Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 5th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 540Posts
    • 1,166Thanks
    crv1963
    50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60! 5th Aug 18 at 6:34 PM
    Hello,

This thread is inspired by reading others journeys, and at the suggestion of ShyandRetiring. I have been a lurker and commentator on a number of the excellent threads on this Forum. I like the Pensions Board, this board and the Pet Board in particular. I have been given some excellent advice and had answers to many specific questions on them.

Background:-

I'm a 54 year old soon to be 55. Where did the years go? I'm an NHS worker and can take my pension unreduced at 55 due to having "special officer class" because of my particular area of work. I currently have "all my years in to get a full pension" each years contribution counts as 2 years from 20 years service, in March I had a total of 40 years or 40/80ths pensionable pay.

I am- because of the way the scheme is calculated allowed to accrue a further 5 years or up to 45/80ths from the age of 55-58. I also am allowed if I work shifts to have any shift allowance calculated as part of my final pension.

So far so good, Mrs CRV and I married later in life than was originally planned, we lived together many years ago but parted without rancour in 1992 because in part of my career ambition and her reluctance to leave the area she lived in. We both went on to marry others, finally get back in touch through Friends Reunited. Two divorces later (we ended up divorcing our respective spouses) we finally married each other. I have two sons from my first marriage who live in the South East, Mrs CRV never had children but she (now we) has two nieces whom she/we adore. We both work in healthcare same qualification, me NHS, Mrs CRV always private sector since qualifying.

I had a brief career break when I moved in with Mrs CRV, so did have an NHS Pension break but re-joined in time to preserve my special class status. Last year I had a heart attack- fully recovered now thanks to excellent emergency care and treatment, but had an enforced 7 month break from my stressful current role. This led to my MSE addiction and our planning carefully our retirement. I say it as the "Royal We" as the whole topic is cold for Mrs CRV!

Part of my personal journey was re-evaluating my current role and seeking to reduce my stress levels. My cardiologist suggested that I should seek to return to shifts as a means of getting additional days off from work. This in addition to feeling side lined at work even being labelled as too old for the job and rather unkindly a dinosaur by a colleague said in jest I'm sure but left me feeling undervalued and not part of the Team.

So luckily for me the Trust I work for realised that they had got rid of all the experienced staff and the in-patient services it runs needs experienced staff to provide leadership, coaching and in some cases straightforward "you do it like this" support for younger qualified and inexperienced staff. I applied for one of the posts and got it, starting in September! Luckily for me and my pension it is all "out of hours" and unsocial hours work, so I'm swapping my M-F, 9-5 role for a post that is almost all night and weekend work. It is worth around 12k extra on my salary and of course around 6k pa on my pension when I get it. I'm going from 20 days every 4 weeks to 13 shifts every 4 weeks, so will be able to also work a few extra shifts boosting the coffers more, as currently I work 2-3 "extras" at weekends while doing my M-F role, so having only 4-5 days off every 4 week period.

Mrs CRV isn't so well off with her pension planning, she has some SERPs pension pot, with nothing between that and her now auto-enrolment pot. So this is where we'll have to concentrate I think.

We have some debts, a 90k mortgage at a fixed rate and I was forced to borrow 12k for a new car 2 months ago as mine was written off and I need a decent economical car for work and the commute.

The purpose of this diary?

To document my journey to retirement which I hope will be 18 months- 3 years time, 5 at an absolute push, I don't want to be the richest in the graveyard but want a decent comfortable retirement.

I also hope others will see an ordinary man can have aspirations, share what goes well and help others learn from what goes wrong!

To get some advice/ ideas that add to our plans. I already have picked up tips, one thing we do need to sort is wills, LPA and future proofing our home, in addition to Mrs CRVs pension planning. I'll hopefully get some ideas?

We live in a large bungalow with a very large garden, isolated on a hill in the middle of town, a cat with thyroid problems, a diabetic border collie !!!!! and an old Labrador dog who has had to have major surgery for mouth cancer, a collection of hens, a collection of tropical marine fish tanks (Mrs CRV hobby I am only allowed to look at the Seahorses!), we have a collection of outbuildings- shed, summerhouse, air raid shelter and garage full of my junk aka "valued items" that need de-cluttering as well as a loft heaving with an assortment of junk including 9 old fish tanks!

We worked our number out- current figures-

Me DB 16.5k pa 48k TFLS or 13k pa 85k TFLS
    Old Equitable Life AVC 6k
    Full SP is forecast if contribute another 4 years

Mrs CRV 24k SERPs pot (2004 valuation, updated one requested)
    5k Auto Enrolled pot
    Full SP if contribute another 4 years

We think save into PP or SIPP for Mrs CRV, draw down at 8k pa or up to PA. We think 24k pa would be manageable, any extra would be a bonus. We are in the position that if we live long enough as we age we'll actually get an increasing level of income!

Motivation for saving?

We've seen too many struggle to "get by" on SP alone! We want to be able to run our cars, keep our pets/ hobbies and have some decent holidays- we're having our gap year(s) at the end of our careers. So a tour of China maybe to see the Great Wall etc, tour of SE Asia see the Temples, Tour of India, and I'd love to see Botswana, Bermuda and go to Moscow! All depends on a) finance and b) health.

Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Page 4
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 9th Sep 18, 4:59 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    i thought there was a new sugar daddy in town, lol, glad your feeling better now x
    Originally posted by xanthe06

Maybe I should change seeking to hoping, but I'm not sure how!
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 9th Sep 18, 6:02 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    LL, best wishes on your move - hope everything goes well for you. I should imagine you've reached that stage when you're just wanting to be settled.

CRV, my duties start on Thursday . I've been round to meet ''the girls'' and received clear instructions as to ''what to do''. Fortunately, they seem very friendly and so I've no worry on that score lol.
    Glad to see you're settling into your new job. I was wondering whether joining a car share scheme might be an option - if only on an occasional basis. My brother used to do this and it worked out really well.
    I think inviting an architect round to look at various possibilities is a good idea. These days most firms will agree to an initial visit which is free of charge - so you've nothing to lose in that respect

SukySue, I've also been having a good old clear out. In particular, the garage is an absolute mess and my wife has been nagging me about it for ages . I'm glad I did though as I managed to find a couple of tools that have been missing for ages.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 10th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    ManOfLeisure- Car share isn't really an option as I have to use it during the working day to go to different places, I have found somewhere to stay a couple of nights a week, which I am testing out in October. The cost of each night is only slightly higher than the cost of the fuel for the commute. Hopefully it'll work out.

Hens are fun, do you get to keep your friends eggs while you care for the hens? If so that might persuade your wife getting some is a good idea. Our first hens were a wedding gift.

LL- good luck with the move today.

SukySue- Looks like I'm doing some clearing out today, I've discovered that I can't get in the spare bedroom for "stuff".
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 10th Sep 18, 2:42 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    [QUOTE=crv1963;74770208

Hens are fun, do you get to keep your friends eggs while you care for the hens? If so that might persuade your wife getting some is a good idea. Our first hens were a wedding gift.

[/QUOTE]
    Yes, we do keep the eggs . I think my wife has been concerned about the hens welfare whilst we are away - but I've now compiled a list of volunteers for when the need arises . Additionally, once a week we care for my brother's twin grandsons (aged 4 and autistic) and I think they would benefit greatly by helping to care for the hens. They are a couple of super little lads - always a smile on their faces- but with so many developmental problems. In particular, they have absolutely no speech and severe co-ordination problems. However, they are extremely gentle and absolutely adore animals, so the hens would be of real interest to them. I'm even thinking of involving them in the process of building a hen house . Our own grandchildren would also be interested too.

Fingers crossed that the place you've found to stay proves to be suitable
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 10th Sep 18, 3:06 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Going away takes a bit of planning, days out the odd overnight is okay as long as you leave enough food/ water out. Just hope Mr Fox doesn't visit if they aren't locked in their house. Although you can get a gadget that automatically opens and closes the door.

Hens really are good for people, children love being involved, I'd double the time allowed to build the run/ house and involve all the kids. Get them in their old clothes and helping to paint it would be great. We bought a wooden one new from the internet and I had to give it several coats of paint before use.

If you drive to collect your girls then seeing lots and I mean lots of hens in one go can be amazing for a child. Or in my case the 22 year old son- he had no idea what a place like Durham Hens was like or the things you can buy for them, his face was a picture! I did draw the line at a cockerel though.
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 10th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    sukysue
    Well done Man of Leisure l am nagging my poor DH about his garage but there is no hope of getting him even starting!!
    CRV hope the decluttering went well !
    We walked down to the Goldcliff seawall 2 miles today and we really enjoyed it .The sun was shining and the wind was blowing a gale.... just lovely .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 15th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi Everyone,

Spending- 5 on lunch over two days, was based at an office away from our Team base on one of the days as part of my induction to the new job. 5 on essentials milk/ bread/ salad for tea.

Saving- Feeling a bit demoralised that I haven't been able to start any of my plans this month, but haven't used the CC so a sort of saving.

Sorting- We're going to de-clutter the Conservatory today, looks like a couple of tip runs are going to be needed.

Other News- Have enjoyed work and even the commute, although a minimum 4 hours a day drive to and from won't be sustainable in the winter. Was discussing options for staying over 2 or 3 nights a week with Mrs CRV. Found somewhere via Airbnb for the cost of the daily fuel- no saving but then less wear and tear on the car and the driver!

Then was telling a worker I met in another Team about it and was offered the option of staying at their house, at a lower cost. They are going to work out how much this will be and we'll speak next week a bit more about it. They are struggling a bit financially after changing jobs, so were considering renting a room out, but with a child want someone who has been vetted - I fit the bill as it isn't full time living there and have Enhanced DBS as part of my job requirement. So fingers crossed.

Told workmates that I won't be going to the Christmas do. Although I'm quite sociable, I don't want a four hour round trip to sit drinking soft drinks watching everyone else get tipsy in the middle of December. So I volunteered to work nightshift that weekend, earning not spending is my plan.

There's a fair few extra shifts available at the moment, some at overtime rates, some at bank rates (an NHS system of paying staff a fixed rate to cover shifts) which although lower than my hourly rate in my fulltime job is not something to turn your nose up at if you get a shift that attracts enhanced hours- weekends and nights. I've booked a Sunday bank day shift this month at a base closer to my home (taking me to two so far this month) and said I'm available for a Monday overtime shift in October in my Team.

Son happy with his car, going to save for one for my other son.

Mrs CRV discussed reducing her hours once we've established how much I'll get monthly, so we can work out exactly how much I need to put into our "monthly pot" that covers our outgoings. I'm quite keen on the idea as well, it'll reduce her work related stress, make caring for our diabetic dog easier in terms of the timing of her insulin and feeds, as well as allowing us to spend more time together- me days, her nights means we sometimes can go for regular periods of time without actually seeing each other. Even if I then pick up extra shifts to make up the shortfall, we'll at least eat and have evenings together.

Plans for the weekend- de-clutter the Conservatory- getting it cleared out so we can get in it, then when I get Mrs CRV her jukebox for Christmas it can go in there while we ponder a bit more about demolishing it and extending the lounge it's attached to. That way the lounge will become a lounge/ dining room/ sewing room. We have to keep it as a lounge for when the boys come to visit us/ have people call up to see us (not often but it does happen!).

Mrs CRV is busy buying singles from the 80s, to go with the several hundred we have kept from that time in our lives- neither of us have ever parted with any of our records! Going through our combined collections means we're bound to have several duplicates I'm sure.

My lawnmower still hasn't arrived, so the lawn now looks like a meadow, but the flower beds are weeded, just one forty foot border to go.

Well I'm off to have a cuppa then de-cluttering begins again!

CRV
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 23rd Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi my update-

Spending- Primarily fuel for the commute, did spend 2 on one days lunch, took sandwiches the other 2 days.

Saving- Not used the credit card, thinking carefully about options for saving. Got Mrs CRV to discuss pension!

Sorting- Conservatory cleared and now ready for Mrs CRV to use as a sewing room. Have made a start on the spare bedroom today- got to stop now as my ironing pile kept in there out of sight is about 4 foot high, and it is all neatly folded awaiting being ironed. Guess it's ironing a few hours later this evening to get a couple of feet knocked off it.

Other News- Lots to feed back!

Finished my induction and now "free to be let loose on the world" to quote my assessor, who coincidentally wasn't even born when I started my original nurse training. Lol, such is the world. Start proper "in the numbers" shifts tomorrow.

Think I'm sorted for somewhere to stay to avoid the daily commute- have agreed a price- less than the cost of the fuel, let her know I don't expect her to provide tea/ milk/ meal or wash my sheets and towels. Just want somewhere to sleep, no fuss, no one thinking they have to run around after me. I go to see the room Wednesday after work.

Worked a bank shift yesterday, so a bit extra in the pay at the end of October, have another booked for next Saturday so a bit more there too. Hopefully I'll work enough bank to get an extra weeks pay each month. I know on other threads it's about finding another source of income to boost savings/ pay down debt etc but working an extra shift doing something I know seems the most effective way for me to boost my income.

Payslip wasn't available on-line yesterday so will have to look tomorrow to see what I have in the bank on Friday, at least I'm not overdrawn.

Hens- the Collie has got in there twice so had to spend a few hours putting extra wire around them and securing it so she can't go under it- her preferred option. If she can get in so can Mr Fox. Not that they are bothered- still all laying and gifting a couple of dozen a week to the folk in the office.

Christmas off duty- have said I'll work any dayshifts over that two weeks, Mrs CRV is nights and so we'll have our Christmas on our first days off together, same with our New Year.

That's about it for now.

CRV

Stop being afraid of what can go wrong. Start being excited about what can go right!

Edit- to correct poor spelling.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 3rd Oct 18, 1:11 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi

Trying to keep updating so that I can look back at a future date. Got paid last working day of the month, so was glad I didn't need to use the CCs at all. A small victory.

Spending: Had an expensive and tiring commute last month so have accepted the offer from a colleague in a different Team to rent a room on a nightly basis. Paid my share of the household monies. Bought a lunch (2.50) and treated myself to a bottle of Tullibardine single malt from Sainsburys on special offer reduced from 45 to 30. Building up my collection of my occasional indulgence a single bottle can last me a year so buying one a month until retirement should see me with a lifetime supply!

Managing to keep indulgent spends down otherwise. Mrs CRV has bought me an early birthday present- a reconditioned laptop so I can stay in touch when I'm staying away and of course we can both use a computer at home at the same time. Even if her laptop is the one she bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Such is married life and I'm not complaining about it at all!

Have budgeted 100 per week- 60 fuel, 10 sundries such as food while away and 30 just if needed money.

Christmas shopping- 60 bought some presents for family on offer in local supermarket.

Saving: Overpaid CC1, minimum payment CC2. Still small beer but taking a drip, drip approach until I settle on what my outgoings actually are going to be.

Sorting: Started preparing for my professional re-registration, more time consuming than I expected. Home wise chipping away at the spare bedroom sorting but slow progress really.

Other News: Have been busy working! Had one shift booked for the weekend but ended up working Friday to Monday so worked 48 hours extra instead of the planned 12. Hopefully October pay should be a good one!

Dishwasher gone and died on us so that's one item that will need to come out of the pay. Car will be due MOT in November so just as well I've earned a bit extra. Mrs CRV car sailed through its' MOT last week with just new wiper blades.

Border Collie had her 3 month diabetic check up- we're managing well, but we do need to vary her insulin dose and keep a close eye on her generally as her numbers vary for no discernible reason. Roughly working out she probably costs us 3k pa or 250 pm to keep, but she is worth it.

Enjoying a rest day today but will clean the hens out before the rain comes.

That's all folks!

I don't feel like I'm getting older, it's more like my warranty has expired and my parts are wearing out!
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 5th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    sukysue
    Sounds like a good month CRV , l am glad you are settling into your routine and sorting everything. I think it is a huge help for you to stay at a colleagues for a reasonable sum. Much better for you than the nightmare commutes! Keep up the good work Well Done m'dear!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 6th Oct 18, 8:42 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Mnd
    Made me smile about stocking up on the whiskey ..get you prioritis sorted.

I would suggest you might get through more than 1 bottle when you at home all the time.

Enjoying your blog

Mark
    • MarcusPiercy1970
    • By MarcusPiercy1970 7th Oct 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MarcusPiercy1970
    Yes having a set end date for retirement and a annual pension target is key.
    I only have a modest state pension from a early period of work but have managed my SIPP fund by DIY investing for years successfully. I love being in control and following the investment trends.

I find out the best performing funds and get investment ideas looking at Trustnet,com and Fundlight.com among others, each week. Morningstar is good but you get little focus. You can steer clear of the duds, keep diversified, and learn a lot. I don't bother with individual shares, but stick to collective investment funds (Unit Trusts/ OEICs) to reduce the risks.

IFAs are of good use, but not to manage my investments. The only person that cares for my money is ME. You can make sure using providers like Hargreaves Lansdown that you I don't pay upfront fees for each investment.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 8th Oct 18, 11:59 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi

sukysue- I stayed for the first time on Saturday, found a local pub that does food and real ale, food is finished by the time I get there, had a couple of pints though. Getting up a couple of hours later than I would if I was commuting and having a 10 minute drive to work made a big difference to how much less tired I felt during my shift.

Mnd- I don't know if having lots of bottles will make much difference I just wanted a bigger choice, generally I have no more than 2 glasses in any one "session" each probably equivalent to a pub double as otherwise it burns my stomach, taste buds like it stomach doesn't! I thought build up the collection while earning, I always buy the special offer brands.

Marcus- I think having a target amount and timescale is important, I've got figures worked out, ideas to get there and now working to achieve them. This is my journey to see if I get there, people are welcome to share ideas/ constructive criticism/ aspirations with me. I'll have a look at the sites you suggested. I've made arrangement to see an IFA in December to go over my figures/ plans to see if he can make better suggestions. What figures are you looking to achieve?

CRV
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 13th Oct 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    sukysue
    Excellent news CRV , l hope you are very comfy staying with your colleague . The commute sounds much better for you too. Hope you are enjoying your preparing for the promised land of milk & honey lol !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 14th Oct 18, 9:06 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi,

A little update-

Spending:- Managed to keep the spends down to the essentials, fuel and food until after the weeks shifts. So no guilty spends.

Saving:- Still not started any pensions/ savings plans. Starting to think that these will have to wait until the New Year as now it looks like Christmas is going to be a bit more expensive than I planned!

Sorting:- We've invested in a new shoe stand, so that my shoes can be in one place, everyday shoes/ trainers and boots for us both in one place, Mrs CRV already has a shoe wardrobe, storage area and under the spare bed, now I have a dedicated area too. Sorted the spare room out, the hall and today the rear porch, lots of junk (including shoes) thrown out.

Been sorting and cataloging our 7" singles, still a way to go yet but aim to finish that today too.

Other News:- Another colleague in my new Team is getting a lease car in December and mirroring my colleague from my old Team she heeds to dispose of her '06 plate car, again FSH, high miles but daily use. So I'm buying it off of her to give to my other son. I had promised to get him one when I took other sons car down. Same rules, I buy, service/ MOT it and he taxes and insures it. Hopefully it will cost me around 800 all told like the one I bought for my other son.

Took Mrs CRV out yesterday to look at jukeboxes as she has wanted one that plays singles, as we have so many from our teens/ early 20s. Long story short paid the deposit of 100, balance due early December when delivered.

It had just been in the shop a few days and is not even overhauled yet, that will be done before delivery. It is quite nice from the early 80s- like our records, has lights that flash in time to the beat of the music etc. Net result, all my work Christmas savings of 200 pm and a bit more are spoken for.

So Christmas this year has gone way over budget 800 x 2 for cars for my sons, 2500 for Mrs CRV jukebox. But I have been saving (with work Christmas Club) so much as I expected to pay around 1500 for a jukebox and use the other 500 for sons and the rest of the family it isn't too hard a hit to take. I think if there is a bargain available (the cars) and it keeps Mrs CRV happy (the jukebox being higher spec than I'd planned) then as it is from earnings and isn't going to be a repeated cost I might as well spread a bit of happiness. In my view it is as well to get these things while I'm earning.

Have started putting presents away for everyone else, so spreading the cost out instead of a rush at the start of December. I have started buying things as I see them at reduced price in special offers if I can. I don't see the attraction of Gin, but everyone else seems to, so buying flavored bottles a couple a month as it keeps as well as chocolates and the like.

Hens are still laying although I expect they will start being a bit hit and miss as the daylight hours reduce.

Sukysue- sleeping near work definitely made a big difference, much fresher the next day at work, nights next week so I'll see if I sleep as well during the day.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by crv1963; 14-10-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 15th Oct 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,285 Thanks
    sukysue
    You have done really well CRV. I think having a grip on all the incomings & outgoings is a great start to preparing for retirement. The jukebox sounds fantastic. I would see that as an investment to be honest. It isn't going to depreciate imho. Things sound good for you and Mrs CRV am happy for you, keep going, the day you retire will be here before you know it !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 25th Oct 18, 5:13 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi All,

A bit late with my update, been busy with night shifts then picking up a couple of extra shifts over the weekend.

Spending Stuck with the plan to only spend on fuel and food- no cigarettes still, did buy the team some donuts and some home made jam from a colleague though.

Saving Used a voucher I was given to buy some books, I have a kindle but do like reading a proper book with pages! My last 200 goes into the work "Christmas savings club" on payday so get my 2k back in Novembers pay, but it is spoken for with the jukebox.

Sorting Got my professional revalidation sorted and signed off, got a complement about how good it was, concise and reflective covering everything needed in an organised manner! Go me!

Have put some gifts away at a local craft shop to buy next week- I always buy wife, mother and sisters some hand made glass tree baubles every year, expensive but they do come out every year.

Stood and cleared the ironing pile- took a few hours but now we have none so a bit more space made in the spare bedroom.

Other News My shed is leaking! So have started researching building my own, got a few ideas for a Gothic Revival style one, hope that my woodwork skills match my vision when it comes to building it!

Thats all catch up again on payday!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 30th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6,425 Posts
    • 30,417 Thanks
    bugslet
    Sorry not to have been around, stress regarding my own am I retiring or not dilemma has been immense. Sorted now though.

Good on you for finding somewhere near by so you aren't having to commute to much. If you put a monetary value on your time, the economics of staying nearer would really show a big improvement.

Good luck on the shed, you never know that could become, in the words of a millenial, a side hustle. or second income if you prefer. Or how about gothic style hen houses - look an entire new business
    • thriftytracey
    • By thriftytracey 30th Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    thriftytracey
    Haven't posted for ages. I do like the Saving, Sorting, Spending and Simple Pleasures. Best wishes to ShyandRetiring.

Here is one from me

Spending - visited an arboretum last weekend and went out for meal with friends. Food was good but did not feel full due to small portions. Pub meals seem to be more expensive lately. Unfortunately the special offers are never at the weekends.

Saving - bought a drink at arboretum cafe and ate our own sandwiches. Bit naughty but at 7.50 for a Panini saved 15. Sadly, our 15 year old cat died so cancelled the pet insurance. She had a long and comfortable life though. It was very sudden - stopped eating and drinking on Saturday and just lay quietly. Sunday the same we were going to take her to vet on Monday but she died some time during the night. I do hope she wasn't suffering.

Sorting - going to pay a year's shortfall pension contribution for husband. He is 63 so need to get cracking make up missing years' due to opt out. He gets his pension aged 66.

Simple Pleasures - Autumn colour at arboretum. Some recent windy dog walks (dogs go mad when it is windy).

Here's another one:

Scared - one of my pensions dropped in value 5k this month thanks to global market jitters. The other ones have probably dropped too. Scared I won't be able to retire next year.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 31st Oct 18, 12:22 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi Bugslet,

I saw your news on another board, at least you've given it a good go, and the commute a lot of goes! Good luck April will arrive faster than you know. I don't think my woodwork skills are good enough for a new line of work, but it'll keep me busy for a while.

thriftytracey, glad you enjoyed the autumn colours, we went out over the hills with the dogs last week to enjoy the colours. I too like the shyandretiring method of recording on here. I often take a flask if I'm out and if it isn't a spur of the moment trip a pack lunch.

Payday today once my bills etc are sorted I'll try and post over the weekend, working a stand alone shift tomorrow so have the full commute/ early night approach today.

Cheers

CRV
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,371Users online

Martin's Twitter