Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trixsie1989
    • By Trixsie1989 5th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 444Posts
    • 463Thanks
    Trixsie1989
    Heated towel rail
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    Heated towel rail 5th Aug 18 at 8:37 AM
    Yes or no from anyone who has these please? Currently planning our new bathroom
    Debt free finally
    First house purchase ... 2018
Page 2
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Aug 18, 1:41 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Our towel rails are linked to the hot water control, not the CH, so they operate throughout the year. I thought that was how all towel rails worked?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Interesting. Are they in a primary circuit that heats a hot water cylinder?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 4,471 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    If you do go for a tall towel rail type radiator consider tiling behind it. We didn't do that and it's a right pain to paint behind.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Grenage
    As for them not being on when the CH is off, that sounds like they aren't connected up correctly. Our towel rails are linked to the hot water control, not the CH, so they operate throughout the year. I thought that was how all towel rails worked?

Yes, we have ours linked in to the hot water return; it's the canny way to do it. Our one does have an electric connection, but we've never needed it.
    • traineepensioner
    • By traineepensioner 6th Aug 18, 11:39 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    traineepensioner
    We have two towel rails in our bathroom. Excellent things wouldn't be without them, certainly not for a radiator.

As for them not being on when the CH is off, that sounds like they aren't connected up correctly. Our towel rails are linked to the hot water control, not the CH, so they operate throughout the year. I thought that was how all towel rails worked?
    A good idea but I don't think that would work in our situation. We only have one radiator in the bathroom and our heating is via a combi boiler, which only produces hot water on demand.
    No longer trainee
    Retired in 2012 (54)
    State pension due 2024 (66)
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Aug 18, 8:14 AM
    • 24,379 Posts
    • 51,501 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Interesting. Are they in a primary circuit that heats a hot water cylinder?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Yes they are.
    • Summer17
    • By Summer17 7th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Summer17
    The reason people complain about cold bathrooms with towel warmers is that their towel warmer simply isn't big enough. Just like with a radiator, you need calculate what output you need for the room size - toasty warm ones do exist but tend to be quite tall.
    Originally posted by mrschaucer
    I agree with the above. I have a towl rail and heat the bathroom well and dry the towls Make sure it big enough to heat the room. Thou get stainless steel the chrome after 10 years need replacing.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 7th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    The mistake most make is buying one too small to do the job of heating the room. Annoys me so much when I watch homes under the hammer and they've installed some pathetic little thing in a giant bathroom that the next poor sod will find is useless. Ours is fairly large for a small bathroom and does a perfect job of heating and towel drying as we sized it correctly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,054Posts Today

9,271Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin