally agreed. Which was ridiculous but had wanted the place, but the valuation said no. They still got 5K over the valuation I was gifted.

Also one ofthe double glazed doors has one pane broken. I am assuming it was done by them on moving. Though I do remember that door being open (hiding that side) when looking round. Surveyor did not mention it either. Could have tricked him too I guess.

Some people are asses. Does not mean I will be. I cleaned my old place within an inch and left a bottle of champagne for the new owners. I got a place I had to clean for over a week to become anywhere near what I would call reasonable. I also left empty bins. I got full bins (with everything stuffed in wrong bins as general waste).

All I am saying is if your shelves are priceless or at least to you and you do want to take them (I cannot imigine it) then do your best. If you painted a tester pot is around a quid these days. And filler is cheap (buy unmixed and add water yourself and it's nearly free!).

(I could also mention the chosen colours, Bright Red for instance. Still a couple of coats of white and some magnolia on top and it looked fine!)
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 6th Aug 18, 2:06 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    tlc678910
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:06 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:06 AM
    I have always heard people describe fixtures and fitting that you are supposed to leave (unless you have made other arrangements with the buyers) as "if you turned the property upside down things that would not fall off the walls are fixtures and fittings that should remain" e.g. Fitted wardrobes in bedrooms, fitted units in living rooms, fireplaces, fitted appliances in kitchens. I would not include screwed to the wall pictures, mirrors or tv brackets in this though.

I would leave your shelves as removing them would leave a mess and to replace them is probably not expensive. You would probably choose a different style/size for a different property and might not even end up using them.

Tlc
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Aug 18, 6:46 AM
    • 25,874 Posts
    • 94,222 Thanks
    Davesnave
    She told me I will need to fill & paint the ensuing holes, otherwise I am breaching the sale contract. Is she right? Thank you for any helpful replies
    Originally posted by AndrewAfresh2

Here's a possibly unhelpful reply.

Why did you feel the need to have the law explained here? The way we treat others isn't all based on adherence to laws.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 6th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 6,823 Posts
    • 6,438 Thanks
    00ec25
    yes, under the terms of the contract you are expected to make good. However, as others have recounted above, I rather wish my vendor had just left things alone and "made good". When they took their shelves their idea of making good was to partly fill the holes with white mastic and not bother to paint. Getting the mastic out and filling the holes properly before being able to paint was just a waste of my time and theirs in the first place.

So yes, by all means apply the law, but as Davesnave says above, treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, not because the law means you have to, since legally they did make good in my case, but practically I'd wished they hadn't.
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 6th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    exiled_red
    I would be careful here, things that are attached to the wall (as well as things like carpets and curtains) are usually considered in fixtures and fittings which are included in the sale unless otherwise negotiated.
    • googler
    • By googler 6th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 14,814 Posts
    • 9,724 Thanks
    googler
    I'm completing on my first home sale soon and told the removal firm rep that I will take my shelves, which are fixed to the walls. She told me I will need to fill & paint the ensuing holes, otherwise I am breaching the sale contract. Is she right? Thank you for any helpful replies
    So, what does your sale contract say on the subject?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,553 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My sellers took the shelves, leaving the holes... beyond disappointed .... I've no skills for that, so had to live with gaping holes for over 4 years... hopefully, today, a handyman's going to remove all those fixtures and fill the holes....

Leave the shelves... FGS... they're just shelves. You can't have an emotional attachment to a shelf can you?
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 6th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Margot123
    Does the removal firm rep have some insight into your contract with the buyer?

I suspect they are saying this to cover their own backs, as they will presumably be handling the shelves once removed. Who is to say their employees didn't damage the walls?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 32,738 Posts
    • 19,702 Thanks
    getmore4less

When did the removal firm rep get sight of your contract?

What did you agree with the buyer about the shelves?
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 6th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    sal_III
    These better be some mahogany shelves with silver/gold brackets, otherwise it's just petty.

Regardless of what the contract/law says about it, your buyer will have to be equally petty to pursue this if you leave holes in the wall.

So don't worry too much about the legal side. The moral side is a different story...
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 6th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    Margot123
    Perhaps the removal firm rep doubles-up as a legal adviser in their spare time ;-)
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow
    I assumed it was mentioned to the removal company so that they were aware of everything that needs to be transported. Removal companies must see all kinds of disputes and extraordinary things being taken or left. I would see this as the rep trying to be helpful rather than offering legal advice.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 6th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    maisie cat
    People do odd things when they move house, I would have thought that the time needed to remove the shelves and make good is more than the cost of new shelving. Most people assume that anything fixed is left behind unless agreed otherwise.
    I was discussing with hubby the other day whether buyers would be annoyed if we left the wall mounted TV bracket behind, it's a universal bracket & we concluded that we'd leave it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

2,217Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin