Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adidas
    • By adidas 5th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 258Posts
    • 41Thanks
    adidas
    Coating glasses
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    Coating glasses 5th Aug 18 at 5:05 PM
    Hi all

I want to get my glasses recoated. I bought them about 5 years ago from Optical Express and the coating is coming off in places, with lots of microscratches.

I'm interested in getting them buffed out and recoated. They are an expensive frame. I asked inside Optical Express and they said they couldn't do it. Specsavers said it would be 70 though unsure if they would do it as not one of their frames.

Has anyone done this before and if so, is it cheaper elsewhere?
    Is it better to get new glasses for these frames, is there anywhere reasonably priced for this service?
Page 1
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 5th Aug 18, 6:04 PM
    • 6,598 Posts
    • 11,907 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:04 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:04 PM
    You can't polish optical glass in the way you're describing (most optical glass is actually plastic). The price Specsavers have quoted sounds like they've quoted for a new pair of coated single vision lenses (39 for lenses and 30 for antireflection coating, they've not charged for glazing which will vary by store as they're franchises).

Optical express could sell you a new set of lenses too but won't as they'll hope to sell you a frame and lenses.

You can strip your anti reflective coating but not recoat as most lenses are bought pre-coated here in the U.K. the job involved toxic chemicals so won't be done in an in store lab, optical express used to do it for a few quid and a one week turn around.

Regardless all opticians will expect you to have an up to date prescription and to have your new prescription glazed into your frame.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • adidas
    • By adidas 6th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    adidas
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    Thanks - seems such a shame to waste the actual lenses themselves when they could be re-used.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin