Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 5th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    • 20,659Posts
    • 234,631Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th August 2018
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th August 2018 5th Aug 18 at 6:36 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Empty bin and wipe/wash it out - keave it outside to dry in the sunshine it out
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc Don't forget the toaster crumb tray
    Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
    Clean whatever you sit on - Don't forget the legs - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!

Level 2

Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
    Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
    Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
    Wipe window sills and clean the windows
    Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last leg into your mealplan
    Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3

Dust any dining room furniture
    Wipe skirting boards
    Sweep/mop/polish floor

Extras

Binbag Dance
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    check diary for the week - have you got all the cards you need?
    Deal with a pile!
    sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Triffic Tuesday - out on the tiles
    (Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain!
    Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Clean shower tray
    Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
    Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
    With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
    Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
    Bleach the drain
    Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
    Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
    Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bite the bullet and bin them!
    If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards (Natty asked us to clean one last week!)clean out another one!
    Check those PE kits made it into the wash
    Start name labelling any new uniform, including shoes (please!)

Wednesday - Living Room Loveliness

Level 1

Open the windows!
    Empty any bins.
    Sort through the magazine rack - and fling.
    Give the cushions a good plumping.
    Remove anything that doesn't live here.
    With a damp cloth wipe remotes, light switches and the bit just above and below the door handles, where sticky fingers leave residues. And the handles too, of course

Level Two
    Lift sofa cushions, swap around if you can and vacuum all those crevices
    Dust everywhere - check for cobwebs!
    Dust/vacuum light fittings - wash any glass shades

Level Three
    Wipe/dust skirting boards
    Move all the furniture you can and vacuum/sweep/mop under it

Chillies - - your home will be lovely if you help too!
    Make your own bed.

Remove anything icky from your rooms and bin it.
    Lift everything off the floor and vacuum it.
    Put your clean clothes away tidily and your dirty clothes in the laundry.

Extras
    Sort out your herbs and spices - fling OOD stuff!
    Are all your gloves, hats and scarves washed?
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom

Thursday Thrills-in-the-bedroom

Level 1 strip off

the bedsheets - and fling them in the washer
    Open the window (if it's not actually raining) and leave the bed to air.
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Do this as soon as you arise from your slumber and let the bed air.
    Make the aired bed with clean linen

Level 2 - by the bed
    clean and clear those bedside cabinets
    move then (if you can) and vacuum under them
    dust/polish/wipe as appropriate and put them back.
    Dust anywhere else

Level 3 go the whole hog
    dust everywhere else
    polish mirrors
    vacuum

Extras
    bedside cabinet drawers - empty; discard all carp, put back only what you need there
    HHI
    Sweep the patio (especially if the bunny has been digging up moss and making it messy)
    Freezer inventory? You will be stocking up for Christmas soon (or any other festival you celebrate) so what can be used up to free up some space? Meal plan to use stuff up

Friday Frenzy - pick a room - any room
    Conservatory, dining room, kids room, spare room,...

Level 1
    Open the windows
    If there's a bed in here strip it and wash the bedding
    If it's other soft furnishings vacuum
    Throw out any obvious rubbish
    Clear the floor

level 2
    Wipe the windows/frames/sills
    Remake the bed (if there is one)
    plump cushions

Level 3
    dust and vacuum

Extras
    Buy fresh flowers and put them somewhere you will see them, often
    Wipe and water houseplants
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    make sure you've got your preferred tipple chilling
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Last edited by Valli; 08-08-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 6
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 52,852 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Pigpen, if you're feeling under the weather you can hardly expect to be a whirlwind of activity. It's hard to let oneself just stop but occasionally it is necessary.

Yesterday I achieved very little and that is frustrating, but I've been pushing myself far too hard for much too long and I needed to slow down. Today I may or may not have enough energy to be involved with a local Pride event, and if not I'll be disappointed but I just can't go on as I was.

It's due to rain all day today and I still need to get at least one more coat on some wood, and ideally two. I've wrapped the wooden poles in huge plastic bags but it's hard to get paint to dry inside them. It all looks very odd.

We're having a new boiler at some point over the next couple of months so that'll be disruptive and we're also thinking of having a woodburner installed in the dining room. The boiler will be a replacement and it's the same excellent plumber who put the current one in 17 years ago, so that should be relatively straightforward but nothing ever is, is it? The woodburner would be more complicated but might be one of our better ideas. We'll see. We might leave that until next year.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 8:09 AM
    • 4,739 Posts
    • 55,118 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hugs for those who need them, and for any poorlies or anyone dealing with idiots, I hope things improve soon. And HB, please slow down and get a cleaner.

I spent the night in pain as usual and am now trying to ignore it. May be I am one of the idiots! Anyway, got up to find that DH has prepared tonights dinner in the slow cooker before he left for work, had a note that it's been on since 4.30am.

I am now off work for almost 3 weeks which nothing much planned. Today I intend to walk the dogs and do some gardening.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: 798.91
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 11th Aug 18, 8:09 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 37,196 Thanks
    ionafan
    Honey Bear, slow down! You have taken on an awful lot recently.

Pigpen, sorry to hear about your MiL and DD1's OH - GWS vibes on the way for both of them and for yourself. Things always seem to come in 3s, don't they? I hope you and your family enjoy your holiday.

Jojo, if it was my family I would share your frustration.

Jazee, sorry to hear that you're under the weather too. GWS vibes to you too.

Narc0, don't worry. I shall be fully fit by Wednesday!

Pleased to say that after dosing myself up at bedtime I had a reasonable night's sleep and my mouth is far less sore this morning. Also I made progress on the paperwork yesterday evening while DH was out

Today I have a list of a dozen things to do (none of them genuine flying) in addition to possibly taking my friend out for lunch at the forest cafe and walking Rosie.

Sun is shining. After yesterday's heavy rain I am quite pleased to see it back!
    Last edited by ionafan; 11-08-2018 at 8:13 AM.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 100,259 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Sitting drinking my 3rd black coffee of the morning as the lads load the van. Been up since 5.30am, been through delays on the buses, 1 train and two tubes by 8am.

I am just baffled how pathetic (and apathetic) his entire family can be. The only one who isn't is his father, who needed somebody to say 'I don't care what you think, you need an ambulance'.

Sounds horrid, but I can see why the man walked out on his wife about ten years ago, as she's the one their kids get this frankly useless, don't know what to do so do absolutely nothing (with the result of other people getting harmed) behaviour from.

Heaven knows what time we'll be back, but I suppose at least I won't be cleaning the house today.

That's a job for tomorrow.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 11th Aug 18, 10:10 AM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 21,202 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

Piggers I wish I was closer so I could help. Have a hug xx

We are ready for off guys, see you all in a week xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Aug 18, 11:36 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 52,852 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I did Plymouth Pride in the pouring rain and had a great time. Lodger left, so we've got the house to ourselves for a few weeks - hurrah! I spoke to the chalet owners and will post all the window keys to them, so they're all enveloped up and ready to go. OH did the shopping too - another hurrah! And I've broken the back of the wretched minutes, so I can finish them off tomorrow. OH thinks he's found the shed of his dreams and has ordered it so that'll clear a lot of the stuff up in the yard and he'll get over his #shedenvy. I think Kelpie's eye is better. All good stuff.

Something I listed on the Bay of E finished a week ago and didn't sell. It was buyer collect. Randomly a person contacted me today: Would I package it up for them and they'd arrange a courier to collect it? Yes I would, but only if they paid x more than the listed price. A stony silence came back the stern reply. Why do people think they are entitled to my time and materials for free? I'm sick of waiting in for people who don't turn up, or turn up late, or say a day later they couldn't find the house - despite very careful instructions. So - No, basically.

And I did the microwave while cooking supper, and vacuumed the ground floor this morning so the hovel doesn't look disgusting. It's been raining all day and that's going to continue for another 36 hours. We can really do with it, too.
    Keeping it AF
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 12th Aug 18, 12:41 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 37,196 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well done on all counts, Honey Bear

I have finally dealt with a large frog and completed the church Gift Aid claim up to the end of the last tax year Unfortunately that has also resulted in a couple of extra things that I had forgotten about being added to my list!
    I took my friend out for a couple of hours and walked Rosie in the woods before the rain came down.
    I have eaten better today and am almost back on normal food - should be fine by Wednesday, Narc0
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 4,739 Posts
    • 55,118 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok today.

Yesterday, I did lots of weeding. The dogs didn't get a walk as it was too warm then we had visitors, and today it is pouring with rain which means I can't paint my outside furniture.

So I plan to get in the greenhouse (and maybe shed) for a sort out, and I've some minor decorating jobs to do indoors if really necessary.

Have a great day everyone.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 124,826 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

It is raining here, I sort of think the grass is sloooooooooooooow recovering, but it has a looooooooooooog way to go.

OH is annoying me today, and it is still early, he has the telly on, and the sound on his laptop listening to something about bikes, the sound of both is clashing with my hearing aids..............I have suggested I turn the telly off and got that look..

Done nothing so far, going to
    Hoover around
    Sort out the dinning roomm it seems to have become a dumping ground.
    Sort out greenhouse ready for plants that need to overwinter inside.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 38,589 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Pigpen I know you are not a fluffy, huggy person but just sending you a few strength vibes. You are amazing and I hope all those who rely on you realise it.

So after a pretty rubbish week full of cold and with a sore eye plus the dog needing to go to the vet, a long trip to pick up the new car and a million and one other little things I have been feeling a bit flat this weekend.

HB get a cleaner, if you need it and can afford it, no question. Dont leave us though, I am sure there will still be flying to do!

DH is terrible with DIY because he is very very fussy and hates workmen doing things in the house, even if he doesn't have the time or skills to do the job himself. This tends to mean that things just get left. We really need the drive redoing but we cant just get a man to come and give us some options then just let him get on with it. DH wants to be involved and know exactly what materials are being used and how it's being done - even though he knows diddly squat about putting down a new drive. Sigh.

Right, some home admin this morning, a pile of DSs clothes to sort through to see if anything is worth ebaying and the rest to go to the CS and the July month end (late) to do for DH.

Such a novelty to see the rain steadily coming down outside!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 11:29 AM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 100,259 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Back home for a couple of days before the next trip.

Everybody was grumpy and faffing about, so I ended up unloading the van, setting up the majority of the gear, packing things away afterwards, loading the van properly and sorting out our escort to leave the site safely, whilst maintaining smooth diplomatic relations with the Stage Manager (who could see I was clearly wrangling Idiot Man Children).

I then adopted the nighttime f*off filter (it's what you do when you don't want anything to do with the people you are travelling with - daytime is sitting with hat, sunglasses and earphones - at night, it's earphones and a beanie hat pulled down over your eyes in the van), refused to do any lifting other than getting into the back and passing things out/guarding the gear as it was carried indoors by the IMCs.

However, travel home was fine and I feel like I've had a pretty good sleep.

Got to pop out for a short time today, but other than that, I think I'm going to coerce Himself into doing a decent Sunday Dinner, shove some washing in the machine - and have a very, very long bath.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 4,739 Posts
    • 55,118 Thanks
    Jazee
    It stopped raining so me and the dogs packed up our rucksack and went a walking in the countryside for two and a half hours. Just having a rest now while DH makes lunch.

I think I will read a book today and then soak in the bath. Will probably take the dogs for a quick walk round the block later and I need to put the recycling out for collection.

All other dailies are done.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 10,822 Posts
    • 119,049 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The lounge looks almost good! Mr LW vac'd and we did a thorough dust between us yesterday, ahead of today's meet'n'greet, which has now been and gone.

FREE TO GOOD HOME:
    One overgrown, unfriendly, bitey, growly Black Dog.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 36,835 Posts
    • 474,081 Thanks
    pigpen
    If anyone needs a slap.. send them my way because I am so fluffed off it is unreal.. I have pains in my chest again (I am almost convinced it is angina lol) my stomach is playing up again.. and I am fit to murder half the people in my house..

SIMPLE SIMPLE idiot-proof instructions..

1. Buy noodles and bread thins... what did we get? ... nothing...

2. DD3 going camping at 1pm today.. when does she pack and decide to tell me all the things she needs? 12:35pm... tough monkey nuts mate.. I've been telling you for 3 DAYS to tell me this info!!
    3. Where is the sleeping bag.. it was on top of the towel cupboard... I hear crashing about... OH is IN THE LOFT!!! WTAF!!?????? Did you LOOK on top of the cupboard... yes?? ... really, because the tent is here.... sleeping bag was under Dots bed.. second place it could have been...

4. DS3... uni application... due in mid-January.. is it done for clearing which opens this week?? Is it heck!! Cue much ranting... 'I don't have a personal statement'... seriously??? Fluffing well write it then you great gelatinous globule of frog snot!!!

5. DS2... SEND... THAT... EMAIL... x4..... **rage**
    6. Squeak... COVER YOUR DERRIERE!!!

7. Bath your daughters... shut up, stop piffling about and get the snuff on with it!!!! .... while they soak their filth off empty the cat tray and sort the empty bottles into the recycling.. just shut up and get on with it!!!! and put your snotting phone away!!
    8. .. washing down NOW.. all of it.. no excuses.. shut up and get on with it..

is it too early for vodka????? With my rennies & gaviscon

I swear I live in a cabbage patch!!!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/07/2018 52998.57 (2.41% int.)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 36,835 Posts
    • 474,081 Thanks
    pigpen
    LW.. send it here... I will transform it into a fluffy ginger kitten or eat it.. I'm fit to single handedly take on the Hun army today!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/07/2018 52998.57 (2.41% int.)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 124,826 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Blimey

Been for a walk out, dodging the rain drops.

Check emails and find I have won a competition of a day out locally, to an event, so well happy. (saved 30 on tickets, very MSE)

Dinner to be done, HM chicken curry and rice tonight.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 100,259 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Have emptied the fridge of lifeforms because Himself said he wanted me to 'check everything we have' and give him ideas of what to cook for the days before we go away again. I believe that it's frowned upon in polite society to mutter 'Nothing. I want to have food I actually like for a change', so I opted for meek silence and chucking things into a carrier bag.

We have milk, three types of jam, seven cherry tomatoes and some fruit squash.

Apparently, it's bad that I've bought food/ingredients for the freezer and not eaten it all yet. Surely, that's the point - it stays frozen until it's needed/wanted?

In addition to that, I discovered that the previous emptying of moth contaminated ingredients was mostly completed, except for the two bags of things that were still open (malted bread flour and chia seeds) and were put aside for disposal were taken out of the disposal pile and put back at the top and back of the cupboard. Moths suitably splatted, bags of contamination disposed of.

I've sent him to the shop for all those unimportant things (this being the same person who went to the shop yesterday morning during loading to get Food and came back with a bag of beer and a cheap Red Bull for me - he didn't get away with that one lightly) - butter, eggs, cheese and potatoes. I reckon I can make something tolerable each day if he keeps out of my way occasionally.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 52,852 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    - I need to get the Minutes and papers sent off
    Originally posted by ionafan
    I hope yours are gone - mine are! Hurrah!

Hob done.

I find OH needs an explanation about absolutely everything, Yorkshire Lass, the more to retain half of it and spout it out at other people so he can impress them with his expertise. It doesn't work, and it certainly doesn't mean he helps me do DIY!

If I can get up to the attic to find a suitably thin paint brush without the larger of the two kittens scrambling up the ladder after me I might finish the painting tomorrow. It's still much too wet and more rain is due to do it this afternoon. Higgs made it to the top of the loft ladder in about five seconds the very first time he saw it and has a very strong grip so it was the very devil to get him back down again.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 12-08-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 100,259 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I hope yours are gone - mine are! Hurrah!

Hob done.

I find OH needs an explanation about absolutely everything, Yorkshire Lass, the more to retain half of it and spout it out at other people so he can impress them with his expertise. It doesn't work, and it certainly doesn't mean he helps me do DIY!

If I can get up to the attic to find a suitably thin paint brush without the larger of the two kittens scrambling up the ladder after me I might finish the painting tomorrow. It's still much too wet and more rain is due to do it this afternoon. Higgs made it to the top of the loft ladder in about five seconds the very first time he saw it and has a very strong grip so it was the very devil to get him back down again.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I find Himself doesn't do explanations, they only confuse him. Which is annoying when I need to know what has been done to avoid it happening again/having to get somebody else involved. So when somebody is here doing 'work', I ask if I can watch and learn - nobody's said no so far. It means I don't tend to end up with somebody attempting to baffle me with bull**** - unlike a certain person.

The smoke alarm has already announced that he's cooking and, for some reason, he's using a blender. Gravy, perhaps? I'm really hoping he's not ruined a perfectly good Sunday Dinner with Mediterranean vegetables again, as they taste absolutely foul (ignoring the usually almost raw chopped onion that generally appears in even the best ones) when I just want some thick Bisto to go with the spuds.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 52,852 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    So when somebody is here doing 'work', I ask if I can watch and learn - nobody's said no so far.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

When our plumber was newly involved with bringing on students at the CFE he was looking for a subject to do his practice micro-teach on. It just so happened I wanted to learn how to reseal the silicone around the bath, shower, hob and sink at exactly that time, although he was here to do something completely different.

So he had a practice micro-teach on me. It takes me forever to do but it means I can reseal everything when they start to look a bit shabby.

Very useful but OH isn't the slightest bit interested.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin