Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dragonfly1
    • By Dragonfly1 3rd Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    • 78Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Dragonfly1
    Tapped In and straight out on Oyster - ? Refund
    • 3rd Aug 18, 7:20 AM
    Tapped In and straight out on Oyster - ? Refund 3rd Aug 18 at 7:20 AM
    I accidentally tapped in with my Oyster at a ticket barrier in a main zone 2 overground station. I immediately went to the member of staff who confirmed I could tap back out and would receive a fare refund within 24 hours. The staff member knew I was going off to buy a train ticket and use this instead (it's cheaper to use a train ticket with a national Railcard on peak afternoon times then Oyster weirdly.)

After reading the TFL website since, it seems if you don't make another Oyster journey within 45 minutes, the maximum fare applies.

So I've paid twice for the journey? Except the maximum Oyster fare was far more expensive than the single journey anyway! So I've paid 3x normal cost.

I'll phone TFL up later but have I understood their policy right and are they likely to be lenient as their staff told me I would get a full refund! Tap in/out was in a 1 minute period.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Dragonfly1; 03-08-2018 at 7:27 AM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 21,178 Posts
    • 16,995 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    I did this once and got the charge back, but I think I had to contact TfL for them to sort it out. Is your Oyster card registered? If so the first thing to do would be check your account to see if the refund has happened automatically, and if it hasn't email or call them and I'd expect them to resolve it pretty quickly.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    TFL is an evil money making machine created through its abusive monopoly.

I think I!!!8217;m correct in saying that TFL have gone on record as saying it makes it as hard as possible for people to claim refunds. Didn!!!8217;t it just recently refuse to answer questions regarding the 400? Million it!!!8217;s sitting on from unused oystercards?

Anyway back to your point... it!!!8217;s very hit and miss with regards refunds. It mostly happens when a train is cancelled or with signal failures a real TFL cash cow.
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 7th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    I cannot say that I share MR_Singleton's experience. I one tapped out on a pink Oyster validator, not realising that this doesn't work (I had tapped in OK on it earlier.) When I called TfL they paid the refund direct to my bank account. On another occasion a refund was applied as a credit to my Oyster account, and I then had to activate it on-line, and it was applied when I tapped in on a subsequent journey.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 7th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    I think Mr-Singleton is poorly disposed towards TFL. It is one of his favourite ranting topics.
    I've always found their performance surrounding Oyster/Contactless Cards to be first class.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 7th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    TFL is an evil money making machine created through its abusive monopoly.

I think I!!!8217;m correct in saying that TFL have gone on record as saying it makes it as hard as possible for people to claim refunds. Didn!!!8217;t it just recently refuse to answer questions regarding the 400? Million it!!!8217;s sitting on from unused oystercards?

Anyway back to your point... it!!!8217;s very hit and miss with regards refunds. It mostly happens when a train is cancelled or with signal failures a real TFL cash cow.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton

And do you have any suggestions how TfL can try and refund money on old unregistered oyster cards purchased by tourists from overseas or by folk who rarely travel to London?

How about refunding for all those lost oyster cards, dropped by folk on the tube by mistake, or dropped behind a radiator at home etc?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

4,108Users online

Martin's Twitter