Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyteddy
    • By pollyteddy 3rd Aug 18, 7:56 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pollyteddy
    Disability Car benefits
    • 3rd Aug 18, 7:56 AM
    Disability Car benefits 3rd Aug 18 at 7:56 AM
    I'm trying to find out if my mum can have a disabled car. My step-father who doesn't live with her but cares for her needs an adaptive car as he's 81 and struggling. Mum is on attendance allowance, wheelchair bound and shes 71. I'm going round in circles trying to find out if she could be eligible to join the motability scheme for example as they only talk about DLA and PIP which are not relevant to her. Anyone have any advice please? thank you
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 22,910 Posts
    • 57,494 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/who-can-join/

^^ Motability's eligibility checker. But on initial glance, I'd say no, as Attendance Allowance is not an eligible benefit.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 3rd Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 14,517 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    Even if she did qualify it would be for her, not for your step father, and he would not be able to use it to care for her...
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    Attendance Allowance doesn!!!8217;t have the mobility part lime DLA and PIP does, so no she doesn!!!8217;t qualify.
    • kaya
    • By kaya 3rd Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    kaya
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:35 AM
    she would need the higher mobility rate of PIPP or the old dla to be accepted onto the scheme
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 3rd Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 6,055 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    If I'm reading this correctly does it mean that somebody who only becomes disabled after age 65 can't qualify for a mobility vehicle?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 22,910 Posts
    • 57,494 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    If I'm reading this correctly does it mean that somebody who only becomes disabled after age 65 can't qualify for a mobility vehicle?
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I think that's correct.
    Although I'd say it should be at least 67, given the increased state pension age now ...
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 3rd Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 14,517 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    There is a general expected lack of mobility after a certain age (don't tell my Mum) so yes, mobility elements stop being relevant. There are many non disabled elderly people who would struggle with a lot of the mobility descriptors.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 3rd Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 6,055 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 3rd Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    I think that's correct.
    Although I'd say it should be at least 67, given the increased state pension age now ...
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie

Of course. As I've already retired I'd forgot about the increased age.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 3rd Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    calcotti
    Of course. As I've already retired I'd forgot about the increased age.
    But the age between PIP and AA remains 65 so in terms of qualifying for Motability vehicle the cut off for qualifying for the first time remains 65.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 4th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 8,603 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Would I be correct in thinking that if someone already qualifies, for a motability car - through either DLA or PIP at the point of reaching 65 - then the vehicle will not be taken off them - they continue to qualify ?
    How long for ?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 4th Aug 18, 3:47 PM
    • 22,910 Posts
    • 57,494 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    But the age between PIP and AA remains 65 so in terms of qualifying for Motability vehicle the cut off for qualifying for the first time remains 65.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    I think that's what I meant - that the cut-off between benefits doesn't reflect changes in state pension age. But I've just looked and it hasn't changed yet, first change (to 66y) is in two years' time. So there is still an opportunity for the government to demonstrate joined up thinking ...
    Mrs Marleyboy

• antrobus
    • By antrobus 4th Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 16,127 Posts
    • 22,963 Thanks
    antrobus
    To join the Motability Scheme, you must be in receipt of one of the following allowances:

Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    War Pensioners!!!8217; Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
    Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).

You will need to have at least 12 months remaining on your allowance when you apply.

https://www.motability.co.uk/contact-and-support/faqs/am-i-eligible-to-join-the-motability-scheme

For both DLA and PIP, there has always been an upper age limit for new claims. People can continue to get DLA or PIP beyond the age of 65, if they continue to satisfy the relevant disability tests, but new claims must have been made before the person!!!8217;s 65th birthday.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN07160
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 4th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    calcotti
    So there is still an opportunity for the government to demonstrate joined up thinking ...
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Mind the flying pigs!
    Good point though - will be interesting to see if the PIP/AA age does increase.
    • pollyteddy
    • By pollyteddy 7th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pollyteddy
    Thank you to everyone for responding
    Hi everyone, sorry for not responding sooner I have been away with no internet access. Well it looks like Mum wont be eligible, which is a real shame. So back to the drawing board I think. Your help has been really appreciated, thank you, Julia
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Aug 18, 3:15 PM
    • 22,558 Posts
    • 11,175 Thanks
    lisyloo
    There is a general expected lack of mobility after a certain age (don't tell my Mum) so yes, mobility elements stop being relevant. There are many non disabled elderly people who would struggle with a lot of the mobility descriptors.
    Originally posted by marliepanda

I think there is also an expectation the mobility is to help people get to work.
    • sparry951
    • By sparry951 12th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sparry951
    My grandad continued to have a motability car until he died at nearly 82. They also allowed my mum to keep it for 6 weeks after his death before they wanted it back
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Aug 18, 10:48 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    calcotti
    My grandad continued to have a motability car until he died at nearly 82. They also allowed my mum to keep it for 6 weeks after his death before they wanted it back
    Originally posted by sparry951
    If he was in receipt of DLA or PIP before becoming 65 that would have continued and would have enabled him to have a motability car. For people who are over 65 they cannot claim PIP (DLA has disappeared) and have to claim Attendance Allowance. However AA does not have a mobility part and does not give access to the motability scheme.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin