Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 3rd Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 195Thanks
    oozle1989
    Is this classed as invasion of privacy?
    • 3rd Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    Is this classed as invasion of privacy? 3rd Aug 18 at 2:52 PM
    We have a family living next door to us with two young kids, a boy aged around 10 and a girl aged around 4/5 ish. They have a trampoline at the end of their garden and quite often stand on it and peer into our garden, the boy more so than the girl. We have patio doors from our lounge to the garden so they can also see into our house. A couple of weeks ago the boy was stood on the trampoline and just kept looking at us whilst we were sat in our lounge. Another time he was stood on the top of a climbing frame and was staring into the kitchen when I was sat at the table.

I appreciate kids will be kids, but I just find it a bit weird. I read an article a few months back about how people peering over the fence and into your garden/house can be classed as invasion of privacy, but I wasnít sure how much weight the article carried. I'm hoping the boy will grow out of it soon anyway but I would just like to be aware of the laws should the issue persist or become worst.
Page 3
  • archived user
    Is it worth falling out with the neighbour over?
    • chesky
    • By chesky 4th Aug 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    chesky
    It's the summer holidays. The boy is probably bored if all he's got to do is look at you. Personally, I'd rather get on with my neighbours even if they're not my cup of tea, so I'd think very carefully before 'having a word' with their mum - a lot of mothers can get a bit cross when their children are criticised. And do you speak to your neighbour? It might be better to get to know her before you start complaining about her kids. She's a single parent with two kids, perhaps she'd enjoy a chat.

I love my next door neighbour - he's great. But we never have chats over the garden fence, as I've got climbing roses and he's got honeysuckle. Can't even see each other.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Aug 18, 7:05 AM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,144 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You'll never get permission for a gun turret, so maybe some well placed trellis and something to hang from it will do in the meantime.

It is mind-blowingly annoying how many parents put climbing frames and trampolines as far away from themselves as possible... preferring, instead, to have neighbours bothered by their cherubs and assorted nonsenses as the kids think "mum/dad can't see what I do here as I'm far away".

It's possible the OP has their own issues, e.g. some people on the ASD spectrum "don't like being looked at". I'm one of them. They don't know how to interact/respond to the unexpected .... and/or children ... "have a chat..." isn't any good. "I just want the s0ds gone" is what they want.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 04-08-2018 at 7:07 AM.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 4th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    He's a child, he is intrigued. You are probably grown ups who look like they are doing big important grown up things and he wonders what they are! Personally I would give him a little friendly wave whilst chuckling to myself that I was so interesting to him and then close the curtains if I was doing something I didn't want him to see!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 5th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 5,638 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I think if you are 10 the neighbours probably are quite interesting. But he probably hasn't made the connection that he can be seen by you. Compounded by him not being acknowledged.

I personally don't think it's bad parenting. Your house is like a whole other world. Not unlike adults watching a soap opera.

Agree with - If you give him a wave he will be likely to stop.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 5th Aug 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    rach_k
    How far away from your window is the trampoline? Are the children actively looking with heads following your movements etc?

I often sit by the window, looking out. Most of the time I'm not actually focusing on anything, I tend to daydream a bit, but I suppose the neighbours across the road might think I'm looking in their bedroom window (I'd guess they're only around 15m away). I try to direct my gormless stare towards the park instead but a daydreaming 10 year old probably wouldn't think to bother. Unless you're doing something particularly interesting, I think it's probably more likely he's just daydreaming with his face pointed towards you.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 5th Aug 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    It's not something to fall out over TBH, I'd just ignore it and get on with your life. If you do happen to make eye contact given him a smile, costs nothing.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Aug 18, 11:04 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 3,304 Thanks
    Robisere
    Stare back, pull faces.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The boy could have a medical condition that you are unaware of that causes him to fixate on certain things.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Well thatís ok then :|
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 8th Aug 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 7,153 Thanks
    ska lover
    When me and my brother were about five and six, our neighbour ''caught'' us fleetingly looking over the fence whilst on a swing. (like a literal glace as the swing went up) and the neighbour got so upset about it and threatened to bash us with a yard brush...her OTT reaction caused us to turn it into a bit of a game of DELIBERATELY staring in...which went on for a long time..until we grew out of it

Horrible kids I know..

My point is, if you say something to the kids, you could end up with them making a game of it.

I dont know the answer though
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    What do you want to achieve? You want them prosecuted? They're kids FFS. Could understand if it was the parents!
    Originally posted by _shel
    Criminals use children to do their 'spying' for them, if they want to size up a place, because it doesn't look suspicious. People will think they're 'just kids'
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 9th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    steph2901
    I'd put higher fence or trellis and tall plants there.

I've got a similar issue with kids, we've recently moved and the neighbours kids play outside the house at the front but are always outside my house and often outside my kitchen window, it's really annoying! So I'm going to put fence up between our houses to stop them coming into my garden and messing my gravel up
    • DrivingMissDaisy
    • By DrivingMissDaisy 9th Aug 18, 9:30 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    DrivingMissDaisy
    How about putting up a sign saying staring not welcome
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

3,223Users online

Martin's Twitter