Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 142Posts
    • 89Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    What do you have in your utility?
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    What do you have in your utility? 4th Aug 18 at 11:37 AM
    We are completely remodelling our bungalow and are reviewing some initial plans from the architect. So far our plans have a nice main front entrance, through the hall etc and a 'muddy' entrance as I call it which would be a door into the utility and from there you can access the downstairs bathroom which would be a Jack and Jill type with an entrance from the utility or the main hallway and a door into the kitchen/open plan dining.

I'd planned the utility to have space for washer/dryer, a sink for more messy type things, some storage, e.g. vacuum cleaner etc, laundry. For anyone else with a utility, do you have a sink in there? Do you find a utility useful and is there anything else to include?
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 32,727 Posts
    • 19,694 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    I would not want a door from kitchen/dining into a shower/toilet.
    J&J with the utility&Hall

Utility with access to outside and the kitchen space
    Boot, coat racks
    washer, dryer, laundry sink, bit of worktop space.
    consider a Victorian style airer
    extra fridge&freezer space and a decent sized walk in larder.

Consider purpose built plinths for the washer/dryer to reduce bending.

I do think we try to cram far to much stuff into kitchens.
    You can get a lot of the storage needs away from the kitchen space with a good utility/larder.

One thing I am undecided on is a dishwasher area in a utility or keep that in the kitchen area.
    With space 2 sinks one for clean/food prep one for dirty/washing up.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 4th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    mrschaucer
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    Try and make the sink as big as possible - think scrubbing oven racks etc.
    • Trixsie1989
    • By Trixsie1989 4th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    Trixsie1989
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    We are buying a house and the utility currently has the fridge and washing machine in there and that's about it. Once we are in and settled we are going to extend it out further to create more space for the dryer etc
    Debt free finally
    First house purchase ... 2018
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    Our utility room is quite big, I've got a double sink (1 1/2 bowls) with drainer. The washing machine and tumble dryer are in there.

The dishwasher is in the kitchen because it has a d!cor panel on the front that entirely covers the door. It looks the same as the other cupboards EXCEPT that the handle goes the other way lol.

We've got 3 fridge freezers (don't ask lol). The staircase is also in there plus 3 doors - backdoor, door to kitchen and door to dining room. The room is nearly as big as the kitchen
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 4th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 2,196 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 4th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    I don't have one but would want a nice deep sink in there.

I'd want a tall cupboard for things like mops and the ironing board, and some shelves deigned to fit a decent size washing basket - perhaps two spaces for things waiting to go in the wash and things waiting to be ironed. A mini washing line for odd socks awaiting their partner would be good!

I'd definitely agree with an airer (above the sink if possible, on a pulley).

Depending on how your household recycles, space for recycling might be useful.

I'd put a chest freezer in there, if I had enough space.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,088 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:08 PM

Consider purpose built plinths for the washer/dryer to reduce bending.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I wouldn't do this unless you're prepared to lift it off for the repair man.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 4th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    Forgot to say we've also got a double doored airing cupboard and a table in the middle to put the folded washing on when I take it out of the tumble drier.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 12,470 Posts
    • 8,421 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    In ours - boiler, washing machine, tumble dryer, beer fridge, huge shoe rack with welly sticks, coat hooks the length of one wall at normal and child height. Cubpoards and storage for laundry, ironing board etc. We removed our sink as it wasn't being used and I wanted a long worktop area for folding/prepping laundry. We do have a sink outside which we use for "dirty jobs" like paint brushes, welly washing etc. We have a full wall length drying area which means washing dries in no time as the boiler is in the room and it's always warm.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 12,470 Posts
    • 8,421 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    A mini washing line for odd socks awaiting their partner would be good!
    Originally posted by rach_k
    This is mine!

That white sock is my son's from UNI - I hope to never find it's other half, it's fit for the bin despite a 90 wash!
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 4th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    Thanks everyone that is really helpful and some things I've not thought of. We would have a door from outside into the utility and then a door into the downstairs bathroom and a door into the open plan kitchen and dining area. You wouldn't be able to access the downstairs bathroom/toilet directly from the kitchen/dining. You would have to go from the kitchen, back into the utility and from there. Or go back into the main hallway and access the bathroom from there.

We are looking at the Jack and Jill bathroom so you can access it from the main hall or the utility. This bathroom would be for one bedroom only and guests as the other downstairs bedroom will have an ensuite. Upstairs will be 'our' space with a bedroom, balcony, ensuite and dressing room and another room which will be as of yet undecided. Gym, study whatever.

Will definatly look at things like storage for mop and also muddy boots and a big sink too. I was adamant at a sink but the OH was not but I don't want to do messy tasks in the nice kitchen sink!
    Last edited by todayisagreatday; 04-08-2018 at 4:45 PM. Reason: Edit
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 4th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    This is mine!

That white sock is my son's from UNI - I hope to never find it's other half, it's fit for the bin despite a 90 wash!
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

I love this, where did you get it from?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 12,470 Posts
    • 8,421 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I love this, where did you get it from?
    Originally posted by todayisagreatday
    From memory it was either The Range or Trago (the former I would guess) but some years ago.

The nearest they have to it is this https://www.therange.co.uk/home-furnishings/picture-frames-and-wall-art/posters-prints-and-visual-artwork/wall-art/wooden-wall-art/llama-weekly-to-do-peg-plaque/#195638 they are so cheap but probably very easy to make or adapt if you bought that one.

There's quite a few on etsy. Ours was less than a fiver and it's a huge help when doing the laundry.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/lost_sock

Edit to add, I found it on google images.

https://www.therange.co.uk/home-furnishings/picture-frames-and-wall-art/posters-prints-and-visual-artwork/lost-socks-wall-art

A bit more than a fiver now but still does the job!
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 04-08-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 5th Aug 18, 6:55 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Love my utility room, it takes all of the stuff that I don't want stored elsewhere in the house! It is such a hard-working space although very small.
    We have wall to wall narrow cupboards with sliding doors above the freezer, sink, washing machine arrangement. I think that we adapted them from Ikea office units. They are deep enough to take those cheap plastic storage baskets and take candles, light bulbs, flower vases, shoe cleaning items, decorating bits and bobs, cleaning materials etc. In fact all of the odds and ends that I want out of sight! (An Ikea step stool provides somewhere to place the washing basket when emptying the machine and is useful for reaching the top shelves)
    An old-fashioned airing rack on the ceiling takes washing that has been brought in from outside to air off. A smaller wall- attached folding rack takes shirts on hangers which await ironing or carrying back upstairs after ironing (Also takes the peg bag and sock carousel)
    The laundry basket and a small bowl for hand washing lives on top of it.
    A single Ikea Billy unit (Ikea again!) contains my iron, starch etc. in one basket. Garden chemicals safely on the top shelf, car cleaning bits and bobs on another one, bird seed, fat balls etc in a big tub on another. The mop is clipped onto the side of the cabinet. Spare toilet rolls on the top!
    A row of coat hooks takes gardening jackets, kneelers, sun hats, back door and shed keys with the ironing board hung underneath.
    I hope this hasn't bored you but it has helped me realise how much I've crammed in to such a small space. So I can only advise that you make a list of the items that you'd like to store in there and work from that!
    Btw, I second the big sink to take paint trays, oven shelves etc. It helped me to install a smaller sink in the kitchen which gave me more workspace. HTH
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 5th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    ka7e
    I can't imagine not having a utility room! My washing machine is very quiet, but I still wouldn't want it in my kitchen. I have a deep butler's sink - for washing dogs, recycling bins, garden stuff etc. I also feed my dogs raw, so their bowls are kept separate from our washing up. Cat and dogs are fed in the utility. 2 freezers, recycling boxes, cupboards for cleaning materials, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, stepladder, buckets and bowls...all have their place.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 16,898 Posts
    • 42,667 Thanks
    elsien
    Space for the recycling bags for those who either don't have the green wheelie bins, or who don't want to traipse outside every time you get a bit of plastic. And dog food storage - I buy the 15kg bags, two at a time.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 5th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    This has made me realise we need a bigger utility so are revising our plans! Things I never thought of storing in there would be so much more useful than the kitchen. I'm more excited about a utility than any other room!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 32,727 Posts
    • 19,694 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Once you remove most of the stuff we put in kitchens that would be better elsewhere as a space to prepare and cook food it can be quite small if you add eating you need a bit more but some can be dual purpose.
    • kkgree1
    • By kkgree1 6th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    kkgree1
    We had an extension done at the end of last year and I had planned a reasonable sized utility room. However, we didn't get the space we wanted through the planners so I had to compromise and have a bigger dining room and a much smaller utility room. I am so glad we did even though the builders had a fun job getting the new back door to fit as there was only just enough room for it.

Like Eenymeeny, as long as you plan the space well you can get a lot in a small space. We have a shower room off the utility so I again compromised by not having a sink in the utility and more worktop space which I love. One large floor to ceiling cupboard for ironing board, hoover and brushes then one base unit and washing machine. Just room in the corner for wellies and recycling bin. Three wall units which house DIY, washing and general household items.

Recommend a utility room to anyone, no matter how small!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 6th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Ours is pretty small (about 8' by 6' at a guess) but has tumble dryer, washing machine, sink, combi boiler, space for under counter fridge (currently used for cat litter trays) and plenty of storage cupboards.

The sink is incredibly useful, mainly used for washing cat litter trays, recycling and paint brushes when decorating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin