Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 4th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    aido_daudov
    Marketplace fraud
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    Marketplace fraud 4th Aug 18 at 1:26 PM
    Hi to everyone. First I want to apologize for the poor English, but I really need your help. About 2 Months ago in Facebook marketplace I found person selling carpart which I needed. I contacted with him by Facebook messenger and realized that he lives to far from me that why I asked him to send the part with DPD parcel company and I will pay for that aswell. He gave me his back account number and sort code and his names. I sent the money immediately and he confirmed that he received the money. Few days later he told me that he sent the part but couldn't provide me any tracking number or receipt from the parcel company. After 2-3 weeks of waiting for something to happen I told him that I now he didn't sent anything and asked for my money back, I gave him my bank details but haven't received any money yet and he stopped answer me messages. I tried to open small court case but they need his address which I havent got. Im asking you for your help. And sorry again for the poor English.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 60,927 Posts
    • 43,495 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    Hi to everyone. First I want to apologize for the poor English, but I really need your help. About 2 Months ago in Facebook marketplace I found person selling carpart which I needed. I contacted with him by Facebook messenger and realized that he lives to far from me that why I asked him to send the part with DPD parcel company and I will pay for that aswell. He gave me his back account number and sort code and his names. I sent the money immediately and he confirmed that he received the money. Few days later he told me that he sent the part but couldn't provide me any tracking number or receipt from the parcel company. After 2-3 weeks of waiting for something to happen I told him that I now he didn't sent anything and asked for my money back, I gave him my bank details but haven't received any money yet and he stopped answer me messages. I tried to open small court case but they need his address which I havent got. Im asking you for your help. And sorry again for the poor English.
    Originally posted by aido_daudov
    The bad news is that you have almost certainly lost your money. Bank transfers are not a way of paying safely and you cannot get it back via your bank. Even if you were to go,to small claims you would need a geographic address that is linked to the seller, and I can't suggest any way of getting that.

Whilst it won't help on this occasion always pay using a safe method, a proper PayPal payment or by card.

You can report to auctionfraud so they have a note of it, but it doesn't help you get your money back.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 4th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    Thaks for your answer. I just find out where he works. If I give his working place address like his would it work. He will get the court letter probably
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 60,927 Posts
    • 43,495 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    Thaks for your answer. I just find out where he works. If I give his working place address like his would it work. He will get the court letter probably
    THat would work if it is his business, if he is an employee then you would still need a geographic address.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 4th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    It looks like a small family business but he is an employee there . Thats all the info that I foundfor him on his Facebook profile. I was hoping that they will pass him the letter when they see his name on it. So disappointed ((
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 27,748 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    If he is a scammer then his profile will be fake also.

Bank transfers are not the way to do business with strangers. Its like popping the money in an evelope and leaving it in a public bin.

Stick to ebay or cash on collection sales.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 4th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 8,759 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    RFW
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    It looks like a small family business but he is an employee there . Thats all the info that I foundfor him on his Facebook profile. I was hoping that they will pass him the letter when they see his name on it. So disappointed ((
    How much money are we talking about?

If you issue a court claim that will cost money, if it isn't the address of the person then it will be sent back to the court and you'd have to find the right address. I think that also costs extra money.

On the other hand if you do have his work address and it is a small company they may not be pleased that their employee is defrauding people. Unfortunately that might not help you get your money back.

If it were me and I have the details you have I'd probably write a (polite) letter to the company along with any details you may have to back it up. Stick in your bank details and ask to be reimbursed. That's not going to cost you any more than a stamp and has about as much chance of working as a court claim.
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 5th Aug 18, 12:04 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:04 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:04 AM
    Thank for all your answers and help. His Facebook profile is not fake because I see every day he is posting stuff, i can see his pictures his friends and family (probably he doesn't realise that because I'm not in his Facebook friends list). I thought to write to his family and friends about what he did but just wanted to keep it like a last option because that wil remaind him to block me. I will try to write to his employer, will ask some friend to write it in fluency English. Thanks guys.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 16,436 Posts
    • 12,529 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    What value ?
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 5th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    140, sory I forgot to answer to this question.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 5th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 16,436 Posts
    • 12,529 Thanks
    hollydays
    To get his home address, could you get a friend to offer to collect an item from his home if he's still selling
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 5th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    Yeah he still sells stuff, I told one friend but still has no answer. If you type in marketplace " Standard Volvo intercooler" you will see it For 108, and when you press on seller's information you can see that he sells a bike and radio player. If someone ask him for the bike and where can collect it would be great
    • RFW
    • By RFW 5th Aug 18, 3:37 PM
    • 8,759 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    RFW
    140, sory I forgot to answer to this question.
    In my opinion a court claim would be throwing more money away for a small amount. I'd generally caution that under 200 or so and depending on your chances of getting paid if you win.
    A court claim could be defended by the defendant saying they were hacked and it wasn't paid into their account. You'd then have to prove it was which would mean you needing police help, which, sadly, you're unlikely to get.

Try the employer and report to police via action fraud, also report to Facebook.
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 5th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    Will try the employer, I have tried with Facebook but nothing happened.
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 10th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    Employer is not bothered, can someone pls help me. Just find his post in marketplace and ask him for location to collect it this weekend, and pass me the details.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 60,927 Posts
    • 43,495 Thanks
    soolin
    Employer is not bothered, can someone pls help me. Just find his post in marketplace and ask him for location to collect it this weekend, and pass me the details.
    That's not really what this forum is for, ask a work colleague or family member to help.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • aido_daudov
    • By aido_daudov 13th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    aido_daudov
    I did, but he doesn't answer them before he cann see that they are my friends or related to me. Ok no worries thank you all for your help
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 27,748 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Get someone who is not on your facebook list to ask him.

Remove someone from your list and then ask or create a new account and add random people and then ask him yourself.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

9,509Users online

Martin's Twitter