Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 142Posts
    • 89Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    What do you have in your utility?
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    What do you have in your utility? 4th Aug 18 at 11:37 AM
    We are completely remodelling our bungalow and are reviewing some initial plans from the architect. So far our plans have a nice main front entrance, through the hall etc and a 'muddy' entrance as I call it which would be a door into the utility and from there you can access the downstairs bathroom which would be a Jack and Jill type with an entrance from the utility or the main hallway and a door into the kitchen/open plan dining.

I'd planned the utility to have space for washer/dryer, a sink for more messy type things, some storage, e.g. vacuum cleaner etc, laundry. For anyone else with a utility, do you have a sink in there? Do you find a utility useful and is there anything else to include?
Page 2
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 6th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    As others have said, a big sink is incredibly useful! We have a large one with a waste disposal unit (I probably wouldn't pay for the latter, but it came with the house and is useful on occasion).

We also have the dishwasher (another noisy appliance I'd rather not have in the kitchen) and a lot of storage - both for ironing board, stepladder etc. and infrequently-used kitchen appliances like slow cookers).

We then have a separate laundry room with the washing machine, tumble dryer, airer and further storage.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 6th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    mrschaucer
    Nobody seems to have mentioned freestanding microwave ovens? We have ours in the utility room to keep our kitchen worktops free - they are fairly ugly beasts at the best of times.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 6th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Do you know? I actually forgot that we also have the CH boiler in there too! I'm beginning to realise how useful it really is as I look at the next- door toilet which only contains the basics.... maybe I could add a cupboard in there....
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 25,335 Thanks
    Slinky

One thing I am undecided on is a dishwasher area in a utility or keep that in the kitchen area.
    Originally posted by getmore4less

We changed a small utility area which had a sink in, took the sink out and used the space for a slimline dishwasher as that was the only way we could get one in without remodelling the kitchen. It was OK.... but not ideal. I used to empty the plates etc onto a tray and carry them across to the cupboards where they lived.

Ideally in my opinion, you site your dishwasher near to where you store your plates and cutlery, so that you can stand beside it and reach the places you put things away easily. That's what we have in our current house. Saves time effort and breakages.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 7th Aug 18, 2:36 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    Ideally in my opinion, you site your dishwasher near to where you store your plates and cutlery, so that you can stand beside it and reach the places you put things away easily. That's what we have in our current house. Saves time effort and breakages.
    It depends where your kitchen is located. If our dishwasher was in the kitchen then we'd be able to hear it from the living room and dining room, so it's nicer to have it hidden away in the utility room.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 2,229 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    It depends where your kitchen is located. If our dishwasher was in the kitchen then we'd be able to hear it from the living room and dining room, so it's nicer to have it hidden away in the utility room.
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    You must have a very noisy dishwasher. We have a semi open plan ground floor and can't hear it at all from the living room when the TV is on and it's barely audible when the TV is off.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 7th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    You must have a very noisy dishwasher. We have a semi open plan ground floor and can't hear it at all from the living room when the TV is on and it's barely audible when the TV is off.
    I've never come across a quiet dishwasher, though it's something I'll look into when ours needs replacing. My parents' is even worse, and can easily be heard through two sets of closed doors.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 2,229 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I've never come across a quiet dishwasher, though it's something I'll look into when ours needs replacing. My parents' is even worse, and can easily be heard through two sets of closed doors.

This is our second dishwasher, the one in the old house was a little nosier but not by much, you couldn't hear that from anywhere else in the house when the kitchen door was shut.

Our current dishwasher is a BOSCH SMV40C30GB
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 07-08-2018 at 3:08 PM.
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 7th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    ka7e
    I have a pretty old AEG dishwasher in the kitchen - it's so quiet, the noisiest thing is the dishwasher tablet being ejected! Other than that there is a slight swooshing sound that cannot be heard above normal TV or conversation.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 8th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    Wow some of you have big utility rooms. I have a small one with washer, dryer and a huge sink along with a wall cupboard, shoe cupboard and shelf. The ironing board fits behind the door. If I had more space I would add a broom cupboard. I sort my washing out upstairs on the bed.
    I wouldn't want my dishwasher in there - I would have to take the dirty washing up out from the kitchen and bring it back afterwards which would be more work.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    When we were house hunting a utility room was right at the top of our 'must have' list - cat litter tray for the use of!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 12,470 Posts
    • 8,424 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Jumping on the dishwasher issue - ours is a 13yr old Miele and it's totally quiet, the noisiest part is when the tablet is 'clicked' out into the wash and when the bleeper tells me it's finished. We have it in an island in the kitchen, next to the cupboards housing the crockery, glasses and cutlery drawers.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 25,335 Thanks
    Slinky
    Those of you with noisy dishwashers, are you sure you're not using the washing machine by mistake? ;-) Our Bosch (17 years old) you can hear about 30 seconds of it filling, some gentle swooshing, a click and clonk as the tablet drops out and a little bit of pumping out towards the end. It's the quietest appliance in the kitchen, much quieter than a kettle.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 25,335 Thanks
    Slinky
    Just remembered my SIL used to have problems with people opening the dishwasher to put things in mid-wash as they couldn't hear that it was on! It was a built in with no obvious lights on the front.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 8th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Just remembered my SIL used to have problems with people opening the dishwasher to put things in mid-wash as they couldn't hear that it was on! It was a built in with no obvious lights on the front.
    Originally posted by Slinky

That's the same as mine, it does make a noise when it's finished but if you aren't in the kitchen you don't hear it as it's not very loud.
    Have to say it does look good though.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 9th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    Those of you with noisy dishwashers, are you sure you're not using the washing machine by mistake? ;-) Our Bosch (17 years old) you can hear about 30 seconds of it filling, some gentle swooshing, a click and clonk as the tablet drops out and a little bit of pumping out towards the end. It's the quietest appliance in the kitchen, much quieter than a kettle.
    Ours is definitely noisier than that. It's becoming clear from this thread that people's expectations differ, though - when I say noisy, I mean audible - I would also describe our fridge as noisy since I can hear it.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 32,736 Posts
    • 19,701 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Traditionally your crockery/serving/silverware was stored near where you ate not in a kitchen or scullery.

combining dirty,clean food prep and cooking into a single space along with laundry is far from ideal

Many have never experienced anything different o don't know better.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 25,335 Thanks
    Slinky
    Ours is definitely noisier than that. It's becoming clear from this thread that people's expectations differ, though - when I say noisy, I mean audible - I would also describe our fridge as noisy since I can hear it.

Is your fridge banished to the utility room also then?

As a sufferer with tinnitus my brain has long since learned to tune out such minor irritations as the fridge or dishwasher.

I'm baffled how your parents' dishwasher can be heard through 2 sets of closed doors though. We only wash cutlery and crockery in ours, I can imagine that saucepans and baking trays could be noisier - is that the case?
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 10th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    Is your fridge banished to the utility room also then?

As a sufferer with tinnitus my brain has long since learned to tune out such minor irritations as the fridge or dishwasher.

I'm baffled how your parents' dishwasher can be heard through 2 sets of closed doors though. We only wash cutlery and crockery in ours, I can imagine that saucepans and baking trays could be noisier - is that the case?

No, the fridge I put up with as it's a consistent low level of noise, so easier to block out (except when it decides to refill its ice dispenser, which tends to make guests jump!)

I think saucepans do make a little more noise, but with theirs it seems to be (a) the part that spins around spurting out water - maybe it needs to be oiled or tightened, as it makes a sort of clacking sound, and (b) the inside of the dishwasher itself seems quite resonant, so it's noisy irrespective of what you put in to be washed.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 25,335 Thanks
    Slinky
    I don't think you can oil the rotating part successfully, as the oil will be washed away. You may find some success in giving it a good clean, ours was slightly noisy and also less effective at washing when some eggshell got trapped in the washing arm.

I've just remembered that we had a 'clacking noise' from ours for a while which took me a long while to discover was the washing arm hitting the dishwasher freshener where it was clipped to the bottom of the top shelf. Could this be happening?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,202Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin