Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 5th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    • 20,574Posts
    • 233,864Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th August 2018
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 6th August 2018 5th Aug 18 at 6:36 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Empty bin and wipe/wash it out - keave it outside to dry in the sunshine it out
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc Don't forget the toaster crumb tray
    Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
    Clean whatever you sit on - Don't forget the legs - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!

Level 2

Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
    Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
    Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
    Wipe window sills and clean the windows
    Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last leg into your mealplan
    Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3

Dust any dining room furniture
    Wipe skirting boards
    Sweep/mop/polish floor

Extras

Binbag Dance
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    check diary for the week - have you got all the cards you need?
    Deal with a pile!
    sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Triffic Tuesday - out on the tiles
    (Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain!
    Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Clean shower tray
    Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
    Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
    With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
    Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
    Bleach the drain
    Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
    Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
    Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bite the bullet and bin them!
    If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards (Natty asked us to clean one last week!)clean out another one!
    Check those PE kits made it into the wash
    Start name labelling any new uniform, including shoes (please!)

Wednesday - Living Room Loveliness

Level 1

Open the windows!
    Empty any bins.
    Sort through the magazine rack - and fling.
    Give the cushions a good plumping.
    Remove anything that doesn't live here.
    With a damp cloth wipe remotes, light switches and the bit just above and below the door handles, where sticky fingers leave residues. And the handles too, of course

Level Two
    Lift sofa cushions, swap around if you can and vacuum all those crevices
    Dust everywhere - check for cobwebs!
    Dust/vacuum light fittings - wash any glass shades

Level Three
    Wipe/dust skirting boards
    Move all the furniture you can and vacuum/sweep/mop under it

Chillies - - your home will be lovely if you help too!
    Make your own bed.

Remove anything icky from your rooms and bin it.
    Lift everything off the floor and vacuum it.
    Put your clean clothes away tidily and your dirty clothes in the laundry.

Extras
    Sort out your herbs and spices - fling OOD stuff!
    Are all your gloves, hats and scarves washed?
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom

Thursday Thrills-in-the-bedroom

Level 1 strip off

the bedsheets - and fling them in the washer
    Open the window (if it's not actually raining) and leave the bed to air.
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Do this as soon as you arise from your slumber and let the bed air.
    Make the aired bed with clean linen

Level 2 - by the bed
    clean and clear those bedside cabinets
    move then (if you can) and vacuum under them
    dust/polish/wipe as appropriate and put them back.
    Dust anywhere else

Level 3 go the whole hog
    dust everywhere else
    polish mirrors
    vacuum

Extras
    bedside cabinet drawers - empty; discard all carp, put back only what you need there
    HHI
    Sweep the patio (especially if the bunny has been digging up moss and making it messy)
    Freezer inventory? You will be stocking up for Christmas soon (or any other festival you celebrate) so what can be used up to free up some space? Meal plan to use stuff up

Friday Frenzy - pick a room - any room
    Conservatory, dining room, kids room, spare room,...

Level 1
    Open the windows
    If there's a bed in here strip it and wash the bedding
    If it's other soft furnishings vacuum
    Throw out any obvious rubbish
    Clear the floor

level 2
    Wipe the windows/frames/sills
    Remake the bed (if there is one)
    plump cushions

Level 3
    dust and vacuum

Extras
    Buy fresh flowers and put them somewhere you will see them, often
    Wipe and water houseplants
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    make sure you've got your preferred tipple chilling
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Last edited by Valli; 08-08-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 3
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 7th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 38,452 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

atb yes, brilliant things, highly recommend.

Oh gilly how awful for you, hugs x

So I am on the work - clean - cook - clean - sleep - work - clean - cook train. You get the picture. Did an online shop last night and because of website troubles it took me ages.

Getting ready for the paid stuff, have a good day all x
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 20,825 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All

Thanks for the input ladies, will treat myself to one I think

I could have strangled DH last night. I said I'd had a really busy day catching up as we had been away for a week. He looked at me and said "what on earth have you got to catch up on" Needless to say he got short shrift.

We go away again this weekend so I am busily getting organised for that. Looking forward to it but also very very nervous as it's something new for us and DS behaviour has been tricky recently. It seems to be that new places and routines trigger it.

Onto today - I need to post some cards, visit the chazza, go volunteering, book an online shop for delivery when we get home from holiday, poo-pick, generally tidy up etc etc....

Have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 7th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 21,505 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Good morning ladies - sorry I've been AWOL for a while, but the summer break has been very busy.

Sorry to hear about your pooch Gilly - big hugs for you xxx

I have a Karcher window cleaner - very impressed with it. It would be a good buy ATB.

Had a bit of excitement yesterday when a car crashed into our fencing in front of the orchard late last night. Young lad and his GF going rather fast and got caught out with the farmer pulling out of the side lane with a trailer after combine-harvesting in the dark (his machine has amazing floodlights!). Luckily nobody hurt, but the car is a write off. They missed our steel reinforced stone wall by about two metres and got a rather softer landing on the fence. Parents arrived and I recognised the mum as a local County Councillor for the next ward. She was very nice if a little shaken up. Apparently her daughter had rolled her car two months ago, so both her babies had had lucky escapes

Today, we are clearing the wet room of all clutter, plaster bags, tiles etc. ready for workmen to start the final phase of the downstairs renovation/repairs.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 7th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 8,474 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning,

Sorry to hear about your dog, Gilly. What a shock.

Yesterday was busy, but ended with DSis and BiL coming for a late dinner, by which time it was lovely to sit outside. Today, DD and I are supposed to be going on a train expedition to London, but I have pointed out just how hot the Tube is going to be. Unless her alarm clock goes in the next 5 minutes, I think she might have agreed with me. I feel guilty as I did promise her before the start of the holidays, but it is just postponed, not cancelled. Like someone said earlier (Narc0?), I feel that I have lost a month of my life with the heat.

DH is supremely stressed, so much so that it is worrying me. Job, his family, all the obligations that they seem to put on him for being the eldest. This is the first year for ages that we are not going to spend a relaxing fortnight in France, where we all recharge our batteries, partly because he has very little holiday left due to life taking over. I just hope that things calm down soon. Stupid as it sounds, it feels like if only the heat would stop, things would ease. Imagination (or wishful thinking), I know.

Sorry for drivelling on, as you know I am just a sloth at heart, so doing nothing should suit! In penance, I am now going to iron - but only because I didn't do it at the weekend, or yesterday....
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,359 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. I'm sitting here waiting for the floor fitter to arrive. Then need to run an errand, get the house back as it should be and go to dentist again.

So hot again. No dog walk and they're not eating much either.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: 792.43
    • Valli
    • By Valli 7th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 20,574 Posts
    • 233,864 Thanks
    Valli
    Morning all

Wedding was beautiful, the bride looked fabulous, the groom was gorgeous (my nephew - seems like 2 minutes since I held him as a newborn having been babysitting his elder sisters while he put in an appearance) and eldest niece came along, having left the antenatal ward for a few hours...she's back there now until her baby is born! The food was fabulous and I drove us home...in DS's new car going through the controls at 11:30pm. Easy car to drive though but the 'shift' light was a revelation! DS and DD get on fabulously with their cousins and I loved watching them all dance together. I danced too. Lots. And the legs/knees aren't complaining overmuch.

And today I must fly like a demon...and write my holiday packing list! Because I am actually flying on Thursday.

Please don't worry about not taking over peeps. I shall just multilist...
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ten hours' solid kip decluttered on the settee overnight. I even slept through Himself coming in, going by the bass propped up against the fridge, the back door being locked and the fleece blanket placed over my feet.

Would have been nicer had I actually slept in my own bed, but I'm still impressed with myself for sleeping on a knackered fake leather settee which is all cracked and rough to the touch. And Himself, for not waking me up.

Debating whether to try and do anything, other than get a few clothes together for the next couple of days away.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 7th Aug 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 40,800 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Oh too hot! Have a riding lesson at 12.15 so am probably going to melt into a puddle; won't be a full hour for sure.
    Done a load of washing and it's drying on the line now. Will get back from Breggey then get to grips with the bathroom.
    Catch you later
    H2H challenge: 4 hours
    Flymarkeeteer: 120 and counting
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 51,940 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Odd behaviour by your bank, Kazwookie.

Kelpie's hydrotherapy appointment has been cancelled, and the builder rear-ended someone on the way here this morning, so I've sent him away to deal with car-related matters. Minutes first and then I'll Fly from the lists.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 07-08-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,359 Thanks
    Jazee
    New floor is down. Now to move the display cabinet back so I can put glasses etc back. Can't move everything on my own though. Will also see if I can fit in some ironing.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 7th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 123,764 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Bank now agree I am me! to which I am glad, I'm not sure I want to be any one else

Kitchen cleaned and not a lot else so far

I am suprised in this heat that riding lessons are even taking place.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 54,359 Thanks
    Jazee
    29 degrees in the garden at the moment. I have moved everything except the fridge/freezer back into the kitchen and I've done the ironing. Second lot of washing is going on the line soon and I'll see if I've time to do some dusting in the
    LR before I go to the dentist.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 20,825 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Loads done already, including volunteering with DS in tow. fortunately he was a good boy.

Having a brew now then will put the laundry away and start to pack for our holidays. I have already sorted some fridge bits out to give to my friend which I know we won't eat before we go.

I also nipped to the garden centre earlier and bought a few more bedding plants to brighten up the front, which are now in and watered
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - 171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - 99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Mumof2
    • By Mumof2 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 40,800 Thanks
    Mumof2
    Kaz there is a lady at our yard who gives lessons - did about 25 minutes in the shade and took it really easy then I took Breggey round and washed her off with cool water and left her happily eating her hay! She's stabled during the daytime in a cool stable then goes out at nighttime in the field so she's happy.

WM whirring around with smelly horsey stuff in - there's some real benefits to J working away you know!
    H2H challenge: 4 hours
    Flymarkeeteer: 120 and counting
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 7th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 13,686 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Hi all

Its nice here now as we have had a few days of showers which has made an amazing difference.

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Utility

Level 2

Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
    Wipe window sills and clean the windows

Level 1

Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
    Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo

With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
    Rinse loo brush and dry it outside in the sun

Level 3
    Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
    Bleach the drain

Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
    If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards (Natty asked us to clean one last week!)clean out another one!

Did all the woodwork in the bathroom with sugar soap as it looks like its going to be a rubbish weekend this weekend weather wise so I think we will crack on and get the bathroom decorated. Only been planning it for 18 months

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Aug 18, 8:41 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Grr.

Travel arrangements have been admitted to me.

Leaving before 9am tomorrow, back around midnight Friday (if it's like last time, nearer 3am), out again by 6am Saturday.

Until an hour ago, I was being reassured that travelling wasn't until the afternoon to allow for how difficult mornings are for my joints, my aversion to tubes at any time, never mind rush hour and there would be time to sleep between trips.

And no, he hasn't thought of ticking the option for step free access. Again.

I'm hiding in the bath.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• ionafan
    • By ionafan 7th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 36,801 Thanks
    ionafan
    Gilly (((hugs))) - I am so sorry to hear about your dog. What a dreadful thing to happen.

Sorry I've been MIA from the Flythread, but I've crossed off several more jobs from my own list today, and we're out tomorrow for a charity trustees' meeting, then my time on Thursday will be taken up with the toddler group plus older siblings, because of the holidays.

It was soooooo hot this afternoon, but then at about 5.30 it suddenly clouded over and we had a lovely cool breeze. That's probably because the window man came to adjust the French doors which were installed 5 years ago so that I can open both sides. Now that we can have double the ventilation, we don't need it!

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    10/07/2018: 11 st 5 lb
    • Frizzle
    • By Frizzle 7th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 15,642 Thanks
    Frizzle
    Busy day today and kids have been Winding Each other up! !!! This morning was jobs.
    Picked up some pressies from.argos to stash away for christmas. Went to b and q and dunhelm to pick up wallpaper samples and a curtain rail for the playroom. We painted it 2 years ago so long over due. We have some guests staying in there tomorrow night and they really need to be able to shut the light out!!!
    Also took something back to.asda.my 9 yo is feeling inspired by junior bake off so asked if he could bake by himself!! He chose the recipe and then we went and bought the ingredients. He pretty much did it all himself with me hovering if he needed to ask anything. He was well chuffed with his efforts although jot so chuffed when i reminded he would need to clean up my once immaculate kitchen. We did it together.
    A few games of junior monopoly and some ironing and then it was time for dinner and bed.
    Bathroom cleaning had to take place once kids were in bed and almost finished the main bathroom and the guest bedroom. Will just need to do the floors tomorrow!!

Clean the floor -
    Start name labelling any new uniform, including shoes

Anybody got any advice on deep cleaning a toilet? One of ours is really bad. I Scrub it with bleach, have tried using bicarb, lemon juice, coke and nothing seems to get it completley clean. It is as clean as i can get it but wish it looked better. The only solution i can see is getting a new toilet (and therefore a new suite/ tiling etc) which we can't really afford at the moment.
    Just wondering if anybody knew of a miracle potion.....
    Grocery challenge-
    J- 52.40/200 M- 187.56 A- 212.93 M-193.44 F-201.31 J- 240.62 D- 149.27 N- 210.69 O- 196.80
    S- 213.68 A- 213.03 J- 249.66 J-206.29, M- 252.91, A-250, M- 250

debt free as of feb 2015. Now saving for deposit for new house! Moving in June 2015!!!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Aug 18, 12:50 AM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Busy day today and kids have been Winding Each other up! !!! This morning was jobs.
    Picked up some pressies from.argos to stash away for christmas. Went to b and q and dunhelm to pick up wallpaper samples and a curtain rail for the playroom. We painted it 2 years ago so long over due. We have some guests staying in there tomorrow night and they really need to be able to shut the light out!!!
    Also took something back to.asda.my 9 yo is feeling inspired by junior bake off so asked if he could bake by himself!! He chose the recipe and then we went and bought the ingredients. He pretty much did it all himself with me hovering if he needed to ask anything. He was well chuffed with his efforts although jot so chuffed when i reminded he would need to clean up my once immaculate kitchen. We did it together.
    A few games of junior monopoly and some ironing and then it was time for dinner and bed.
    Bathroom cleaning had to take place once kids were in bed and almost finished the main bathroom and the guest bedroom. Will just need to do the floors tomorrow!!

Clean the floor -
    Start name labelling any new uniform, including shoes

Anybody got any advice on deep cleaning a toilet? One of ours is really bad. I Scrub it with bleach, have tried using bicarb, lemon juice, coke and nothing seems to get it completley clean. It is as clean as i can get it but wish it looked better. The only solution i can see is getting a new toilet (and therefore a new suite/ tiling etc) which we can't really afford at the moment.
    Just wondering if anybody knew of a miracle potion.....
    Originally posted by Frizzle
    Superstrength limescale remover (the one in the black bottle).

Use a toilet brush to push as much water out as possible. Liberally cover with remover and leave.

On the limescale in my old flat, I actually had to chisel it off with a broken file, but the remover softened it enough to make it easier to do - it came off in big, grey flakes, then I put more remover on it and the last bits brushed off.

As for kids cooking, teach them to do the cleaning as they go, wiping up the spilled flour, putting things into a clean sink of hot, soapy water, washing bits up once the cake is in the oven, etc. That way, it'll be natural for them, they don't have the annoyance of cleaning it all up in the end - and they won't be like Himself, who genuinely cannot see what I do differently to him that means I can have the kitchen back to normal within 5 minutes when it takes him 45.

I must pack!

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Aug 18, 2:20 AM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    All packed.

Just gone into the kitchen for a drink.

Oh. My. Word. He made nachos. Essentially, crisps with cheese and a couple of dips (and definitely not enough, as I am starving).

The mess - tubs, packets, the mini blender for adding onion to the salsa, packets of things we didn't even eat, the butter now in a greasy puddle, the bowls from soup earlier, mugs, glasses...if he isn't up all night cleaning it, everything is going straight into the bin as we leave.

Why do I ever bother cleaning anything?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

4,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin