Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Burnsy420
    • By Burnsy420 5th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CCJ received cannot afford increments
    • #1
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    CCJ received cannot afford increments 5th Aug 18 at 7:40 PM
    Hello all,

    So as the title says i have recently received a CCJ in the post stating i owe 545 which must be paid in increments of 75 a month which is virtually impossible at the moment im just looking for advice since i am stuck at this moment i dont even know how to go about paying this since i think its cheque and i have no clue since never used those, and i am not sure if they will accept a lower increment? 75 isnt far off what i can afford, im just very worried about what is going to happen if they refuse to lower the amount.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 5th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 13,362 Posts
    • 10,418 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    See if this applies

    Can you afford at least 15 per month ?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Aug 18, 1:02 AM
    • 16,437 Posts
    • 15,543 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:02 AM
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:02 AM
    Or, If its been longer than 14 days, you need to fill in court form N245 (application to vary a court order).

    Send that to the court to vary your payment amount.

    Note, there may be a fee payable.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
  • National Debtline
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    Hi Burnsy420 and welcome to the forum

    Did you respond to the original court claim and make an offer of payment? If you did, you will have 14 days to ask the court to reconsider the decision. This is called a redetermination and is free.

    If more than 14 days has passed, or you did not respond to the original claim with an offer of payment, you will need to apply for a variation. You can find the details on how to do this, and the forms you need to fill in, here

    Best wishes

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,336Posts Today

7,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jeremyskidmore: @MartinSLewis I like Martin and he comes out with some excellent advice for consumers - particularly re-pointless Xmas?

  • RT @davidgill1985: @MartinSLewis I actually love these polls (sad I know) - but imagine how amazing it would be to be a lion or soar the sk?

  • RT @susie_dent: Let's never forget the 18th century Scottish term 'hurkle-durkling': lounging in bed long after it's time to get up.

  • Follow Martin