Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 5th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 8Thanks
    ellectrastar
    Shared tracks/driveways
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    Shared tracks/driveways 5th Aug 18 at 3:22 PM
    I'm looking to purchase a property in the countryside. Many of them have shared tracks, with one or more other properties. This isn't something that ever seems appealing as other people often like to make your life miserable if it suits them.

I'm guessing you generally share the cost of upkeep. The risk I think of is if I just use it once or twice a day and someone else is driving their tractor up and down it all the time. Obviously they'd cause more damage/wear and tear so hardly fair to pay equally.

So does anyone have a shared track? Is there a written contract about it, or is it just a "verbal understanding".

Any info greatly appreciated - quite a few properties have this and don't want to keep writing them off if this shared access is generally okay.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    Find out what the decision-making process is as to maintenance of the track:

1. As it should be - everyone involved has equal say.
    2. Some one household believes they decide what's what and tell everyone else to comply
    3. There aren't any arrangements at all - either formal or informal - and it's anyone's guess.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 5th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    Not all properties in the countryside have a shared track to get to them. If it bothers you, seek one like ours with direct access onto a minor public road.
    • Eels100
    • By Eels100 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Eels100
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    Then the person with the tractor clears the track in winter so you can get out for your shopping and to go to work and it doesn't seem so awful after all ...

A shared track surely isn't any worse than a semi detached house or a flat or a terrace or public transport or not having your own private island? Some people are arseholes but that's a risk you take wherever you live.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 44,992 Posts
    • 53,615 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    There are so many legal permutations.
    And so many practical realities.

Check the relevant Titles (yours, the neighbours', the farmer's, whoever).
    * who 'owns' the track?
    * who has a right of access? Pedestrian? Vehicular?
    * who has obligations to maintain?

Then look at how it works in practice
    * what is the current condition?
    * been ignored for 20 years?
    *been upgraded (eg tarmacked?)
    * been 'fixed' (eg shingle put in potholes)?
    * Knock on doors and speak to neighbours!
    Last edited by G_M; 06-08-2018 at 4:45 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Aug 18, 6:06 AM
    • 25,860 Posts
    • 94,192 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:06 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:06 AM
    I'm looking to purchase a property in the countryside. Many of them have shared tracks, with one or more other properties. This isn't something that ever seems appealing as other people often like to make your life miserable if it suits them.
    Originally posted by ellectrastar
    We share a private road in the countryside and we own one as well.

In our case, all rights and responsibilities are documented extremely well, but you're right in thinking this isn't always so.

However, just because something's legally documented, doesn't mean everyone will abide by the rules. Two neighbours have had charges put on their houses for failing to pay monies due.

Also, you're right that some people have tractors, or many more Amazon/supermarket deliveries than others, yet pay the same, or even less than their neighbours.

In these senses the situation isn't 'fair,' but if fairness is your goal, then you may struggle to cope with country living, where relationships are often based on unwritten rules and a good amount of give & take.

The benefits of a private road usually outweigh the disadvantages of having the passing traffic of a public road, especially where older properties are concerned. These were typically constructed close to the highway at a time when the noisiest thing was a herd of sheep or cows!
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 7th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ellectrastar
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    Thanks all. I'll be sure to get all the info on anything like it and try and be more open-minded. Really would like that private island though Eels...
    • ellectrastar
    • By ellectrastar 9th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ellectrastar
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    Hmm, thought I'd posted earlier but apparently not (or in the wrong place!).

I have heard of some sort of indemnity insurance that you can take out if you share a track. Has anyone heard of this? I've read something about taking it out to protect against the council claiming it but am sure someone told me that there was something for just personally sharing a track. Or I might've imagined it. Any ideas?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 8,220 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    I have heard of some sort of indemnity insurance that you can take out if you share a track. Has anyone heard of this? I've read something about taking it out to protect against the council claiming it but am sure someone told me that there was something for just personally sharing a track. Or I might've imagined it. Any ideas?
    I think you've got it mixed up with something else. The last thing the council would want to do is "claim" a private road which needs maintenance.

You can't really insure against something which will inevitably need maintained at some point.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hmm, thought I'd posted earlier but apparently not (or in the wrong place!).

I think you're probably thinking of insurance on unadopted roads in case of someone making a claim - eg driving into a pothole in their car. Basically - if there is a "known owner" of such a road - then they are wise to take out this insurance (costs about 250pa the last I knew for a road) and then they are covered if anyone does this.

I just assume the "known owner" of the road I'm in has this insurance and, if ever anyone knocked on the door, I'd just point and say "That house there is Known Owner - they should have insurance cover". I bet they don't in the event....but thats down to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin