Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 4th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    spin0000
    CPM fine for parking a 'commercial vehicle' outside my house
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    CPM fine for parking a 'commercial vehicle' outside my house 4th Aug 18 at 12:14 PM
    Hi
    I have read the newbies guide, perhaps too late though?
    12 days ago, I received a fine of 100 from CPM for parking a 'commercial vehicle' outside my own house after 7 pm , even though my parking permit was prominently displayed. It was a rented transit van from Enterprise that had no sign on it (it was a new, plain grey standard sized Transit). I used the van as a one-off to transport a large sofa to my house, and had no option but to park it outside overnight as I was returning the van the next day. I was completely unaware about the line on the estate sign that says 'no commercials between 7pm and 7 am' . I asked Which Legal for advice, and they said to appeal saying that it is not a commercial vehicle, but a generic rental vehicle and stating the reasons I was using as above. I placed the appeal last week. Today, I noticed that I have received no confirmation email that I am supposed to when making the appeal, so I resent it again via the website. Again, I had no email.

So, have I made a mistake here? Or what are my options? Thank you for any advice.
Page 2
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 6th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spin0000
    update....
    I called the Site Management Company, and spoke to a very nice lady there who could appreciate that I had no choice but to park there overnight (the van was rented from close to a relative's house, from where I got the sofa, on a 24 hour rental. The journey was 2-3 hours each way and I had to return the vehicle the next working day. She asked me to send all the details to her and said she'd phone CPM direct to ask them to be lenient .

Hopefully, this will resolve.... if not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 6th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Hopefully, this will resolve.... if not, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...
    It won't. You'll have a bridge to cross. Stick around and we'll help
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to RTFM - the Civil Procedure Rules
    2. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend- See #1
    3. Failing to RTFCL - the Court letters
    4. Template defences that say nothing - See #1
    5. Forgetting about the Witness Statement - See #3
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 10th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spin0000
    cancelled!
    Well.....I have an update.

The estate management company have managed to get my ticket cancelled!

Sense has prevailed.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for their advice and support! Had they not cancelled, I would have been prepared to go the whole hog, but thankfully I don't now need to.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Aug 18, 10:46 AM
    • 20,629 Posts
    • 32,541 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Great result. . Saved you a lot of crap further down the track if it hadn't been resolved locally.

You now need to think about what you're going to do in relation to your permit, because if that slides off your dashboard at any time in the future, you're back here opening another thread!
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Well.....I have an update.

The estate management company have managed to get my ticket cancelled!

Sense has prevailed.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for their advice and support! Had they not cancelled, I would have been prepared to go the whole hog, but thankfully I don't now need to.
    Originally posted by spin0000
    Well done.

Always worth a try to get it cancelled "at source". While others disagree I am in the being nice at first camp. Sounds like two nice people got it sorted out!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Im in the "get it fixed permanently" camp
    If your lease allows you to park, and makes no mention of permits, then tell the MC to remove you from the permit set up, as it has no benefit to you. None.
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 10th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spin0000
    Permit now stuck to screen of my cat :-D
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 10th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spin0000
    d'oh, CAR, not cat - stupid spell checker
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    NeilCr
    On the phone to the RSPCA now!

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 20,629 Posts
    • 32,541 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I certainly wasn't thinking of that in relation to displaying a permit (whether your car, or your cat).
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 11th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 5,153 Thanks
    fisherjim
    The problem is you are still participating in the scammer's game, one step outside their made up rules and you are back here.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 11th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 6,236 Thanks
    Half_way
    You need to tell the management company that you are giving them formal notice that you are not participating in the permit scheme, and up to now you have only been displaying a permit as a courtesy not an obligation.

Would you accept a so called requirement to have a permit for your cat so it could only sit/lie in certain areas?
    or a permit scheme that stated you can only use your lavatory between 10:30pm and 8am if you posses a valid permit?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • spin0000
    • By spin0000 12th Aug 18, 6:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    spin0000
    I fully appreciate the sentiments of this post about not participating, but I wonder how I would feel if someone else parked in my space - and this, imho, is the real reason for the permits, isn't it?
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    The Deep
    But the very word implies that you are being given permission to park in your space. If that space is assigned to you by lease, or is part of your demised property, you already have that permission. To display a permit gives a modicum of legitimacy to the scammer.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I fully appreciate the sentiments of this post about not participating, but I wonder how I would feel if someone else parked in my space - and this, imho, is the real reason for the permits, isn't it?

That's the one

I fully agree with the sentiment that no-one should be "punished" for parking in their own, allocated, owned space. Unfortunately, there is a lack of effective, viable alternatives. Having said that we have found, in one of our car parks, that parking posts work pretty well. Although, they get knocked over quite a bit!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    NeilCr
    But the very word implies that you are being given permission to park in your space. If that space is assigned to you by lease, or is part of your demised property, you already have that permission. To display a permit gives a modicum of legitimacy to the scammer.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Indeed.

But, that doesn't help when you rock up at midnight to find someone parked in your space! There has to be some "penalty" to deter those parking pariahs who don't give a fig about anyone else
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Joseph Cyril Bamford , is your friend
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    The Deep
    The MA is probably within its rights to remove the vehicle.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    The MA is probably within its rights to remove the vehicle.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    and get there hands "dirty"

no they will leave it to a private contractor to clamp or tow

hang on , just remembered POFa 2012 , catch 22 time
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 12th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 9,677 Posts
    • 12,737 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Indeed.

But, that doesn't help when you rock up at midnight to find someone parked in your space! There has to be some "penalty" to deter those parking pariahs who don't give a fig about anyone else
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    We all agree with you

The problem with installing parking vermin is that they
    think they have a "licence to kill", and as you know be it
    right or wrong, the scare tactics they use will provoke
    people to pay, even if they do have a permit that fell into
    the footwell. It's not just idiots that get tickets its people
    who are entitled to park

Apart from having a barrier or chains across a parking space,
    in this world of more cars than parking spaces, we can
    understand your frustration
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin