Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 5th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 101Posts
    • 3Thanks
    GillyFlower
    0 WOW
    Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    0 WOW
    Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going. 5th Aug 18 at 11:04 AM
    Advice would be appreciated. My husband is going to Canada to see his brother for one month.His only skill with plastic is the odd occasion paying with his debit card or getting cash out of machine.

I have heard Martin talking about Halifax Clarity Card and then my husband wants to be old fashioned and get his money before he goes. (Went about 5 years ago and was cross he got charged for the service from the Post Office)

My concern is him carrying cash.

So we are are Travel Virgins - if he had a Halifax Card there is not problem paying balance immediately on statement. (Could statement come before he returns and can i manage it here at home?)

Thank you

P.S. I know we need to get our heads around this about charges. I see someone said, if I am right, going to a cash machine using Halifax abroad - no you don't get charged but the 'company' machine charged the person.

But ? Starling bank account didn't ??? Hence - do I need to make sure husband knows where he is sticking his card!!!
    Last edited by GillyFlower; 05-08-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Read about Starling bank account
Page 2
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    eDicky
    he no longer talks about getting dollars here and carry that cash around.
    Originally posted by GillyFlower
    Great. But if I'm not mistaken this will be his first application and experience with a credit card (?) Even if accepted, the initial credit limit is unlikely to be more than a few hundred pounds. Any mistakes when using it, such as exceeding that limit, results in penalties.

A direct debit should be set up to pay off the full balance at the 'pay by' date, even if some is paid off early to extend credit balance availability. In this way interest on purchases or late payment, is safely avoided.

But the complexities of credit card use could be avoided by using instead the Virgin Money Essential account card, with the Lloyds card as backup. I think it still requires a visit to your local Virgin branch to set up the account.

Nothing wrong with the challenge of learning something new, even for just a one month trip, as long as it's worth it compared to the relative simplicity of using a debit card.

Edit : well done, Clarity with a relatively decent limit, i was mistaken there.
    Last edited by eDicky; 06-08-2018 at 3:27 PM.
    • Marmaduke123
    • By Marmaduke123 6th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Marmaduke123
    We have a Saga credit card. It's good for purchases abroad with no transaction fee, but does charge a transaction fee for cash withdrawals. There is no interest on cash withdrawals if you pay in full at the next payment date, but the transaction fee is still charged.
    We use our Barclaycard platinum for cash withdrawals (no fee), and either the Barclaycard or the Saga card for purchases, restaurants, hotels etc.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    1. OK - Halifax Clarity Credit Card has been successful with a 1500 credit limit and purchase rate of 25.95%:

2. So - got so far - but sorry think I was getting muddled up as to which card is best for him to draw out cash as soon as he get there - also thinking he must have another card in case there are issues with it i.e. not working for some reason.

3. I have looked at the SAGA link and looking at cash withdrawal does that seem quite a good option? If I understand it correctly you pay charge BUT not anymore as long as balance is paid in full on statement.

So grateful for all help - I will need the rest whilst he is away.
    You can use the Clarity for cash withdrawals too. Just cover the initial cash withdrawal via bank transfer within a day or two. That will keeps the interest to a few pennies.
    But useful to have a back-up. Since the Clarity can be used for both, choose whichever you like for the back-up.
    Barclaycard Travel Platinum probably the best bet overall. That way he will have both a Mastercard and a VISA card.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 7th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    1. OK - it looks like the next move is to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card.

Note: Can someone confirm that is the correct one - all this starts to get confusing with so many different Barclaycards on offer.

2. Now we do seem naive what are the advantages of having a Visa and a Mastercard? When I look it up it seems they offer the same.

3. When he gets there if I can recall it will be best for him to make a sufficient cash withdrawal for him to feel he has a real money 'back-up' i.e. not to take small amounts. (he can also phone me from his brothers to say what he has done.)

Note: Perhaps I should say I am used to my John Lewis Card that I pay off every month and via banking online. So as a couple not totally out of our depth.

Again so grateful to all the help and advice
    • Marmaduke123
    • By Marmaduke123 7th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Marmaduke123
    If you have a smartphone Barclaycard have a very good app where you can see transactions almost immediately. Very good for keeping track of your spending, and knowing when you are near your credit limit.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    1. OK - it looks like the next move is to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card.

Note: Can someone confirm that is the correct one - all this starts to get confusing with so many different Barclaycards on offer.

2. Now we do seem naive what are the advantages of having a Visa and a Mastercard? When I look it up it seems they offer the same.

3. When he gets there if I can recall it will be best for him to make a sufficient cash withdrawal for him to feel he has a real money 'back-up' i.e. not to take small amounts. (he can also phone me from his brothers to say what he has done.)

Note: Perhaps I should say I am used to my John Lewis Card that I pay off every month and via banking online. So as a couple not totally out of our depth.

Again so grateful to all the help and advice
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

On the off chance that someone doesn't accept one of the other. For instance, the VISA network was down a couple of months ago in the UK. But one could pay with a Mastercard, so no issues.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 7th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    If you have a smartphone Barclaycard have a very good app where you can see transactions almost immediately. Very good for keeping track of your spending, and knowing when you are near your credit limit.
    Originally posted by Marmaduke123
    Thank you - he doesn't use a smartphone - he will phone me but I don't think he will go over his limit.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 7th Aug 18, 7:44 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    OK - Barclaycard Travel Card applied for. Watch this space and fingers crossed.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 38,874 Posts
    • 35,700 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I'd say you need two cards, and you keep them in different places. So if one doesn't work (the recent Visa fiasco), the other should. And if one is lost, you've still got the other.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    If it doesn't charge for Starling it won't charge for the Clarity. Vice versa is also true.

The cards make no charge, but quite often Canadian ATM's do. C$2 to C$5 is usual.

If he can find ATM that charge either nothing or C$2, a C$200 ATM withdrawal equates to just 1%. So still better value than trying to obtain cash here.
    In addition, the Clarity allows for withdrawals for up to C$840 each time, reducing the total fee to a little as 0.22% for cash withdrawals.
    He should try to use the card for payments when he can.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-canada
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I was in Canada about a year ago and was never charged at any ATM.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 13th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    Hello - OK -

1. Letter just arrived from Barclaycard - saying although it is not the card you originally applied for we are pleased to offer you the Platinum Barclaycard. So....that's the Travel Card out of the window with them.

So positive in the post was his Halifax Clarity Credit Card.

2. Next step I guess - forget Barclaycard - apply for Saga card?

Note: Virgin - seems like nearest is 30 miles away. So prefer to do all online if possible.

Before my finger hits the keyboard with another application we would appreciate your thoughts - thank you.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hello - OK -

1. Letter just arrived from Barclaycard - saying although it is not the card you originally applied for we are pleased to offer you the Platinum Barclaycard. So....that's the Travel Card out of the window with them.

So positive in the post was his Halifax Clarity Credit Card.

2. Next step I guess - forget Barclaycard - apply for Saga card?

Note: Virgin - seems like nearest is 30 miles away. So prefer to do all online if possible.

Before my finger hits the keyboard with another application we would appreciate your thoughts - thank you.
    SAGA is good, as it provides you with a VISA card as a foil to the Clarity's Mastercard. But it's only really needed as a back up, as the Clarity actually covers all that you need.

Do you really want to apply for another credit card?

https://loot.io/ is a prepaid card with two free ATM withdrawals per month. You may be able to administer the account via the Web, instead of a phone.
    Just keep a small amount on-board for emergencies.
    • Marmaduke123
    • By Marmaduke123 13th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Marmaduke123
    Saga is fine for purchases, just not for cash withdrawals.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 13th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    Thank you - I think the idea between applying for two cards was in case one had its system go down or lost one.

So maybe SAGA application tomorrow - in case any thoughts come from all the help i get on here which we are so grateful for.

(Note sure why B/Card turned him down maybe they thought he would be 'foot loose and fancy free' once in another country.)
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Saga is fine for purchases, just not for cash withdrawals.
    Originally posted by Marmaduke123
    Already covered earlier...
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 13th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    Already covered earlier...
    Looked at SAGA seems like you have to become a member first so will look into that tomorrow.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 14th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower
    We phoned Barclaycard and asked why refusal of Platinum Travel Card.

They have agreed to let my husband have the Travel Card now at the same interest rate as Barclaycard Platinum - which should not be an issue because we will pay statement immediately.

(It could be lack of 20K income- I think it was - when I looked at requirements in detail for Travel Card. Other than that no other issues.)

Thank you again - all going well husband can carry one and keep the other safely at his brother's home as a 'just in case' of problems.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Looked at SAGA seems like you have to become a member first so will look into that tomorrow.
    Never saw that clause before.
    Either way, since you now have the Travel Platinum, problem solved.

Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for spends and deposits.
    • GillyFlower
    • By GillyFlower 14th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GillyFlower

Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for spends and deposits.
    Thank you again. Out of interest your recommendation, above in quote, this may sound naive but can you explain why the above could be the best method of use?

(I think what with everything going my mind is in a bit of a twirl. With my husband having now received the sad news his youngest sister has passed away so unexpectedly, who also lives in Canada, it is going to be a bitter sweet journey for him.)
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thank you again. Out of interest your recommendation, above in quote, this may sound naive but can you explain why the above could be the best method of use?

(I think what with everything going my mind is in a bit of a twirl. With my husband having now received the sad news his youngest sister has passed away so unexpectedly, who also lives in Canada, it is going to be a bitter sweet journey for him.)
    Already explained earlier in the thread.
    Either way, no need for concern, follow the advice and set both cards to pay off the full statement balance and there'll be no card charges(apart from whatever the Canadian ATMs charge) nor interest charged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

630Posts Today

6,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin