Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 2nd Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 280Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Smb3088
    Uni books for course
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    Uni books for course 2nd Aug 18 at 9:31 PM
    Himall,Iíve been given recommended reading books needed for my course starting in September. Looking up the books Iím shocked to see some +£100.
    Stupid question so please forgive me. But if Iíve been recommended for example 7 th edition of a book and I find a 6 or 5 th edition of that book for a quarter of the price do you think I could get away with purchasing the lesser edition ? I know itís a silly question but could anyone give some advice about how drastically editions differ?
Page 1
    • omgaechylus
    • By omgaechylus 2nd Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    omgaechylus
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:49 PM
    It really depends on the book. For some books, you could basically use any version and be fine. For others you will need the one specified for your course as other versions might be out of date or not contain something you need.
    Campus bookshops sometimes do second hand books slightly cheaper but if it's a core text there might be a rush on copies. Amazon and ebay might also have second hand ones.

One thing that might be helpful is finding facebook groups or try TheStudentRoom forum to ask others who have done the same modules last year - they'll be able to tell you if its important to have a specific edition and might be looking to sell their copy from last year (or know someone who is...)
    • _shel
    • By _shel 3rd Aug 18, 1:19 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 2,196 Thanks
    _shel
    • 3rd Aug 18, 1:19 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 1:19 AM
    Depends on what you're studying? Some fields are fast moving with changes and updates to Law and/or scientific research etc frequently.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 3rd Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 3rd Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    Atlas of Anatomy by Gilroy 3rd edition.
    Underwoods Pathology: a Clinical Approach, 7th Edition
    Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology, 11th Edition by Martini, Nath & Bartholomew

Thank you all. I am studying Osteopathy. I have found all the books mentioned above in 6th edition for the second one and 9th edition for the third book. I will try ask the group if they can recommend if the edition is important. I saw one student selling an older edition on Facebook , so hopefully it is not mandatory to have the most dated edition. They are so expensive, even the second hand ones
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 3rd Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 3rd Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    It's worth checking the Uni library before you buy any books. The students in the year above may be selling their copies off too, so I wouldn't buy any just yet.

Anatomy doesn't change by the way but the new editions may have added extras or a different layout. I'd wait and take a look in the library to see what's in the new editions. If it's the same as the old ones, you could get away with not forking out for the new ones.
    • t_savez
    • By t_savez 4th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    t_savez
    • 4th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    New editions are usually made to make more money or with interactive features online, you should be fine with editions older by 3 or less.

Been at Uni 5 years in a range of disciplines.
    • jyeom12
    • By jyeom12 12th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    jyeom12
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    Atlas of Anatomy by Gilroy 3rd edition.
    Underwoods Pathology: a Clinical Approach, 7th Edition
    Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology, 11th Edition by Martini, Nath & Bartholomew
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    To be entirely honestly, anatomy really hasn't changed much in the near-present. I'm a current undergrad, and still use some fairly retro anatomy/physiology textbooks - differences are generally in terms of layout/editorial, and less to do with the actual content.

That being said, your uni library will most likely have scores of copies of each of these textbooks, so I'd recommend holding fire on actually purchasing any of them, see what's in the library, and then work out if there's any you'd like/need to buy.

The other thing that's worth noting is that most uni courses will have a course facebook group or something, and inevitably in Sept/Oct time, some of the final years/recent graduands will be trying to flog their old textbooks, usually at a bargain price!

Hope this helps!
    Perpetually unlucky trainee money saver
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 7,956 Posts
    • 23,915 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    It won't actually hurt to email your course tutor and ask, in case your subject (& their teaching) does include "and now turn to page 44".
    Some tutors will be a but impatient, but most will understand money is finite & you need reassurance - while they in turn are reassured you intend to get the right books!

If that all seems too hair-raising, definitely contact the library & ask. They usually both know the course, & the essential books & can clue you in ahead of time as to how the loan system works - some books you can borrow for only a few hours, others for your whole course - within reason!

Best of luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

9,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin