Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samson164
    • By samson164 2nd Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    samson164
    NHS Band 3 - Am I being ripped off?
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    NHS Band 3 - Am I being ripped off? 2nd Aug 18 at 3:55 PM
    I feel my local dentist is accepting NHS patients just to throw them in NHS Band 3 while making sure it's for as little work as possible. Is this a thing?

I visited this clinic for the first time in 7-8 years. I had a few complaints with my teeth, however, the dentist seems reluctant to provide an X-Ray. He visibly looked in my mouth, with no tools, for 15 seconds, then advised that I would need an veneer for one of my front teeth.

I explained that I had issues with my other teeth as they had cracks in them and they were sensitive when I ate. He told me "I'm not going to do any work if you don't need any work done". This just seemed really odd to me. The idea of my visit was to: have X-Rays, find out everything I needed doing, forming a plan of treatment, then having it all done as soon as possible. I was not offered a scale and polish, x-ray, nothing.

The dentist seems more concerned in having me pay 256.50 for this veneer up front, then discussing treatment options afterwards. Why is this? This has NEVER been the case before. I finally convinced him to provide me an X-Ray, but I didn't get a print-out to anything.

Do they save money for doing fewer treatments within an NHS band?

I just have a horrible feeling im being taken advantage of here, but I wanted to check first because there might be a reason that I am overlooking!

Thank you
Page 2
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 8th Aug 18, 11:29 AM
    • 8,957 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    I have emailed them a few times now, but I'm not getting any response. It's been well over a week.

I contacted NHS England and they advised me that they will contact them on my behalf as a first step.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    Originally posted by samson164
    That's good - at least you gave them a chance!
    Last edited by Toothsmith; 08-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I have emailed them a few times now, but I'm not getting any response. It's been well over a week.
    Originally posted by samson164
    Now there's a surprise..

Yes get on to the relevant authorities. Hopefully they've (no pun intended) got some teeth and can take action on your behalf. Might affect their star ratings, or whatever dentists get these days.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

575Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter