Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 305Thanks
    Smurphington
    Can you get fit without a gym
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    Can you get fit without a gym 5th Aug 18 at 8:39 AM
    I'm a single mum who works 4 days a week so going to the gym is just not a possibility at the moment. I used to enjoy fitness classes and did a lot of them but nowdays walking (which i do a lot of whilst pushimg a 3yr old aroynd) is about the most i do. I was wondering if I could get a bit fitter/build a bit of muscle doing exercise dvds/ you tube videos and if anyone has any recommendations?
Page 2
    • lesta_jesta
    • By lesta_jesta 30th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    lesta_jesta
    I don't have anyone to help me with childcare unfortunately so park runs are out
    Originally posted by Smurphington
    You can walk/jog/run with your child in a buggy at parkrun and they are free and newby and family friendly. Lots of families do it together and there is always someone to run with and talk too. Best wishes l hope you manage to find something that suits you
    parkrun
    • Maxson
    • By Maxson 31st Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Maxson
    I can recommend a book called 'You are your own gym'. Also try the 200 squats program.
    • hatter68
    • By hatter68 17th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hatter68
    I have the DVD you are your own gym Mark Lauren highly recommend.
    • jack07
    • By jack07 30th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jack07
    yes you can.
    you can watch work out channels or just go on youtube. You can aslo do some parkrun
    • Stephenmac
    • By Stephenmac 30th Sep 18, 5:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Stephenmac
    Hi. I got a cross trainer machine from Freeclycle and using it I lost 2 stones in weight and toned my body. The machine broke eventually. They are bulky in the room but I did not need a gym to get fit.
    • jonybrown
    • By jonybrown 3rd Oct 18, 5:05 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jonybrown
    Your fitness gains are determined by what you do, not where you do it. Start using resistance bands and going for the occasional run. Also, Check cardio sessions on youtube (Joe Wicks) and start with 20-30 minutes and then try to increase your time.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 3rd Oct 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    Stoke
    On from my earlier post..... I still don't go the gym as I don't enjoy it. I do play football two or three times a week though, the occasional run and resistance bands and since losing weight and pushing myself harder in matches I've become noticeably fitter
    • southernsun
    • By southernsun 3rd Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 16,417 Thanks
    southernsun
    Been working out from home for 3 years now. My current routine is Suspension Training on Monday (got the Decathalon version of TRX for 15 and its great, just attach it to a door for full body workout), Resistance bands on a Wednesday (lucky to have won a set but they are available for under 20 and again great full body workout), Indoor football at sports centre on a Friday and then dumbell/barbell routine on Saturday. Each workout is 45-90 minutes and the variation stops me getting bored.

Gradually built up a decent set of equipment over the years and am fitter now (mid 30's) than I have ever been and more committed to exercising as working out at home is so much more convenient.
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 3rd Oct 18, 1:53 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    engineer amy
    I usually do classes at my gym, but they have taught me exercises that I can do at home with no equipment - things like tricep dips using the stairs or a dining chair, lots of abdominal works, squats etc.. just need a clear space in the middle of your living room and youtube on the ipad beside you. My local Tesco and lidl often do promotions with fitness equipment - I bought some resistance bands, a yoga mat and a couple of kettlebells for just a few quid.

One of the best things I could have done was invest in a Fitbit. I bought the cheapest one at 45 as it was waterproof and I do a lot of swimming. but between it auto-tracking your activities and tracking your own calories, water, movement etc on the phone app - it has been the best way of keeping me motivated to walk and exercise, having it all recorded seems to keep me accountable if that makes sense.
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • joyknights
    • By joyknights 4th Oct 18, 2:33 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    joyknights
    Yes, you can, all you have to do is to stay motivated, have a healthy diet and do cardio workout from home. It is better if you go some exercise with your loved ones as they provide a lot of moral support.
    • julianaray
    • By julianaray 9th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julianaray
    Yes! gym is not only the place where you can be fit. If you are dedicated then you can fix a schedule in your home or in any public park area. Proper routine of exercise, eating habits and proper sleep can make you much better then gym.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 12th Oct 18, 10:30 PM
    • 17,914 Posts
    • 39,649 Thanks
    Glad
    the MSE guide to free outdoor gyms is on the main site

FREE outdoor gyms – could you save 100s a year on gym membership?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • TheMoneySpider
    • By TheMoneySpider 16th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,367 Thanks
    TheMoneySpider
    I will throw another vote in for Parkrun (and maybe in the few years Junior Parkrun for the wee one). It is great for fitness and motivation AND generally there is a brilliant community around it so you can meet a wide array of people from the super-fits down to mere mortals working through couch to 5k programs. The whole point of it is that it is free and totally inclusive regardless of background or ability.

I did this map of the various Parkrun events :

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1C8azBRuoCXmwpaWqMWJnFG5mkBMMEoJv&ll=53 .047141722536374%2C-1.8825355333353855&z=7
    • adamhoward
    • By adamhoward 16th Oct 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    adamhoward
    Yes, you can, all you have to do is to stay motivated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter