Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rocketdogroya
    • By Rocketdogroya 4th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Rocketdogroya
    Damaged buy dirty return?
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    Damaged buy dirty return? 4th Aug 18 at 5:38 PM
    I bought a dress from debenhams online. When i was trying it on i notice a loose thread so decided to send it back. When i was removing it i couldnt get the concealed zip down ( this is usual, i have poor grip) i managed to shimmy and turn it and got the zip down. In doing so id transfered a tiny amount of nail varnish on ( i thought my nail varnish was dry) so i tried nail varnish remover but instead of removing it, it smeared it and now the dress has a big dark patch.. the loose thread is a small thing in comparison, if id have loved the dress i would have just cut it off.

Please can someone advise if i have the right of a faulty return still?

Thank you.
    Roya
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 4th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    A single loose thread is hardly a fault, so this would be a change of mind return.

You're still entitled to return it but expect the refund to be reduced (probably to zero) to account for the damage you've done.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 4th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You're having a laugh?
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 13,055 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    I despair.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 4th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    You have damaged it, it's yours. Congratulations
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 13,672 Posts
    • 9,190 Thanks
    photome
    • 4th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    Posts on this board get stranger every day
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 5th Aug 18, 12:10 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:10 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:10 AM
    No way is this serious. Good effort, though!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 61,187 Posts
    • 43,737 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    You're having a laugh?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    You would hope so, but as someone who sells online I can sure you that people expect full refunds even when they damage perfectly good items themselves.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    It!!!8217;s your own fault for not trying it on with dry nail varnish. You!!!8217;ve damaged it, it!!!8217;s yours. You may as well try and clean it to keep it
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 33,151 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I bought a dress from debenhams online. When i was trying it on i notice a loose thread so decided to send it back. When i was removing it i couldnt get the concealed zip down ( this is usual, i have poor grip) i managed to shimmy and turn it and got the zip down. In doing so id transfered a tiny amount of nail varnish on ( i thought my nail varnish was dry) so i tried nail varnish remover but instead of removing it, it smeared it and now the dress has a big dark patch.. the loose thread is a small thing in comparison, if id have loved the dress i would have just cut it off.

Please can someone advise if i have the right of a faulty return still?

Thank you.
    Roya
    Originally posted by Rocketdogroya
    Keep the dress, could you cover up the dark patch with something, im sure theres plenty of ideas of pinterest. Where is the dark patch ?

No chance of a refund now.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 5th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I got nail varnish on a dress once. A lot of perseverance with the nail polish remover later I can wear it again. If the dye doesn't run in it then it's worth trying since I agree you're stuck with the dress now.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • Rocketdogroya
    • By Rocketdogroya 7th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rocketdogroya
    Rosemary, you are the only person to provide a reply that wasnt belittling and making me feel like a con woman. Thank you.
    I know the nail varnish was my fault and wouldnt have expected anything if it wasnt already damaged? I called debenhams and they advised if the dress is faulty, regardless im entitled to a refund. I took the dress back and thats what happened!!!
    I am more disappointed by what is usually a really helpful forum to give advice or ideas reacting negativly to a genuine question that nobody answered. Im now disheartened by thevforum but refunded.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 7th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    maisie cat
    So now the manufacturer of the dress, who could have fixed a loose thread, is now stuck with a nail varnish damaged dress. Even worse would be if Debenhams put it back on the rack and another unfortunate person buys it. Nice
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 7th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    brewthebear
    I,d hardly call a loose thread faulty you damaged it then had the cheek to ask for a refund you should be ashamed...
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 7th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    So now the manufacturer of the dress, who could have fixed a loose thread, is now stuck with a nail varnish damaged dress. Even worse would be if Debenhams put it back on the rack and another unfortunate person buys it. Nice
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    Some have no morals.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Rosemary, you are the only person to provide a reply that wasnt belittling and making me feel like a con woman.
    Originally posted by Rocketdogroya
    I didnt think you were a con woman, I thought you were careless and chancing your arm.

Now youve made an imaginary fault to get your money back, now I think youre a con woman...
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 7th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I'm not sure how you picked me up as being the only non accusatory poster! Plenty of other straightforward, useful posts were made before I got here.

When you said loose thread I think I and most others were imagining a thread that just didn't get trimmed off properly. I have loads on garments I sew 'cos I very rarely go through thoroughly enough I'm guessing that isn't what you meant though given that you're getting a refund.

maisie cat - I doubt they'd send the dress for repair. It's unlikely to be worth the cost even before it got nail polish on it.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,565Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter