Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 1,089Posts
    • 1,124Thanks
    Margot123
    Walk-in hairdressers charge women more, why?
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    Walk-in hairdressers charge women more, why? 5th Aug 18 at 1:25 PM
    I am female and cannot be doing with waiting in salons for a haircut, sitting there with a magazine and a coffee being interrogated about my holidays/kids etc.

So, I use walk-in unisex hairdressers, you know the 'no appointment' type ones. In and out in 20 minutes or less.

I find it a good service, a simple haircut, no faffing with shampoos and hairdryers.
    My gripe is that ladies hair cuts are exactly the same as the mens, except they tend to also do men's eyebrows and sideburns! And yet the charge for women on average is double.

How can they justify charging double for the same amount of work?
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 17,847 Posts
    • 45,356 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    Have you asked the hairdressers in question?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 9,741 Posts
    • 14,989 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Women are willing to pay more for a haircut then men. Simple economics.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 16,581 Posts
    • 12,720 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    I am female and cannot be doing with waiting in salons for a haircut, sitting there with a magazine and a coffee being interrogated about my holidays/kids etc.

So, I use walk-in unisex hairdressers, you know the 'no appointment' type ones. In and out in 20 minutes or less.

I find it a good service, a simple haircut, no faffing with shampoos and hairdryers.
    My gripe is that ladies hair cuts are exactly the same as the mens, except they tend to also do men's eyebrows and sideburns! And yet the charge for women on average is double.

How can they justify charging double for the same amount of work?
    Originally posted by Margot123
    I make an appointment- never had to wait - only waited in the walk in ones.
    Last edited by hollydays; 05-08-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 5th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    Last time I had my hair cut (over a year ago) I just happened to be passing a guy who advertised he did womens for 20, I sat and waited watching as he did kids and mens hair. My turn, showed a photos of what I wanted and it was done. Water spray, blow dry and a cut fir 20, my hair was down my back when I walked in, layered and just below my shoulders when I walked out.

Hairdressers charge for the shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, cut, blow dry and skill....

I have lost count the amount of times walking into a hairdressers, asking how much, turning round so they can see all my hair pinned up only for them to nearly double the price when they take the clip out!
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    I always keep my hair short, even shorter than some of the men I've seen having their's done for half the price. Never had any shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer etc anywhere near.

So, what I am saying is, it's exactly the same service so where is the justification?

I don't agree with the comment that women are gullible enough to pay more. If it's a choice between 'posh' faffing about for 35 or walk-in for 10, then it's still a no-brainer. However women are still paying double the charge for men. I haven't come across one that charges the same or I'd be going there.

A haircut is a hair cut as far as I'm concerned.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 4,167 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    My missus would charge the same, however she only ever does a No 1 and eyebrow trim. The only problem I've found is if she has the wrong glasses on. She's liable to take a chunk off your ear with the clippers if that's the case.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 5th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    Hair
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    I make an appointment at the hairdresser turn up and have a dry cut , job done and it's 9.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 5th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 3,421 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    Are you down south Margot123? Haircuts seem to be one of those things where there is still a north-south divide. That said, the unisex places do still have bias, e.g. men's cut 4, women's cut 5.
    • LilTerryWhite
    • By LilTerryWhite 6th Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LilTerryWhite
    Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Women are willing to pay more for a haircut then men. Simple economics.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    There is a truth in your words!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 8,842 Thanks
    Callie22
    I find it more annoying that I'm automatically charged more just because I have long hair. I usually just go in for a trim that takes literally ten minutes, yet I'm charged more than the short-haired person next to me whose cut and faffing has taken a good half-an-hour.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 7th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    suejb2
    Hair
    Are you down south Margot123? Haircuts seem to be one of those things where there is still a north-south divide. That said, the unisex places do still have bias, e.g. men's cut 4, women's cut 5.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    So true. My brother lives in Bournemouth, he and s.I.l flew up for a visit and whilst here she decided to get her hair cut. All costs, plane ticket and haircut was still cheaper than a haircut darn sour!!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I don't agree with the comment that women are gullible enough to pay more.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    I don't think anyone said the word gullible?? I did write a reply explaining that women's hair cuts are a lot more work than mens but it seems my post has been reported and removed, so evidently someone is taking offence where there's none intended....
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 3,421 Thanks
    coffeehound
    All costs, plane ticket and haircut was still cheaper than a haircut darn sour!!
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Heh, that's a good example
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    So true. My brother lives in Bournemouth, he and s.I.l flew up for a visit and whilst here she decided to get her hair cut. All costs, plane ticket and haircut was still cheaper than a haircut darn sour!!
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Haircut costs 15-17 here, and I live in the most ludicrously expensive part of the UK. If you can signpost me to where I can get a plane ticket, haircut and "all costs" for less than that I'd be interested to know.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 3,421 Thanks
    coffeehound
    IDK whether you are male or female, but when I lived in Surrey it was not poss to get a mens cut for less than 11. Here in Oop north you can get a cut for 3. Presumably a womens high end cut is a bigger differential!
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I read some time ago that women's haircuts were more expensive because it's more complicated to cut women's hair

I have found over the years that the cost of a haircut and how good the final result is are unrelated. Over the last few years I have gone to local colleges, I've had total restyles, foils, pedicures etc for little money. All you need is more time and they don't offer free tea (shame)

One of our local salons offers free cuts with their apprentices. Both OH and I went along and ended up with reasonable haircuts. Now that's what I call money saving
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 15th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I read some time ago that women's haircuts were more expensive because it's more complicated to cut women's hair
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    As a general rule, it is.

* but I will edit out the rest of my reply as someone might take offence at it *

long story short, mens haircuts are quicker and simpler to do than womens.
    Last edited by fibonarchie; 16-08-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 18th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    Kim kim
    My hair is long & thick. It!!!8217;s a lot for hairdressers to colour and cut, I can see why hairdressers would want more for a big head of hair like mine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,606Posts Today

7,136Users online

Martin's Twitter