Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 5th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 1,290Posts
    • 399Thanks
    JohnB47
    Advance line rental refund.
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    Advance line rental refund. 5th Aug 18 at 3:12 PM
    I've just read a Guardian online article and in the comments section there is someone complaining that if you pay for line rental up front but want to move away early, you don't get a refund of the unused line rental.

Fair enough, I think but then a 'contributor' replies as follows:

"You are mistaken; you do not need a refund. Line rental is independent of who you pay, and your rental of the line (which is actually from BT Openreach in most cases - third party suppliers simply collect the money for them and take a small cut) remains valid until your term expires. When you speak to a new provider, they will look up the line rental expiry date, and only charge you for the next year at the expiry of this year's rental."

I never knew that and actually I've never been in a position to make use of it.

Is this common knowledge then?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 11,386 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    Not common knowledge as its 100% wrong .
    You pay line rental to your ISP not Openreach .
    ALR is lost unless you are cancelling under Ofcom rules due to a price increase in contract .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 5th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    I've just read a Guardian online article and in the comments section there is someone complaining that if you pay for line rental up front but want to move away early, you don't get a refund of the unused line rental.

Fair enough, I think but then a 'contributor' replies as follows:

"You are mistaken; you do not need a refund. Line rental is independent of who you pay, and your rental of the line (which is actually from BT Openreach in most cases - third party suppliers simply collect the money for them and take a small cut) remains valid until your term expires. When you speak to a new provider, they will look up the line rental expiry date, and only charge you for the next year at the expiry of this year's rental."

I never knew that and actually I've never been in a position to make use of it.

Is this common knowledge then?
    Originally posted by JohnB47
    If you quit a provider but have paid for 12 month line rental in advance, you get a pro rata refund,even if the customer service rep says its non refundable
    OR wholesale line rental is around 8 a month ( what OR get ) retail line rental is 18-19 a month so it's hardly a small cut the retail provider gets , they arguably make more out if line rental than OR do..the Guardian article is probably poorly informed rubbish, and the contribution from a reader is absolute nonsense
    Last edited by iniltous; 05-08-2018 at 4:58 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 11,386 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    My latest line rental circa 19 pm but BB fibre 1 discounted to 3 pm.Really proves the point .
    • boatman
    • By boatman 5th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    boatman
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    If you quit a provider but have paid for 12 month line rental in advance, you get a pro rata refund,even if the customer service rep says its non refundable
    Originally posted by iniltous
    You won't get a refund if you just decide to leave for no reason, or there is a price rise built in to the contract, RPI for example.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 6th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    Thanks everyone. What you are all saying sounds correct to me.

The post I mentioned was not an ordinary one - from someone not connected to the paper that is. It was marked with a little G (for Guardian) and labelled 'Contributor'. It was as if it was a Guardian employee posting and it therefore seemed to imply a high degree of accuracy.

Obviously not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,262Posts Today

6,383Users online

Martin's Twitter