Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pc88
    • By Pc88 5th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pc88
    What is this under plasterboard in bedroom?
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    What is this under plasterboard in bedroom? 5th Aug 18 at 6:34 PM
    Hi,

I recently completed on a house and in the process of renovating the place. I discovered artex on the kitchen ceiling and I'm in the process of having that tested for asbestos.

One of the bedroom ceilings has been plasterboarded but beneath the board, I can see what appears to be some white substance. Not sure whether that's artex too or whether its some sort of plasterboard adhesive. Anyone seen something like this before and have any ideas of what it could be?

New user so not able to post links (Remove space between https and : to view!)
    https ://ibb.co/kWeM8z
    https ://ibb.co/iNosFe

Thanks
Page 1
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 5th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 6,371 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    Hi,

here's the pics,

Y'all take care now.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos as insulation. Asbestos may be present in textured paint and in patching compounds used on wall and ceiling joints. Their use was banned in 1977.

Asbestos is unlikely to be still present in modern houses.

• FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,834 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    The second image shows what looks like lime plaster & lath construction - That said, without some idea of scale, I could be wrong. If you look in the loft, you should see the laths & nibs of lime plaster similar to this.

If it is lime plaster. the base coat will contain animal hair, and is nothing to worry about. Your ceiling was possibly overboarded to hide cracks in the plaster or fix sagging. It is also possible that it was overboarded to hide Artex, but most plasterers would have slapped a bit of PVA on and then skimmed.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 05-08-2018 at 8:54 PM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 6th Aug 18, 3:10 AM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:10 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:10 AM
    I!!!8217;d say there!!!8217;s a good chance it!!!8217;s overboarded artex, especially if there is artex in other parts of the house. It!!!8217;s perfectly safe underneath the plasterboard, just be take precautions if you need to drill into it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,791Posts Today

7,576Users online

Martin's Twitter