Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • nhs worker
    • By nhs worker 5th Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nhs worker
    Home insurance cash settlement figure way too low
    • #1
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    Home insurance cash settlement figure way too low 5th Aug 18 at 10:19 AM

    In May I had a burst pipe underneath the concrete floor in my downstairs shower room.

    It must have been leaking for some time as it's affected 5 rooms, in the immediate vicinity the water had risen 2-3 feet up the wall.

    Drying has been complete since the middle of July. To give an indication of the size of the problem, ceramic floor tiles have been removed in the kitchen, shower room and porch, as well as areas of wall plaster in 4 of the 5 rooms.

    I'm now negotiating a cash settlement, as I have doubts about the insurance company completing the work. This is based on the poor service I've received, and extra work caused, during the process so far.

    I've had quotes from independant contractors around the 10,000 mark, but the insurance company are offering less than 3,000.

    The current issue is the insurance company don't seem to be able to create a correct Scope of Works - there are many many items of work missing. They revisited last week to do a new scope, and we went through each room in detail, alongside my own list, and after working on this for a full week, the insurance company still can't get the scope right.

    I expect some discrepency between my quotes and the insurers cash settlement, but not over 7,000.

    Can anyone suggest a way forward please ?
    I'm considering paying an independent RICS Loss Adjuster to do a Scope of Works, and then raising the issue with the Financial Ombudsman.

    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 5th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    Have you seen the SoW proposed by the insurer's contractor? How do you know aspects of it are missing?

    There will always be some discount if you take a cash settlement at the insurer's cost price, and always some mark-up from the retail contractor who has provided your independent estimate, however I agree that 7k short seems quite a leap.

    Why would you have doubts about the insurer performing the work? It'll be the insurer's contractor who performs it, and they will likely be a firm working on behalf of various insurers with at least as much experience as your independent contractor.
    Wedding fund - 2199.82 (4113.17)
    OP fund - 1971.13 (111.53)
    Emergency fund - 400.00
    • nhs worker
    • By nhs worker 6th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nhs worker
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    Re SoW - the loss adjuster re-visited after the drying cert was issued to revise the SoW based on the extra damage that had been caused during the strip out. We went through my own list in detail for each room and the loss adjuster agreed with this, but when the revised SoW arrived it had many items missing, including obvious ones that were on the original SoW. The insurance company had drawn my attention to the obvious missing items and advised me to check the revised SoW in detail.

    The extra damage caused is the reason I have doubts about using the insurers tradesmen.

    I expect some discrepency between my quotes and the insurers cash settlement, but not over 7,000. I'm told the insurance company had previously phoned my contractor and asked if they'd do it for 5,000, but then offered me less than 3,000.

    It appears that :
    - the different companies / depts involved with the claim aren't communicating effectively
    - they're not able to produce a correct SoW

    If I do decide to use the insurers tradesmen, there's still the issue of the incorrect SoW.

    At the moment I can't see any other option than to escalate to the Financial Ombudsman and get my own SoW done. An internet search has thrown up this solution from someone who had simiilar issues with the same company doing the SoW, and amounting to roughly the same amount of cash settlement - and this proved successful. I wonder if this is the normal sequence of events.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 6th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    In the first instance you need to exhaust the insurance company's complaints procedure.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    • #5
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • #5
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    Once you and the insurer and loss adjuster all agree on the correct SoW then discuss settlement.
    Until you have agreed on the SoW, there is little point talking financials.

    I don't understand why you don't want to use the insurers tradesmen, I doubt the insurer actually has a team of tradesmen, most likely they will just contract the work out.

    Any cash settlement will be for the price the insurer would pay their own tradesmen, less of course your policy excess.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 6th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    • #6
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • #6
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    Don't forget that if you get a RICS loss adjuster in, they may add stuff on that is not covered under the policy - perhaps that is what your builders have done?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

840Posts Today

6,974Users online

Martin's Twitter