Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 5th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 426Posts
    • 2,689Thanks
    Si Clist
    Ordering/renaming JPG files
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    Ordering/renaming JPG files 5th Aug 18 at 1:56 PM
    I have a folder of JPEG files which I want to re-order and rename. I used to be able to do this in PhotoMechanic by just dragging and dropping them where I wanted them, then saving the new order, then renaming, but alas I no longer have PhotoMechanic.

Can I achieve the save end with any free software, and if so, what? I'm running Windows 10 with just Photoshop Elements and IrfanView at present.
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 5th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 66,387 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    What do you mean by reorder and rename?

Put them somewhere else and/or new filename or new extension name?
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    When I open the folder, the pictures appear as thumbnails, in order of filename. All I want to do is rearrange them so that they appear in my chosen order instead, then stay in that order.

In the software I used to use, this was a simple matter of dragging and dropping the pictures into the order I wanted, highlighting the lot, and then renaming them from 000.jpg upwards. Henceforth, every time I opened the folder, the files would appear in my chosen order.

All I want to find is a way of doing that without having to buy software
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • Moneybagsss
    • By Moneybagsss 5th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Moneybagsss
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    Faststone Image Viewer will do this, drag the pictures round in the Browser View then highlight, right click and rename in the Batch Renamer.
    Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day.
    But give a man a fishing rod, and he'll sell it and buy alcohol.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 5th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    Thank you, Moneybagsss Off now to download and try it ...

ETA - looks good! Drag and drop works as expected but batch rename currently has me beat. Didn't see it listed in the index of the "How To" PDF, but it can't be that difficult, so I guess I'll work it out later this evening.
    Last edited by Si Clist; 05-08-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 5th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    XnView MP is as good as PhotoMechanic. and it's free for private use.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 5th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    Thanks, dogmaryxx. I'll give that a whirl right now!

ETA - Awesome! Now that I like

So, problem solved. Thanks for your help, folks!
    Last edited by Si Clist; 05-08-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • that
    • By that 5th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    that
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    Try irfanview if the others do not work
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 5th Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    Thanks for that, that. I hadn't realised that Irfanview would actuallydo what I want ...
    • Jamie SBeasley
    • By Jamie SBeasley 9th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jamie SBeasley
    Faststone Image Viewer will do this, drag the pictures round in the Browser View then highlight, right click and rename in the Batch Renamer.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 10th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 5,895 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    gave up trying to rename photos at least 10 years ago as it was too time consuming.

i just have a folder called 'memories' split into 'videos' & 'photos'. each folder is then split into years.

i use google photos search feature to find any photos/albums that i need.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Originally posted by Jamie SBeasley

You have made 2 posts on the forum, and both of them are an exact copy/paste of someone elses !

What gives ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,926Posts Today

9,404Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin