Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jeden
    • By Jeden 4th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Jeden
    Detached new build exterior wall issue?
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    Detached new build exterior wall issue? 4th Aug 18 at 6:41 PM
    We are due to complete on our first home on the 17th, so we decided to pop down and have a look. At the moment nobody lives in any of our neighbouring houses so we decided to check out the fencing as it seemed to encroach a bit onto our land.

It appears as though on one side of our house we donít have any access to the exterior wall of our ďdetachedĒ home, which seems a bit strange to me. I would worry they could do whatever they wanted to the walls of our house and we couldnít see it or raise an issue with it. We also couldnít access the wall if we needed to fit a sky dish or run cables etc. (Picture linked)

https://ibb.co/ecCrqe

Although not a major concern to us we just wanted to ask what are peopleís opinions? Does this look right? Iíd have though the fence they have added to partition both houses at the front, would have been set back to the rear of both houses so we could then access all areas of our exterior wall should we wish.

As I mentioned I am standing in the neighbours garden here. I hope it makes sense.
    Last edited by Jeden; 04-08-2018 at 6:46 PM.
Page 2
    • Jeden
    • By Jeden 5th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Jeden
    Thanks for all the replies.

The eaves do hang onto next doors boundary from the look of it, however on reflection I really donít think not having access to such a small section of our wall is any real concern and certainly wonít cause any problems with resale etc.

I will request the developers move the small bridging fence back to the rear of the houses as the neighbours house isnít sold yet. If they refuse iíll ask if it can be a gated door so we can access it should we need.

I do really appreciate all of the replies.
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 6th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Grezz24
    out of interest whos the developer / where are you based?

we are buying a new build detached and i have a feeling that ill get the same situation you are in.

although the plans show there the fence is build between both homes, however i dont know how practical that is for a tiny strip of land / what use would you get.

i also wondered how they flog them as detached if you cannot access one of the walls.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    martindow
    There is a legal right to be able to access a neighbour's land to do repairs to your house. It's not ideal as it has the potential to cause problems if neighbours choose to be difficult.

This house stretches the definition of a detached house to the limit. Most people would expect to be able to walk round a detached house. It is not attached to another building but it is attached to a neigbour's land, but that's new builds for you!
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 6th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    My house was built in 1905 and is surrounded by similar houses. They are detached but you cannot walk round your own house. I had never thought of it as a problem before.
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 6th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Grezz24
    not a problem to start with, but if the neighbors decide to fit goalposts to the wall im sure it would quickly become an issue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,775Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin