Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 2nd Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3,230Posts
    • 526Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    eBay offer - can we discuss?
    • 2nd Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    eBay offer - can we discuss? 2nd Aug 18 at 11:29 PM
    eBay seems to have put in the make an offer feature on my listings. Very nice.

I have an offer from someone with a rating of 1 from back in 2016. It's at a price i would accept however the item is collection only and i would've thought a little discussion beforehand about where i'm located, when they may like to pick up so on & so forth would be a good idea, no?

I went to click accept but then the next page says i then have to agree to sell at that price (no problem) and all the buyers conditions.

I want to contact the one who made the offer to check that they're happy to come and collect etc but there seems to be no option to do that.

Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Aug 18, 2:21 AM
    • 27,754 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Aug 18, 2:21 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 2:21 AM
    You accept the offer then they can ask for the location. If they ask before then dont cry when your restricted.

Accept ot reject the offer.

Can a seller reject an offer and add a note? Reject it and add 50p onto the price with a note saying its collection only at your original offer.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 6,569 Thanks
    janb5
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    I have often sold items for collection only which I have put in the header and the district.

I also tick the box which says cash on collection so the buyer can pay by cash but it still has a Paypal default.

I dont like the ` make an offer`add on and will delete if if I see it.

Providing your messages make it crystal clear that you are not selling outside Ebay then there will not be a problem. Ebay read the messages for any dodgy ones so you can be quite pointed that you will not accept a lower price for a cash sale.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Aug 18, 2:30 PM
    • 60,930 Posts
    • 43,497 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:30 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:30 PM
    I have often sold items for collection only which I have put in the header and the district.

I also tick the box which says cash on collection so the buyer can pay by cash but it still has a Paypal default.

I dont like the ` make an offer`add on and will delete if if I see it.

Providing your messages make it crystal clear that you are not selling outside Ebay then there will not be a problem. Ebay read the messages for any dodgy ones so you can be quite pointed that you will not accept a lower price for a cash sale.
    Originally posted by janb5
    It is likely a bot reads the messages to pick up on certain words, my warning was for a sale that was definitely not off eBay, but the bot picked up on buyer trying to get my address for collection.

It is near impossible to share an address or any other contact details now via eBay messages. however, and this is a big However ....business sellers have their details on each listing and there should be enough there for any buyer with common sense to contact them without going through eBay. Obviously that doesn't work for private sellers.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 27,754 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    As above ebay do not have a building full of people reading your messages.

They have alogorithms that search messages for contact details. Trigger than and the system automatically flags you. No humans involved.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 8th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    If it's any help I had an eBay "update" recently that said sellers of collection only items can put their post code in the location box.

I assumed at the time that they have finally sussed how much money they must be losing.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    If it's any help I had an eBay "update" recently that said sellers of collection only items can put their post code in the location box.

I assumed at the time that they have finally sussed how much money they must be losing.
    Originally posted by Pierre De Grenoble
    I've always put the post code in the location, oddly it appears in some listings as the actual post code and others as "from the UK" (or next local town about 20 miles away). There doesn't seem to be a standard.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 2:34 AM
    • 27,754 Posts
    • 11,253 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:34 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:34 AM
    I've always put the post code in the location, oddly it appears in some listings as the actual post code and others as "from the UK" (or next local town about 20 miles away). There doesn't seem to be a standard.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

Probably why Kidderminster is within 5 miles of me instead of being more like 45 miles in reality.

Maybe ebay know a shortcut?

• janb5
    • By janb5 10th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 6,569 Thanks
    janb5
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    As above ebay do not have a building full of people reading your messages.

They have alogorithms that search messages for contact details. Trigger than and the system automatically flags you. No humans involved.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Whoops..you`re entirely right! Thank you!

I always tick the box `cash on collection` and I have never been challenged for putting my location although I don`t give the address until after the auction is over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

7,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• Follow Martin