Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 69Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Out of debt but out of sorts
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    Out of debt but out of sorts 4th Aug 18 at 5:55 PM
    I know I should be incredibly happy that I'm debt free, only took me 15years .

And I'm very happy and so grateful and I do get those moments of pure elation, but did anyone else feel out of sorts at times?

I think it needs a bit of time to sink in and I'm just so worried that I may go back there...

I don't won't to sound like an ungrateful !!!!!!!, especially to those that are still in the midst of it....
Page 1
    • middleclassbutpoor
    • By middleclassbutpoor 4th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    middleclassbutpoor
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    I imagine it will be a natural feeling - you have just got to apply that focus you have had and apply it to now creating wealth for yourself and making money work for you to give you a peace of mind knowing you wont have to reach for credit when you want something.

Well done on your journey...
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    • 4th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    Thank you middleclassbutpoor!

It!!!8217;s a feeling I!!!8217;m sure will pass, something to adjust to and the feeling of not wanting to go into debt again will help
    • -taff
    • By -taff 4th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 5,692 Thanks
    -taff
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    You've had a goal for a long time and now you've done it.

After that, you didn't have another goal. Now you have to decide what your next one will be.

There's that saying, may all your dreams come true but one...Make another goal
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 4th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 5,222 Thanks
    MrsSave
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    A massive well done for becoming debt free. It's such an achievement.

I became debt free in February. Between then and the end of June I struggled. Instead of adding to any savings, by the end of June my accounts were pretty empty (though thankfully I didn't gain new debt). June scared me. I realised that I needed to get my head back into the budgeting mindset and still work hard at it, but save any extras instead of throw them at debts. July was a great month, and August has started in the same way.

I'm hoping the wobble was a short term thing, and the shock made me realise what I needed to do to move on.
    Finally debt free (other than the mortgage) - 05/02/18
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S.....life after debt' below:
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 4th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    A great achievement.
    It takes a while to get your head round it all.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 14,945 Posts
    • 14,018 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    Addmitidly I could not wait that long, thatís a hell of a long time, but I know what you mean, you get to the end, and itís a bit of a ďoh is that itĒ kinda feeling.

You have done well, just donít expect the bells and whistles lol
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 4th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 5,301 Posts
    • 6,589 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    Sometimes I feel a bit flat in part because I don't feel as elated about something as I think I should, and its over, and what now?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • tealady
    • By tealady 5th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    tealady
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:36 AM
    Hi Debtfreeforever.
    I know how you feel. For me it was partly because friends and family were not as excited as I was. Illogical I know however I got round it (in part) by having a "target" for the money (IYSWIM).
    I have a standing order to two savings accounts which I use for specific purposes.
    Then any money left at the end of each month (I am paid monthly) is what I call "fritter" money and I spend it on whatever I like.
    I keep a list of things I want then I either buy off that list or put the fritter money aside till I have enough for an expensive item.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 5th Aug 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,906 Posts
    • 40,515 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I think when you initially become DF it's a bit of an anti-climax. We were so focused on becoming DF that when we both made our final payments we were like "oh that's it"! No fanfare, no fireworks just moving on.

We then went through a period of buying things we had delayed because of debt payments taking all our disposable cash.

I think the real benefit to becoming df is the long term. 8 years on we are still df (we borrowed £5k from mil when we bought our house so that is what the DF status is in my sig - but we never really considered that as debt!). My partner did put £2k on a 0% cc when he bought his car and paid that off over a year. He did have the cash but chose to keep his savings & the int each month.

Things that we need/want (within reason) we get, we save up if it's a large amount and we use credit to our advantage. Every now and then I get a good feeling about the position we're in.

It's a slow burn for sure!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • dionysia
    • By dionysia 5th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    dionysia
    Fifteen years is a long time and I think it's natural you would feel a bit lost now it's done! I'm a while away yet, but when I finish paying mine off I'm definitely planning on doing something to mark the occasion. Maybe you could cook a special meal and raise a glass to being debt-free, go somewhere that means something to you and sit for a while and reflect on your journey and how you want to manage your money in the future, plant a flower, or write a letter to yourself to open in a year? Obviously you will know what would feel meaningful for you, but just something to help you say goodbye to this chapter of your life and look ahead.
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 5th Aug 18, 1:14 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    Identify a new goal for sure.

I get a real kick out of saving, I'm actually overlapping the saving and debt paying as the debt is borrowed from family towards property deposit, so in my mind is over paying the mortgage with a big pinch of guilt. Once it's gone I know my relief will be small, and then I'll focus on getting the savings to 5k
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 2.1k personal savings --- Family Loan (3.5k paid direct + 2.5k in saver + 238.05 saver 2) 6238.09/10K paid 62.3%
    #38 1% Challenge take 1: £676.15! 1% Challenge take 2: £76.58/1838.56, now at 4.1%!
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 5th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    Well done first of all. Maybe you need a new goal, a savings target for a treat? Or something you need? Think on what your goals are in the next year/few years, maybe give yourself a new focus

Savings can become quite addictive it's nice seeing it build or maybe overpaying your mortgage you have one? But also you deserve after that time to live a little and maybe treat yourself?
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 5th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Thanks soooooo much everyone for not judging and saying that I am an ungrateful ba£t@rd!

Really appreciate this sound advice and will take on board everything you said!!!
    • Newstart3
    • By Newstart3 8th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Newstart3
    Well done, that's a massive achievement! I've fallen into the trap of popping bits on my credit card & instantly regretting it! I have mine set to pay the full amount so I don't incur any interest but I obviously suffer the following month for my lack of restraint. Maybe set a savings target and see how quickly you can save up for a well deserved holiday or a nice treat xx
    TSB £3,303, MBMA £4,315, Barclays £4,463, Argos £1,260, Mortimer Clarke CCJ £2,174, Lloyds CC £1534, Littlewoods £796, Next £510, Wonga £123, , Lending Stream 1 £130.87, Bensons for beds £1509, Lending Stream 2 £255.96, Lloyds CC £1,534, Total Jan 16 £21,908, Feb £20,412 Sept £15,515 Total Aug 18 £3,303
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    another casualty
    Interesting thread .
    Well done on those who are debt free, and good luck to others who are still plugging away .

Being in debt for long periods can get ontop of us making us trapped and put in a corner scratching to get out .

What I've found is that from the year 2000 until now , we had the supposedly good times where it seemed that loans / credit cards / mortgage applications etc were basically chucked at you and giving the false sense of security . Then we had the worst recession possibly of all time , which has affected so many of us .
    Now it's all about "affordability " even if you have a fair bit of equity in your home. Then of course, the employment situation . It's all linked .

Wages are for most of us unskilled workers actually less than 10 years ago . If I were to get £10 an hour 10 years ago, I would be looking at minimum wage or £10 max when everything shoots up in price .
    Plus of course, employers can treat you as they like as so many more apply for the same positions often for less money .
    Those are reasons enough to never want to be in debt and feel like shouting from the rooftops. However ...

There are some nasty manipulative adverts on tv which want you to have a loan with a guarantor / release equity in your property / have a credit card where you are more or less likely to have one and give a percentage of your will to charities who already receive billions.

In other words enjoy your freedom , swear at tv (or better still turn
    over )and breathe a sigh of relief .
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 12th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Well done you for getting yourself out of debt!

Its very easy to feel flat though. You've devoted such a large part of your time and energy to reaching this goal, but nobody (apart from us, because we've all been there and are still wearing out the t-shirt) really appeciates what struggles you have been through. Its also quite a mind-shift from being in debt to debt free, but I totally understand your worry of falling into debt again.

I think the way forward for you now is as LauraLous and Silver Lining say, to set yourself some new goals - something to save up for, or even save up what you can so if you do treat yourself to anything, the money is there for you to do it.

The most important thing is that you don't forget the lessons you have learnt over the past 15 years , and continue to carry on doing those things that you did to get yourself out of debt.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 12th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    When I got debt free, I started a 'savings snowball'. It's exactly the same as a debt except in reverse. I ordered the individual saving targets according to their priority and then started the snowball. £10/month into each saving target, with the remainder all going to target #1.

It worked for me as it gave me new goals. It may be something you may want to try too
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Good advice there from Willing2Learn.

Like you Debtfreeforever, once I paid off all my debt I was left feeling rather deflated and overwhelmed. It even contributed to part of a depressive episode I went through. I expected to feel over the moon and be able to shout out to the world that I did it but I didn't.

The debt I had was for my car and I managed to save lots of money utilising low interest loans/0% cards to cover the balance. I saved £1000's in interest through doing this and enjoyed the challenge each month to see how much I could bring it down too. It was like a drive and I was so determined to save money in any way possible to get rid of it.

Then once I finally paid it off, I saw no more challenges. I already saved money each month to go towards other things such as a house deposit fund etc but then I had money left that I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't want to spend it but at the same time I had no goals for it.

After a while I found a way that worked for me and diverted my spare money/funds into seperate accounts for different things or purposes i.e. holiday fund, emergency fund, car fund, entertainment fund. I now find great joy in seeing those balances build up and I then have the cash for whatever purpose I need. I challenge myself to come under budget each month in different accounts and it still gives me that drive, just in a different way. I have targets I set myself and I am determined to meet them in any way possible. I am still quite savvy at the whole money saving situation and through looking after the pennies, I see the rewards in the pounds.

I still utilise a credit card that I put a small balance on each month then pay them off in full, just to build credit history. I have other credit cards for different purposes (travel card, 0% purchases etc). For example with the 0% purchase card, I have made some purchases onto this but pay just above the minimum amount each month and with the savings I make, I put these into a high interest accounts. to reap the benefits. At the end of the term I will have the funds to pay off the full balances whilst also gaining interest. However I understand this does not work for everyone, but I am rather disciplined when it comes to my finances.
    Check out my Diary
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 18th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Thanks so much for extra comments everyone, so so helpful.

Thanks so much Chandlier for your honesty.

I am starting to get used to the idea and I am now budgeting nearly everyday, using the YNAB method but my own spreadsheet, getting a real kick out of it!

Stared a saving account too, to pay for regular payments such as car maintenance, insurance etc...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin