What do you have in your utility?

Comments

• mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nobody seems to have mentioned freestanding microwave ovens? We have ours in the utility room to keep our kitchen worktops free - they are fairly ugly beasts at the best of times.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Do you know? I actually forgot that we also have the CH boiler in there too! I'm beginning to realise how useful it really is as I look at the next- door toilet which only contains the basics.... maybe I could add a cupboard in there.... ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

One thing I am undecided on is a dishwasher area in a utility or keep that in the kitchen area.

We changed a small utility area which had a sink in, took the sink out and used the space for a slimline dishwasher as that was the only way we could get one in without remodelling the kitchen. It was OK.... but not ideal. I used to empty the plates etc onto a tray and carry them across to the cupboards where they lived.

Ideally in my opinion, you site your dishwasher near to where you store your plates and cutlery, so that you can stand beside it and reach the places you put things away easily. That's what we have in our current house. Saves time effort and breakages.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ideally in my opinion, you site your dishwasher near to where you store your plates and cutlery, so that you can stand beside it and reach the places you put things away easily. That's what we have in our current house. Saves time effort and breakages.

It depends where your kitchen is located. If our dishwasher was in the kitchen then we'd be able to hear it from the living room and dining room, so it's nicer to have it hidden away in the utility room.
  • pumpkin89 wrote: »
    It depends where your kitchen is located. If our dishwasher was in the kitchen then we'd be able to hear it from the living room and dining room, so it's nicer to have it hidden away in the utility room.

You must have a very noisy dishwasher. We have a semi open plan ground floor and can't hear it at all from the living room when the TV is on and it's barely audible when the TV is off.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You must have a very noisy dishwasher. We have a semi open plan ground floor and can't hear it at all from the living room when the TV is on and it's barely audible when the TV is off.

I've never come across a quiet dishwasher, though it's something I'll look into when ours needs replacing. My parents' is even worse, and can easily be heard through two sets of closed doors.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 3:08PM
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    I've never come across a quiet dishwasher, though it's something I'll look into when ours needs replacing. My parents' is even worse, and can easily be heard through two sets of closed doors.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

This is our second dishwasher, the one in the old house was a little nosier but not by much, you couldn't hear that from anywhere else in the house when the kitchen door was shut.

Our current dishwasher is a BOSCH SMV40C30GB
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have a pretty old AEG dishwasher in the kitchen - it's so quiet, the noisiest thing is the dishwasher tablet being ejected! Other than that there is a slight swooshing sound that cannot be heard above normal TV or conversation.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow some of you have big utility rooms. I have a small one with washer, dryer and a huge sink along with a wall cupboard, shoe cupboard and shelf. The ironing board fits behind the door. If I had more space I would add a broom cupboard. I sort my washing out upstairs on the bed.
    I wouldn't want my dishwasher in there - I would have to take the dirty washing up out from the kitchen and bring it back afterwards which would be more work.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When we were house hunting a utility room was right at the top of our 'must have' list - cat litter tray for the use of!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure