Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misssunshine86
    • By misssunshine86 5th Aug 18, 12:58 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    misssunshine86
    0 WOW
    Non refundable Hotel full of sickness ! what can i do!
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:58 AM
    0 WOW
    Non refundable Hotel full of sickness ! what can i do! 5th Aug 18 at 12:58 AM
    hi.... appreciate some advice as i am driving myself crazy!!!
    So I booked a hotel back in May in mykonos. Reviews were good, fine. Checked reviews again a few days ago, and I have seen 11 of the most recent reviews from travellers with entire families getting sick!!! Explained situation to booking.com, they said they'd request a refund and the hotel said No. I cannot afford to pay out for another hotel so my choice is no holiday at all or go to hotel where everyone is getting sick. Is there anything at all I can do. My boyfriend has a weak immune system so gets sick at the drop of the hat, i just cant risk it with him but all flights etc (also non refundable) are also booked. Obvioisly noone would even want the room having seen the reviews.
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 5th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Westin
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    Not a great position to be in.

Which hotel is it?

Sometimes reviews do need to be taken with a large pinch of salt. That said if recent reviews are reporting the same issue then there well could be a problem. Have you tried messaging the people who left the reviews to see if they will elaborate on the problem? See if they believed it was food related, or from the pool, or something else? Then maybe avoidance measures could be taken.

You could also try contacting the hotel direct and putting your concerns across and see if they would agree to a cancellation. Talking to them yourself, rather than booking.com, might apply sufficient pressure to allow a cancellation. Or if they stick to their guns at least find out their side of the story and what they are doing to correct the problem.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    • 20,880 Posts
    • 56,245 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    I agree with the 'pinch of salt' comment.
    I've read some really nonsense reviews.
    The reviews could also be all the same family unhappy with the hotel in general.
    What type of sickness are they reporting?

Do say what hotel it is, maybe a fresh set of eyes could make more sense of these adverse reviews.
    • misssunshine86
    • By misssunshine86 5th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    misssunshine86
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    Hi,
    I haven't tried directly mainly because i didn't want to offend them if i still ended up going! To be honest I know i should have checked these reviews more carefully before I went but i didnt and at the time there were obviously not as many. it is the arte &mare luxury suites.
    Nadya
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 20,880 Posts
    • 56,245 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    Is it the Arte & Mare Elia Mykonos Suites?
    I can't see the 11 recent reviews that mention entire families getting sick.

The recent reviews seem to be mainly about the actual state of the hotel, I'd be more worried that I wasn't going to get a 5* experience than a tummy bug.

The most recent review (IKSwiss, Geneva) says "The owner has not spent a dime on renovations in probably 20 years."
    According to the hotel blurb "Brand new established in 2008 Arte&Mare Elia Suites is the only 5* SPA hotel in Mykonos".
    That poster mentioned getting 'a stomach virus' from food on the beach.

One 1* review was from someone who hadn't stayed at the hotel but expected them to sort out fraudulent use of his credit card.

The review about the whole family getting sick was posted in December 2017. That review was there when you booked in May.

The last 4 reviews have been 1 x 1*, 1 x 2* and 2 x 3*.
    Reviews going back to April are all 5* - with the exception of the 'fraudulent credit card' idiot.

I tend to take more notice of reviewers with more than 1 review to their account.

Am I looking at the wrong place?
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 5th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    Wash your hands and don't drink the pool water.

You'll be fine.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 18,789 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    richardw
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    Wash your hands and don't drink the pool water.

You'll be fine.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    Yes, do this and go.

Btw the restaurant on the beach is very good, the portions are large and big enough to share, so ask for another plate. It's one of the best beaches on the island.
    Last edited by richardw; 05-08-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 5th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    Just eat out if your worried, drink bottled water and don't spend too much time in the sun and you should be fine
    roll on end of April 2019 *13 done* = *27 to go*
    • misssunshine86
    • By misssunshine86 5th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    misssunshine86
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    I can live with the hotel not being quite 5 star. the reviews were on booking.com and TripAdvisor and yes I found 11 from the last year. I suppose we could just be super careful my boyfriend just had a tendancy to get sick every 5 minutes and its like having a sick child
    • misssunshine86
    • By misssunshine86 5th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    misssunshine86
    thanks everyone I'm probably getting over anxious. appreciated.
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 5th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 1,742 Thanks
    Februarycat
    Just make sure you and your boyfriend use hand sanitizer and wash hands, plenty of water, I'm sure you will be fine and enjoy your holiday.
    OnePoll = 40.00 11/3/16 - 40 28/12/17
    25.00 11/10/18
    Pureprofile = 20.50
    PanelOpinion = 4.90
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 5th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Somewhere like Mykonos, eat fresh, drink bottled, and you won't go wrong.

To remind yourself of what holidays used to be like, I recommend watching Micky Flanagan's sketch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tcwns5LmQ
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 6th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Ganga
    I can live with the hotel not being quite 5 star. the reviews were on booking.com and TripAdvisor and yes I found 11 from the last year. I suppose we could just be super careful my boyfriend just had a tendancy to get sick every 5 minutes and its like having a sick child
    Originally posted by misssunshine86

Leave him at home and have a great holiday
    only kidding,take care and have a great holiday
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Blaise in Surrey
    • By Blaise in Surrey 6th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blaise in Surrey
    Remember to:
    use bottled water to brush your teeth;
    refuse ice cubes in drinks;
    avoid salads as they will have been washed in 'local' water - eat only cooked vegetables.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 20,880 Posts
    • 56,245 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Remember to:
    avoid salads as they will have been washed in 'local' water - eat only cooked vegetables.
    Originally posted by Blaise in Surrey
    Lordy!
    I've been going to Greece for 35 years and never done any of those 3 things.
    And never been ill.
    That's the advice reps used to trot out

IIRC, on our last holiday to Greece (in June) the rep said it was safe to drink the water but advisable to stick to bottled as tap water contained a lot of minerals.

I remember drinking water from a well behind a church altar high up in the mountains offered to us by a very old lady who looked after the church. We were young and didn't want to appear rude.

No wonder people nowadays have little immunity to things.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 8,481 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Remember to:

That was the advice to backpackers exploring Africa in the early 1980s (when that was what I was doing). Even then it was rather OTT...
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 8,481 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Lordy!
    I've been going to Greece for 35 years and never done any of those 3 things.
    And never been ill.
    That's the advice reps used to trot out

IIRC, on our last holiday to Greece (in June) the rep said it was safe to drink the water but advisable to stick to bottled as tap water contained a lot of minerals.

I remember drinking water from a well behind a church altar high up in the mountains offered to us by a very old lady who looked after the church. We were young and didn't want to appear rude.

No wonder people nowadays have little immunity to things.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

I think the issue is that (young) people have to behave like this because they have grown up with very little immunity to things.

Personally, I blame the parents...
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 13,517 Posts
    • 9,025 Thanks
    photome
    Remember to:

is that just in Mykonos or everywhere? !!

OTT IMO
    • Chyna-s
    • By Chyna-s 6th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 18,681 Thanks
    Chyna-s
    Remember to:
    No ice in my G&T! I think not!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,839Posts Today

8,369Users online

Martin's Twitter