Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 166Posts
    • 104Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    What do you have in your utility?
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    What do you have in your utility? 4th Aug 18 at 11:37 AM
    We are completely remodelling our bungalow and are reviewing some initial plans from the architect. So far our plans have a nice main front entrance, through the hall etc and a 'muddy' entrance as I call it which would be a door into the utility and from there you can access the downstairs bathroom which would be a Jack and Jill type with an entrance from the utility or the main hallway and a door into the kitchen/open plan dining.

I'd planned the utility to have space for washer/dryer, a sink for more messy type things, some storage, e.g. vacuum cleaner etc, laundry. For anyone else with a utility, do you have a sink in there? Do you find a utility useful and is there anything else to include?
Page 3
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    • 9,744 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    missile
    We have a sink, washing machine, tumble drier and freezer. One idea we had was to raise the washer and drier off the floor, makes it far easier and more convenient to use the appliances.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    dunroving
    We are completely remodelling our bungalow and are reviewing some initial plans from the architect. So far our plans have a nice main front entrance, through the hall etc and a 'muddy' entrance as I call it which would be a door into the utility and from there you can access the downstairs bathroom which would be a Jack and Jill type with an entrance from the utility or the main hallway and a door into the kitchen/open plan dining.

I'd planned the utility to have space for washer/dryer, a sink for more messy type things, some storage, e.g. vacuum cleaner etc, laundry. For anyone else with a utility, do you have a sink in there? Do you find a utility useful and is there anything else to include?
    Originally posted by todayisagreatday
    How large is the utility area? I'd think this will affect what is put in there. If it's small, it might only be a laundry area, for example (washing, drying, with a sink perhaps).

A larger utility area could include space and equipment for several functions (utility = useful, functional, adaptable, etc.). It could include storage (especially for awkward items such as ironing board, vacuum cleaner, power washer), a work bench and tool area, pet feeding area, even workout space. All of these things are functional and would go in any (large) utility area I build onto my house. I refuse to call it a garage because I don't plan to store my car in it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 33,267 Posts
    • 20,087 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Water Jets and stuff moving make dishwashers noisy as can blocked jets.

In ours foil containers are the worst unless held down by stuff on top of them.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    EssexExile
    One idea we had was to raise the washer and drier off the floor, makes it far easier and more convenient to use the appliances.
    by missile
    See post #7

Water Jets and stuff moving make dishwashers noisy as can blocked jets.

In ours foil containers are the worst unless held down by stuff on top of them.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Higher spec dishwashers have better sound insulation, our Bosch is almost silent. We once rented a house in Florida that had a dishwasher called a "GE Superquiet" or something similar, I've never heard a domestic appliance make so much noise!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 33,267 Posts
    • 20,087 Thanks
    getmore4less
    We have a sink, washing machine, tumble drier and freezer. One idea we had was to raise the washer and drier off the floor, makes it far easier and more convenient to use the appliances.
    Originally posted by missile
    Done properly no problems for maintenance.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Done properly no problems for maintenance.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Yes, American ones often come with plinths attached to the machine so the whole thing can be moved. I've been to service washing machines on immovable plinths & I'm not lifting 80Kg of washing machine off a plinth.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

8,090Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin