Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 5th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    • 932Posts
    • 571Thanks
    Citygirl1
    Mini Oven vs Full Size Oven
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    Mini Oven vs Full Size Oven 5th Aug 18 at 5:18 PM
    I've had a mini oven for the past few years and really like it. I live on my own and will have just one chicken breast so its fine for that, saves heating up a big oven just for one thing, also if I do anything like a lasagne its OK as I just use the one shelf.

However, the hobs on it are no good now and not heating up properly. I don't use them often as I now do veg and fish in the microwave and now I boil pasta in there but it is handy to have a hob for when I need it.

I don't know whether to go down the full size cooker route as I think its the hobs on mini ovens that aren't very good, though the actual oven is very good and heats up quickly.

If I stay with the mini oven how do I get round the hob issue?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 63,724 Posts
    • 373,051 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    If it works well for you up to now, get a separate hob (or two). The savings in electricity -v- a "proper oven" are massive and you might find yourself not bothering to "turn the oven on just for this little thing". Just get separates: mini oven & separate plug in hobs.
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 5th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Citygirl1
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    Thank you for this. I feel this is best the route to take. I won't make use of a full size oven. The separate hob is a good idea as then I can buy another mini oven without the hobs on the top.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 23,668 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    If you've already got a working microwave then you probably don't want to replace it, but I love my combi oven - if I'm just doing a chicken breast or a piece of fish that's what I use, and it does jacket potatoes brilliantly.

I do a lot of baking so I would not be without my full size cooker, but you can also bake in a combi although I haven't tried it.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 5th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    If it's just a hob you want, I saw Ikea now do a one-pan portable induction hob for 35. It's compact and the display one was hanging on the wall with a standard hook so they must be light. You could get one, two or three of those for far less money and far less hassle than buying a whole new oven and hob!
  • archived user
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    I've only used my full sized oven twice. For two Christmas dinners.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 6,397 Posts
    • 10,502 Thanks
    Farway
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    Thank you for this. I feel this is best the route to take. I won't make use of a full size oven. The separate hob is a good idea as then I can buy another mini oven without the hobs on the top.
    Originally posted by Citygirl1
    And here you are, Lidl from Thursday, Double hot plate, with thermostats,19.99

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=15189
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 6th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    BBH123
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    I have a mini oven and a separate 2 ring hob and they work / suit perfectly fine for me.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - 1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 4,046 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:00 PM
    Hi, I've got a combi microwave, and a medium size halogen oven. Also, I use my slow cooker and pressure cooker, so hardly use the big oven now, unless the family come round for a meal.
    Baking in the combi, I've done scones and they were fine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin