Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 2nd Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 166Posts
    • 330Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    From depression and debt to happiness and control
    • 2nd Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    From depression and debt to happiness and control 2nd Aug 18 at 10:35 AM
    I've started a shiny new diary. The old one started off very negative really and I also ended up with a couple of large bills to pay that I ended up putting some on the CC and using the rest of my expendable income for the month.

Goal
    Be debt free by Christmas 2020!

This is very ambitious but would put me in really good stead for trying for a baby in 2021

Steps I've taken so far

I decided to do a money transfer to my bank account to pay off my overdraft. I could then downgrade my account to a standard reward one which pays me 2 a month rather than costing me 15. It cost me a 10 fee but it seemed worth it as in a month I'll have made that and more back.

I've done a BT to a new card which gave me a really long 0% period (35 months) with a 0.5% fee so my current debt situation is as follows;

CC1 - 7,043.33
    CC2 - 2,025.75
    Loan - 5,489.20
    Total 14,558.28

Plan is to pay minimums on CC1 and focus on CC2 to get rid of that as soon as possible.

Minimum payment for CC1 is 2.25% apposed to the 1% it was previously which I'm pleases about as it will mean I'm actually making a bit of a dent in the balance.

I've budgeted 30 for week to go into my Monzo account to use for everyday spends and I'm putting a little aside for savings.

I'll be setting myself challenges of not spending on food/clothes/toiletries which will hopefully help me throw more at the debt.

I don't have a huge amount of disposable income as half of my salary gets paid into our joint account. Our joint finances are fine, we have healthy savings but we could do even better so I'm going to try in that respect too.

Lets slay this debt!
Page 1
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 3rd Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    So yesterday was a no spend day!

Monzo top up has gone in but I'll need to take out 10 for a deposit for our works xmas do.

I sold one of my larger items on eBay after the extortionate fees and postage I was left with 111.75 to pay off the card. I've paid this off already as I don't trust myself to leave it in my PayPal account.

I've brought my lunch to work today and plan on yet another NSD!
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 3rd Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    Thought I'd update my totals

My BT fee interest has been refunded and with the paypal payment and my latest loan payment things are already starting to look a little better.

CC1 - 6,994.44
    CC2 - 1,923.05
    Loan - 5,269.62
    Total 14,187.11

I'm sure I'll be able to get that figure to under 14k before the end of the month!
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 3rd Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    pidge04
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    That will be an important milestone! Good luck with everything!
    CC1 2400/599 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/448 LOAN 13,000/5462
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 3rd Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    • 3rd Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    Wishing you luck on your journey.

What an amazing achievement it will be if you can get that figure under 14,000 by the end of the month-fingers crossed for you! That feeling of achievement will stand you in good sted for the rest of your debt free mission.

Good luck-you can do it!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 3rd Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    • 3rd Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    Good luck on your journey, my first port of call would be do an SOA

Next thing get signed up with topcashback.

Next thing have a read of this

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money/
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 71.58 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 391.20
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 56,138 Posts
    • 226,829 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    You can do it
    Great start!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 4th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    Well done so far! Sounds like you have a solid plan in place awesome reduction already! Don't get disheartened if it slows down a bit (you'll run out of things to sell - I know I did!)
    Total Debt : 625 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 17.3kg / 45kg
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 6th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    Well I had a no spend weekend on a personal level. We had our usual Saturday night takeaway and a bottle of wine that came out of the joint account.

Paid for my monthly train pass this morning out of my Monzo travel pot! I love Monzo

Had a small work expenses claim paid back and had a bit of cash to pay back in Quidco. That's 13 going into back into the account.

Realised my car's MOT is due early September and there is definitely a couple of things I think it will fail on.

Going to hold off paying any further cash off the CC for the moment. I want to have a buffer so I don't have to put car repairs on the CC.

Fingers crossed it will pass and I can just pay that off but I'm preparing for the worst!
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    Had such a busy couple of days.

I ended up eating lunch out yesterday and will need to again today

I really need to get organised and prep up a couple of lunches for the next two days. This isn't doing the budget or my waistline any good!

We have resisted takeaways for the last two nights, even though we have both come home from work shattered!

Just messaged OH and reminded him to get some meat out of the freezer for tea tonight and tomorrow night. I'll tell him to get some chicken out that can have for our lunches.
    • By moneycantbuyyouhappiness 9th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    moneycantbuyyouhappiness
    I'm so fed up today.

Work is getting super busy

I think realistically the car is going to need 150-200 of work to get through the MOT.

Was due to have my hair cut and coloured next weekend but I've had to postpone until after payday because I just don't have the money at the moment. I would have just put it on CC and not batted an eyelid before and whilst I'm happy that I don't want to do that anymore but by the same token I fell frumpy and fat and could really do with the confidence boost.

OH is being about as useful as a chocolate fire guard with the wedding planning and is leaving the majority of the stuff to me!

After my lunches out, my Christmas do deposit and paying for my Avon I have grand total of 2.87 left in my Monzo pot. I'll pop that over to my savings so I'm not tempted to roll it into next weeks allowance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin