Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 4th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,388Posts
    • 610Thanks
    Roger1
    Vectone / Vectone Xtra?
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    Vectone / Vectone Xtra? 4th Aug 18 at 10:18 AM
    What is MSEers' recent experience with Vectone and Vectone Xtra?

I've disregarded Vectone in the past on account of historically poor customer service (as reported at MSE), difficult to understand T+Cs and constantly changing rates.

However, in view of Three's imminent PAYG changes - in my case 1.50/minute to call Switzerland - I've been looking for an alternative. Vectone's 'half price' 7.50 bundle of unlimited UK minutes and unlimited international minutes appears unbeatable. And the Vectone Xtra app looks interesting, too.

I can't find comment on these. Can anybody report, please? Thanks.
    Last edited by Roger1; 05-08-2018 at 7:58 AM. Reason: It's Vectone Xtra, not X.
Page 1
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 5th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    Answering my own question ...

I had previously e-mailed Vectone a couple of questions. No answer yet. Traditional customer service standards retained, then.

Searching through the copious current T+Cs, I found some answers. The 'half price' 7.50 offer is only for an initial bundle, Then 15. And 'international' doesn't mean international, just a number of destinations that don't include Switzerland (my need) or mobiles. Also, calls to customer service appear to be charged, and nasty things happen after 120 days of non-use.

Using the Xtra app, there are some interesting prices - 1p/minute to UK landlines and mobiles, EU roaming mainly at 1p to landlines, various to mobiles. Calls to Swiss landlines 5p and to Swiss mobiles 35p - more than I would have liked, but better than Three's imminent 1.50/min.

Anyway, I signed up, also to the Xtra app. The latter means a second Vectone number.

In effect, this means using 2 handsets, one for Vectone and one for my existing Three number. Of course, I could transfer my Three number but I am not ready to show such confidence in Vectone.
    Last edited by Roger1; 05-08-2018 at 8:23 AM. Reason: added more info
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    I used Vectone in 2012

Call center staff very difficult to understand. But apart from that seamed ok.

What's Vectone Xtra ?
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 7th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    What's Vectone Xtra ?
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    https://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/support/cheap-calls-app

Another gem: the discounted rates depend on customers sending a monthly SMS alongside a top up payment.
    • SamDude
    • By SamDude 9th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    SamDude
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:54 PM
    Do you need to use the SIM in a handset, or can it be used via an app on my main phone (the same way FreedomPop could be)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin