Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnLock
    • By JohnLock 5th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 11Thanks
    JohnLock
    Bank withdrawal
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    Bank withdrawal 5th Aug 18 at 2:23 PM
    Hi,

If my partner gave me her Lloyds bank card, can I go into the bank (as a man, her partner) and withdraw 3k cash from her account at a cashier, without her being there?

Or will they spot that I'm a man using a women's account and lock the account?

I know her pin number etc.
    Last edited by JohnLock; 05-08-2018 at 2:26 PM.
Page 2
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 5th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    If my partner gave me her Lloyds bank card, can I go into the bank (as a man, her partner) and withdraw 3k cash from her account at a cashier, without her being there?...

...I know her pin number etc.
    Originally posted by JohnLock
    No, you shouldn't do that as the account will get frozen.

My partner is on holiday though and phoned me to ask me to withdraw the money to pay off a debt
    Why not use phone or internet banking to transfer the money to you and then you can withdraw in cash if required.
    Originally posted by pramsay13
    No, my partner's account doesn't have telephone or internet banking set up because it's a new account and she hasn't got round to doing it yet.
    Possible solution:
    If your partner phoned you, then she can also phone her bank direct to arrange a transfer. Because she has not set up her telephone banking she will have to answer a lot of security questions. For what it is worth, I have done a transfer/payment over the phone without having telephone banking set up.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 05-08-2018 at 7:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• preable
    • By preable 6th Aug 18, 2:02 AM
    • 1,950 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    preable
    No they won't give you any money and will probably freeze the account until they get hold of your wife
    • Vet
    • By Vet 6th Aug 18, 8:44 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Vet
    No, you'll end up getting her account blocked. Seems a bit dodge.
    • Picard91
    • By Picard91 6th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Picard91
    She would be breaking the T & C's with the bank, like everyone has said it would mean the account frozen and card blocked...

Maybe and a big maybe if she rang the bank, asked how it was possible they would present a way. But if she hasn't setup telephone or internet banking and knew she had a debt to be paid off then that's just bad planning...

Also, isn't telephone banking setup automatically?

But like everyone says, sounds dodgy! I'd be less than impressed if the bank gave out all the money in my account to someone just because they have the debit card and Pin.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 26,810 Posts
    • 15,976 Thanks
    xylophone
    so suspect that the desire to get hold of 3K in cash means that this is the sort of debt that is unlikely to wait -

The Enforcer is at the front door.....?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Aug 18, 9:18 AM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 15,090 Thanks
    Westie983
    Hi,

As others have said you will not be able to do this, you are not the account holder, and even if you were 3k in cash normally needs to be preordered.

If this is a valid question, then your partner can either set up online banking, or give her bank a call and get a payment sent either to you so you can make the cash withdrawal or directly to the debt that needs paying off.

As a board guide can I suggest that you give the same level of courtesy that we are asked to give new posters.

You asked a question and it was answered, calling other posters jobsworths when you don't get the answer you are looking for when they provide the correct one is not same level you have gotten from others.

I hope that either of these options are suitable if not you will need to wait for her to return from her holiday.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25000)+15300/12000 = 127.50%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 93.07/365 = 25.49%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1200/1000 = 120.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-470/2000 = 51.50%

Total 17,663.07/15865 = 111.33%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • colsten
    • By colsten 7th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 9,314 Posts
    • 8,211 Thanks
    colsten
    School holidays, folks.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    School holidays, folks.
    Originally posted by colsten
    I very much doubt that "jobsworth" (even though used incorrectly) is in the working vocabulary of most teenagers.

I keep seeing all these posts about school holidays and yet no evidence that children are involved (unless you mean it is the teachers who are posting). Can we please stop making the lazy and uninformed assumption that half-baked stories and irate posters are children trolling because they are bored.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 5,313 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    sheramber
    From the OP's other thread he is impatiently waiting on a payment from Amazon going into his bank.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 21,161 Posts
    • 16,977 Thanks
    agrinnall
    The more unkind amongst us might believe she has gone on holiday, her new card and PIN have arrived in her absence and you are planning on taking advantage - I'm not one of those unkind people, by the way.
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling

This never occurred to me, but now you've put the thought in my head...
    • colsten
    • By colsten 7th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 9,314 Posts
    • 8,211 Thanks
    colsten
    Can we please stop making the lazy and uninformed assumption that half-baked stories and irate posters are children trolling because they are bored.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    With[out] your permission, I will continue to make assumptions as I please.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Aug 18, 12:24 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    With[out] your permission, I will continue to make assumptions as I please.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Well, you know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

Feel free, I just think it shows a marked lack of thinking and is decidedly glib and ill-informed, not to mention exceedingly tiresome to read all the time.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 8th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Well, you know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

Feel free, I just think it shows a marked lack of thinking and is decidedly glib and ill-informed, not to mention exceedingly tiresome to read all the time.
    I tend to come at it from the perspective that I have no evidence that posters posting nonsense on MSE are children, but I have plenty of evidence that posters posting on MSE are members of the wider British public and thus quite a few are likely to be a bit stupid.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 9,580 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    worried jim
    I tend to come at it from the perspective that I have no evidence that posters posting nonsense on MSE are children, but I have plenty of evidence that posters posting on MSE are members of the wider British public and thus quite a few are likely to be a bit stupid.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Snap. .
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 10th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Yet another poster wanting us to tell them that they are right about everything, rather than wanting honest and informed answers to their questions. Is it just me, or is this becoming more common?

Try working in a bank, you'll come across these kind of people multiple times a day! Plain facts like "You're breaking the terms and conditions" or "It's not your account so you can't access it" are like water off a duck's back. Their feelings and accompanying sense of entitlement are all that matter!
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    Robisere
    Wear perfume, heels and a Burka, then try it!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 15,090 Thanks
    Westie983
    Try working in a bank, you'll come across these kind of people multiple times a day! Plain facts like "You're breaking the terms and conditions" or "It's not your account so you can't access it" are like water off a duck's back. Their feelings and accompanying sense of entitlement are all that matter!
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    Or the best one, "I need 50 - 100 - 1000," yes you may need but your account balance is 76p so you cant have it, "But I need it"

Or the other one
    why have I been charged x amount?, That was because you used the overdraft, but I needed the money. No problem but as you have spent the banks money you have to pay a fee, but I needed to pay for my sky bill (*enter anything luxury here) and I cant afford the overdraft fees.

onwards and upwards as they say, next customer please.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25000)+15300/12000 = 127.50%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 93.07/365 = 25.49%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1200/1000 = 120.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-470/2000 = 51.50%

Total 17,663.07/15865 = 111.33%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,664Posts Today

8,809Users online

Martin's Twitter