Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 3rd Aug 18, 4:30 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Plantation7
    Civil Service Tests?
    • 3rd Aug 18, 4:30 PM
    Civil Service Tests? 3rd Aug 18 at 4:30 PM
    I recently failed the Online Assessment for the Civil Service, it was the Numerical Test.
    The last time i worked for them was when they had the old test centre version before it moved online.
    Does anybody have advice on these new tests, to be honest i have a mixed record with employment assessments however, i do have Functional Maths Qualifications to Level-3 which i was told would help with these tests.
    This is the first time i have attempted this test so i will be looking to have another go, i thought it seemed quite straight forward with converting currency and percentages and multiple choice etc but i can't believe I've failed.
    Don't Trust Anybody!
Page 1
    • Smellyonion
    • By Smellyonion 3rd Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Smellyonion
    • 3rd Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    Their pass benchmark changes on a whim. Its decided by how many applicant's they receive.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 4th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 10,721 Posts
    • 20,344 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:22 PM
    I failed the test for a grad job, I am severely dyscalculic and so did not have a hope in hell.
    My ex did the same test for the same position- his was an internal promotion though as he has worked for them for years- he is decent at Maths, he studied computer science at uni and he said he only just scraped through.
    Not sure about the pass mark but it seems like it is almost impossible!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and W101.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,976 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    I recently failed the Online Assessment for the Civil Service, it was the Numerical Test.
    The last time i worked for them was when they had the old test centre version before it moved online.
    Does anybody have advice on these new tests, to be honest i have a mixed record with employment assessments however, i do have Functional Maths Qualifications to Level-3 which i was told would help with these tests.
    This is the first time i have attempted this test so i will be looking to have another go, i thought it seemed quite straight forward with converting currency and percentages and multiple choice etc but i can't believe I've failed.
    Originally posted by Plantation7
    Are you sure? I thought the levels were -

Entry Level 1,2 and 3
    Level 1
    Level 2
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    he is decent at Maths, he studied computer science at uni and he said he only just scraped through.
    Not sure about the pass mark but it seems like it is almost impossible!
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Quite clearly not decent at maths. I'm a truck driver and I got 100% in the last civil service maths test I did a couple of years ago. There's nothing that is rocket science in the test and if someone who did their O levels over 30 years ago and has spent quarter of a century driving trucks can get 100% pass then surely someone who has done a degree which requires maths can easily pass too?
    • Smellyonion
    • By Smellyonion 8th Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Smellyonion
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    Quite clearly not decent at maths. I'm a truck driver and I got 100% in the last civil service maths test I did a couple of years ago. There's nothing that is rocket science in the test and if someone who did their O levels over 30 years ago and has spent quarter of a century driving trucks can get 100% pass then surely someone who has done a degree which requires maths can easily pass too?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    What was the level of role that you applied for? The poster was applying for grad job which most likely had a greater difficulty test or a higher benchmark due to the amount of candidates than the test you did. If you spent 25 years driving trucks, I cant imagine that it would have been the grad test.Dont make assumptions about others.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    I believe the complexity of the test is dependant on the role, department and level of the job and as already stated the pass mark is also dependant on the amount of applications received.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 8th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    Ps...

Functional Skills only exists at Entry L1, 2 and 3 and then L1 & 2.

Level 3 (which is the equivalent to A-Level) is not a level for Funcfional Skills.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,438Posts Today

6,934Users online

Martin's Twitter