Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 5th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    • 10,539Posts
    • 9,477Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    100 WOW
    AVIS SPAIN-Fuel deposit not refunded
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:30 PM
    100 WOW
    AVIS SPAIN-Fuel deposit not refunded 5th Aug 18 at 6:30 PM
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone has experience of this ?

A car was hired via Avis at Mahon airport, Menorca.

The rental agreement was for full to full fuel and a fuel charge was taken on a credit card for security purposes at collection. The agreement states that the fuel charge will be refunded as long as the car is returned full. The car was returned full and the check in clerk agreed this. There is also documentation/receipts to prove this.

Nearly a month has passed and no refund. AVIS UK and AVIS ES have both been contacted and both have not responded save for automated reference numbers.

I think their customer service is rubbish.

My current thoughts are to initiate a section 75 payment dispute with CC company to get the refund.

Does anyone have any experience of AVIS ES and either no or very slow refunds ?

Thanks
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 18,712 Posts
    • 7,828 Thanks
    richardw
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    I have hired with Avis at ALC and IBZ and never been asked for a fuel deposit.

Perhaps just do the s75 claim.
    Last edited by richardw; 05-08-2018 at 9:13 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Aug 18, 6:02 AM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:02 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:02 AM
    Nearly a month has passed and no refund. AVIS UK and AVIS ES have both been contacted and both have not responded save for automated reference numbers.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Try phoning Avis UK and if that does not produce a speedy resolution contact your CC provider to arrange a chargeback or S75 claim.
    • RajaStyle
    • By RajaStyle 6th Aug 18, 4:17 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    RajaStyle
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:17 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:17 PM
    Contact them via social media, they tend to be more attentive
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10,539 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    Ive contacted both avis uk and avis ES but all they have done is issue ref numbers and nothing else. This organization seems pretty rubbish. I shall be initiating the section 75 claim
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 7th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    I raised a complaint with Avis about an extra charge, but heard nothing.

I disputed the charge with my credit card, and suddenly Avis were in contact citing 'technical problems receiving complaints'. Resolved in a few days afterwards.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 19,550 Posts
    • 45,276 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    I've had several refuelling charges from Avis, each time I have phoned customer service and had an immediate refund. Admittedly not in Spain though.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 10,539 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    So why do they not simply do it? Why do people apparently have to keep emailing/phoning/pestering them? It is either incompetence or an unofficial policy to retain such deposits because i would suspect a proportion of them are either not noticed or not chased up so they just pay back the ones that chase up.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 19,550 Posts
    • 45,276 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    So why do they not simply do it? Why do people apparently have to keep emailing/phoning/pestering them? It is either incompetence or an unofficial policy to retain such deposits because i would suspect a proportion of them are either not noticed or not chased up so they just pay back the ones that chase up.
    Because some of the Avis locations are, shall we say, less than honest. There are a few where I will only give them a debit card for a deposit with 200 in the account and no overdraft available.

TBH, if you go through main CS they seem to know which locations have a less than stellar reputation and will refund with no quibble.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    eDicky
    So why do they not simply do it? Why do people apparently have to keep emailing/phoning/pestering them?
    Why don't you simply phone them as suggested, instead of repeating that you 'contacted' them etc. Talk to an agent and they could well fix it immediately, Avis is like that. You're likely right and they are trying it on - why not try the simple direct solution...?
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 7th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 10,539 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Why don't you simply phone them as suggested, instead of repeating that you 'contacted' them etc. Talk to an agent and they could well fix it immediately, Avis is like that. You're likely right and they are trying it on - why not try the simple direct solution...?
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I hadn't thought of that. I have the matter in hand. I just expect companies that i deal with to do the right thing and do it reasonably efficiently.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 8th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 10,539 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    UPDATE-This has now been resolved ****
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin