Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atarisrocks
    • By atarisrocks 5th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 553Posts
    • 3,044Thanks
    atarisrocks
    residents not informed on planning permission
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    residents not informed on planning permission 5th Aug 18 at 10:00 AM
    Recently work had started on removing 2 old garages on my street and after looking online it seems that the council has given permission for 3 x 3 storey 3 bedroom houses to be built on the same plot of land.

We received no letter to inform us of this and there wasntthe usual notice on the lamp posts either.

The planning permission was submitted in January and granted the same day and then changes had been submitted in March and granted in April.

I disagree with the plans for the following reasons which I not sure if theses are valid.

These houses will be the only ones with driveways and the plsn is to remove 5 on street parking spots to have 3 driveways so 5 spots lost for other residents but maybe more if the new residents have more than 1 car or choose not to use the driveway

The houses are 3 storey plus attic and the houses around here all are 2 storey so they will tower over them.

Was it the council duty to inform the residents of the planning permission and now it is granted do I have any way to submit a complaint.
    Last edited by atarisrocks; 05-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 25,578 Posts
    • 69,413 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    Does your land share a boundary with any of the plots? Those are the neighbours that should be informed.

You can't object now. There is no process for objecting after permission has been granted.

All you can do is make a complaint to the the Local Government Ombudsman if they did fail to notify the right people. They're not going to actually change anything though.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:16 AM

The planning permission was submitted in January and granted the same day
    Originally posted by atarisrocks

Are you sure of this? It sounds very unlikely.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 6th Aug 18, 3:24 AM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:24 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:24 AM
    The planning permission was submitted in January and granted the same day

That's impossible. There has to be a consultation period, normally 21 days.
    As said above, if you think you should have been notified, complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.
    That won't reverse the decision, the best you will get is that the Ombudsman will give the Council a ticking off.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 18,039 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:33 AM
    The legal requirement for putting signage up does not take account of somebody walking around just behind the person doing it, and ripping the notifications down...

If you look on your council's planning website, you will find the planning application - and all the dates will be shown, together with the statutory consultees and their responses, and any submissions from any other parties.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    We received no letter to inform us of this and there wasnt the usual notice on the lamp posts either.

The planning permission was submitted in January and granted the same day and then changes had been submitted in March and granted in April.

Sometimes these types of thing are in the newspapers, but few people read them these days. Councils are no longer in touch with the people.
    Everyone is on social media, except the council.

• martindow
    • By martindow 6th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    Originally posted by sevenhills

All planning applications and decisions are on the internet though. No doubt some local social media people comment, but you need to search for facebook or twitter accounts covering your local area.

Residents associations and sometimes parish councils often keep an eye on what is happening and comment on applications. Checking their websites can keep you informed even if you don't want to plough through the planning forum.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    Recently work had started on removing 2 old garages on my street and after looking online it seems that the council has given permission for 3 x 3 storey 3 bedroom houses to be built on the same plot of land.

We received no letter to inform us of this and there wasntthe usual notice on the lamp posts either.

I disagree with the plans for the following reasons which I not sure if theses are valid.

These houses will be the only ones with driveways and the plsn is to remove 5 on street parking spots to have 3 driveways so 5 spots lost for other residents but maybe more if the new residents have more than 1 car or choose not to use the driveway

The houses are 3 storey plus attic and the houses around here all are 2 storey so they will tower over them.

Was it the council duty to inform the residents of the planning permission and now it is granted do I have any way to submit a complaint.
    I don't understand this, how can 2 garages (which presumably have dropped kerbs) give 5 on street parking spaces?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,959 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    OP please do a search on the councils planning website - name of town and street is usually enough and post the Council name and reference.

Such a scheme would require full planning and often takes 6- 8 weeks even when passed at the first attempt.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 45,430 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Shouldnt the OP have received a letter from the Council about this - assuming her property borders on the ones concerned?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 25,578 Posts
    • 69,413 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Shouldnt the OP have received a letter from the Council about this - assuming her property borders on the ones concerned?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    See the very first question on the very first reply.

The OP hasn't been back, but their answer makes no difference to the outcome.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 6th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    ProDave
    Up here is is any property within 50 metres gets notified, nut different councils have different rules. I was not notified of a neighbours planning for a conservatory because I was just outside the 50 metres, but I knew about it anyway and had no objection.

I can't see how 5 on street spaces are being lost unless people were unoficcially parking on the space in front of the disused garages which does not count.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 10,912 Posts
    • 9,203 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    They must be wide houses if 3 are equivalent to 5 parking spaces!

I think our council only notifies those properties adjoining the one which has applied for pp, as only found out about next door but one's extension from party wall surveyors trying to drum up business.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 25,578 Posts
    • 69,413 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    All planning applications and decisions are on the internet though. No doubt some local social media people comment, but you need to search for facebook or twitter accounts covering your local area.

Residents associations and sometimes parish councils often keep an eye on what is happening and comment on applications. Checking their websites can keep you informed even if you don't want to plough through the planning forum.
    Originally posted by martindow
    You can have an ongoing alert on the Planning Portal that emails you an alerts you to new planning applications within a certain distance of your postcode. Or you certainly could, as I had one.

Parish Councils are formal consultees on planning applications in their parish. They don't need to look, they are asked.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 7th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    martindow
    You can have an ongoing alert on the Planning Portal that emails you an alerts you to new planning applications within a certain distance of your postcode. Or you certainly could, as I had one.

Parish Councils are formal consultees on planning applications in their parish. They don't need to look, they are asked.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Are the alerts available nationally? I've just had a look on my local authority and couldn't find this option. It may well be there and a reflection on my searching skills!

My point about parish councils was they they may be more active on facebook or twitter or have newsletters that you could subscribe to.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Sometimes these types of thing are in the newspapers, but few people read them these days. Councils are no longer in touch with the people.
    Originally posted by sevenhills

Its the planning regulations that stipulate planning authorities must use the local paper to advertise certain types of development.

Planning departments cannot just decide to use social instead, in fact im sure they would prefer that route as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the price of putting ads in the local rag.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

9,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin