Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Qrbrrbl
    • By Qrbrrbl 2nd Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Qrbrrbl
    PCP, deposit and personal loans
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:08 PM
    PCP, deposit and personal loans 2nd Aug 18 at 10:08 PM
    Hypothetical question:

Say I want to purchase a car (new or used, doesn't matter for the question) at a value of 25k, which has a GMFV of 10k after 3 years. A PCP deal would give me 9%APR over the term, whereas a personal loan can give me 2.5%APR over the same term. I have no cash funds of my own to serve as a deposit.

Would it be possible, preferable, advantageous to take out a personal loan of 14k on 2.5%APR to use on a deposit, leaving just 1k on the PCP rate of 9%APR, rather than the full 15k on the PCP rate of 9%? Combined monthly payments of the two would potentially be lower than a pure PCP on 9% wouldn't they?

Assuming excellent credit history, would you even be able to get a personal loan for this?

Not asking about the relative (dis)advantages of PCP or anything like that, just interested in the hypothetical of trying to optimise a PCP deal.
Page 2
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 10,477 Posts
    • 10,632 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Other than not having the option to buy are there any other disadvantages of lease over PCP?
    Originally posted by Qrbrrbl
    This is pretty comprehensive: https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/tips-advice/pcp-versus-leasing-which-should-you-choose/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin