Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beremy
    • By Beremy 5th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 36Thanks
    Beremy
    Freezer for Outside Shed
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    Freezer for Outside Shed 5th Aug 18 at 3:27 PM
    Hi

My garage freezer has just packed up (had it 3 years and was second hand). Just looking for a new one and notice that some are suitable for 'outside' use. Just wondering if this a crock to charge more money for an appliance.
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 5th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 29,598 Posts
    • 75,679 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    No.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/freezers/article/best-freezers-for-your-garage
    "The lowest room temperature that these appliances are designed to work in is 10C. Keep your freezer in a room that gets any colder, and there!!!8217;s a chance it will stop working properly, causing all of the food inside to defrost."
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 5th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    I've never known it to be a problem with freezers. Fridge/freezers are the ones to watch outside.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 5th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    z1a
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    Probably would be better INSIDE shed!
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    Always used to wonder what the big deal there was about this, but recently with this hot weather found out why!
    A freezer in a garage or shed, while in the winter would get colder than inside the house, I've found how much hotter the garage has been the past few months.
    A freezer would have to work hard to cope with the temperatures, OTOH Spain, Italy, & Greece must manage with there temperatures - so should be attainable.
    But if the info says 'not for garage use' stay clear.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • omendata
    • By omendata 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    omendata
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    Yes tghe advice is correct although i have never seen the danger actually happen! Frost free use a heater remember and the temperature of the compressor cna also be really high so in enclosed spaces it does cause very high temperatures - counter intuitive to what a freezer is thats why it confuses folks!
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 5th Aug 18, 11:08 PM
    • 2,132 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:08 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:08 PM
    We can only use Beko freezers outside in garage due to the very low winter temps we sometimes get and even then I've had a winter at minus 20 and it shut itself off but just opened the freezer door, food won't defrost at minus 20.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Aug 18, 5:42 AM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 3,660 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:42 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:42 AM
    We can only use Beko freezers outside in garage due to the very low winter temps we sometimes get and even then I've had a winter at minus 20 and it shut itself off but just opened the freezer door, food won't defrost at minus 20.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    +1

We've had a Beko fridge and freezer in our garage for the last 10 years without problems. Both have been working without a problem.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 8,640 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    We've had a Beko fridge and freezer in our garage for the last 10 years without problems. Both have been working without a problem.
    Originally posted by unforeseen

We recently bought a small Beko freezer for a garage. I think they were pretty much the only brand that we could find that said that the freezers could work in lower temperatures.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 15,894 Posts
    • 21,821 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    My parent's garage one is also a Beko.

It was the only one they found that was guaranteed for garage use.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 6th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Hoploz
    My freezer in my garage turns off in the coldest winter period. Which is a real pain as it tends to be Christmas when I'm loading it up! You don't know it's been off so you can't tell whether the food has defrosted then refrozen later. I had apple pies I'd made in there last winter and when I got them out they were frozen but had mould on them bleughhh!

I have read it is freezers which are Frost Free which have this problem. Apparently they work in a different way, but can't tell you more than that.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 6th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 4,748 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I've got an outdoor fridge. Completely outdoors, gets half buried in winter snow and everything.
    I can't imagine a normal indoor fridge standing up to that.

So although it's not a freezer, there must be stuff the manufacturers do to these outdoor appliances.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 24,379 Posts
    • 51,501 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I have a Bosch freezer that is about 20 years old. It has spent the last 13 years in unheated outbuildings. Never given a moments trouble.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 7th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    britishboy
    We bought a cheap (cant remember the name of it) chest freezer for about 200 when we moved 4 years ago to go in our shed, its worked fine ever since and is a godsend. Its survived both March's cold spell and the last 4 weeks of heat

No problems with it
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 7th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    ka7e
    Another vote for Beko. Mine is in an unheated conservatory and is fine at -5 in winter and 38 in the summer.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 8th Aug 18, 1:57 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Just get a Beko.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin