Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Princessconsuela
    • By Princessconsuela 4th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Princessconsuela
    I let the bailiff in, but for an ex tenant
    • 4th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    I let the bailiff in, but for an ex tenant 4th Aug 18 at 9:56 AM
    So basically I was woke up about half an hour ago by someone for my ex tenant, we thought we had dealt with this as we had previously rang them, sent our tenancy to prove he doesnít live here anymore, theyíd been round before and my partner showed them ID and they went but a company who the ex tenant has debt with (speeding tickets etc) sent someone round AGAIN I showed them my id and explained everything but he asked if he could come in, only if he couldnít they could get a locksmith next time and baby brain here thought oh if it proves anything then why not, but now Iíve read that now they can come in and heís give me bull, I mean he was fine and asked if my landlord could give him the new address for the tenant but now Iím worried because Iíve granted forced entry next time if there is a next time. (He knew I was pregnant and was sorry to put stress on me)
Page 1
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 4th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 3,455 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    So basically I was woke up about half an hour ago by someone for my ex tenant, we thought we had dealt with this as we had previously rang them, sent our tenancy to prove he doesnít live here anymore, theyíd been round before and my partner showed them ID and they went but a company who the ex tenant has debt with (speeding tickets etc) sent someone round AGAIN I showed them my id and explained everything but he asked if he could come in, only if he couldnít they could get a locksmith next time and baby brain here thought oh if it proves anything then why not, but now Iíve read that now they can come in and heís give me bull, I mean he was fine and asked if my landlord could give him the new address for the tenant but now Iím worried because Iíve granted forced entry next time if there is a next time. (He knew I was pregnant and was sorry to put stress on me)
    Originally posted by Princessconsuela
    I think Iíd be calling the police in your position, if they ever return.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 4th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    What reason did he give to come in?
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 15,506 Posts
    • 14,592 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    Hi,

Calling the police is a knee jerk reaction when your upset.

All the police can do is make sure there is no breach of the peace.

Unfortunately the chap was telling you porkies, forced entry, using a locksmith, can only be made if they are chasing :
    • unpaid magistrates court fines, for example if you were given a fine for not paying your TV license
    • tax debts for HM Revenue and Customs.
    If the bailiff is collecting any other kind of debt they aren't allowed to force entry. This includes if they're collecting:
    • council tax arrears
    • credit card or catalogue debts
    • unpaid parking tickets
    • money you owe to energy or phone companies
    You have the right to keep them outside and talk through the closed door.

However, its not you they are after, and you are not liable for another persons debt.

You should write to the court, and the bailiff company, make a complaint stating the person they want no longer lives at this address, and that the bailiff entered your property under false pretenses, anything of this nature should be dealt with in writing only, never allow a bailiff access to your home.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Princessconsuela
    • By Princessconsuela 4th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Princessconsuela
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    So he can send information back/prove we werent the ex tenant
    • Princessconsuela
    • By Princessconsuela 4th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Princessconsuela
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    Thank you so much, I did send a complaint but it was more about harrassing us but I will get both done, this puts my mind at rest.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 5th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 3,455 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    Calling the police is a knee jerk reaction when your upset.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    It would be a knee jerk reaction to upset if the bailiff was calling legitimately & had business with the OP.
    In this case an unknown stranger is harassing the OP and trying to gain/force entry in their home.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    In this case an unknown stranger is harassing the OP and trying to gain/force entry in their home.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Hardly, I am sure that the bailiff had ID.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 15,506 Posts
    • 14,592 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    It would be a knee jerk reaction to upset if the bailiff was calling legitimately & had business with the OP.
    Originally posted by Kim kim

My point was, that the police cannot interfere in matters when a properly certified bailiff is attempting to execute a warrant ordered by a court.

Bailiffs do not try and break in, that is illegal, and they can be arrested for it, they know there powers, and some do try to exaggerate them somewhat, but not to the point of breaking and entering.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,244Posts Today

9,507Users online

Martin's Twitter