Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 1st Aug 18, 11:46 PM
    • 932Posts
    • 571Thanks
    Citygirl1
    Containers for batch cooking and freezing
    • 1st Aug 18, 11:46 PM
    Containers for batch cooking and freezing 1st Aug 18 at 11:46 PM
    Just wondering, which type of containers do you use for batch cooking and freezing portions? I have always used the Tupperware type ones but my friend uses the foil ones, they are OK as you can throw them away but you can't put them in the microwave so you would still need to transfer the food into a Tupperware container to heat it up in the microwave.
Page 2
    • muvvahen
    • By muvvahen 7th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    muvvahen
    If I just want to store a tiny portion of something in the freezer, I use little lidded plastic tubs that originally had ice-cream sundaes in them. They come in a four pack from A*di and we have two sets that have lasted probably two years or more (shows how often we treat ourselves to naughty puds).

What do I put in them?
    - HM garlic butter
    - leftover coconut milk from a large can
    - chopped herbs
    - chopped fresh ginger
    - chopped fresh chillis
    - also 'Choppards'... a strange concoction which I'm sure has a proper name, but we use it as a base for pasta sauce, curries, etc. We root through the bottom drawer of the fridge periodically to find slightly bendy carrots, celery, peppers, courgette... peel and roughly chop them along with an equal quantity of onions, then whizz them to a fine kind of 'crumble' in the small bowl of the food processor. Sometimes I add fresh chillies and/or ginger to the mix, just depends on what's lurking... One little tubful makes a great 'starter' especially for a curry. We label them with a (fake) Sharpi-e
    Too chicken to stay in the rat-race...
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 7th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 22,806 Posts
    • 57,218 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Chinese take-away tubs They hold enough chilli / curry for two people. Ours get used and re-used and re-used and re-used ... until they break.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 28,630 Thanks
    Primrose
    I can't help thinking that if one lived on a desert island al this plastic would be used, and washed and reused and washed until it disintegrated as a precious resource. Just sad that some people use these containers once and then throw them away
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 10th Aug 18, 8:48 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    I use whatevers to hand .. in my quest to use less plastic, I reuse any plastic container I can - so large yoghurt pots are used, margarine tubs, fruit/veg trays, anything ... if I need the container to freeze something else, I will take the frozen food out of the container and wrap it in greaseproof paper or put it in a larger container with other similar frozen meals ...
    july gc - 356/300
    aug gc - 92/300

wading through the treacle of life!
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 10th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 10,011 Posts
    • 46,713 Thanks
    euronorris
    A mixture, depending on what I've made. For portions of things like stew and spag bol, I use the reusable takeaway style tubs (and any other Tupperware I have in the cupboard). For daughters meal portions, I have a selection of small plastic tubs. I also use those for sauces/marinades, as they are good individual portion sizes. For things that go in the oven for reheating, like cottage pie, chicken pie etc, I use the foil trays as they are individually sized and can go straight in the oven so either one of us can have an easy and readily available meal to ourselves if the other is out (spag bol/strews etc I tend to freeze in batches of 2 portions) - or even if we just fancy something different from the other.

I bought the foil trays, and lids, in bulk from eBay months ago and am still working through them.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 10th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 8,564 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I use a mixture:
    Pies are frozen in the glass Pyrex dishes or baking cake tins both wrapped in foil.
    I have different types of lock-stock containers which I I use time and time again - stews, bolognaise, pasta sauce, pizza sauces, soups and stewed fruit.
    Other reusable plastic containers - whole fruit eg blueberries, blackberries etc
    Zip lock bags (which came from MIL house - from emptying her house when she went in a home 3 years ago) - soups, sauces and whole tomatoes.
    Lasagna, shepherds pies in the glass Pyrex dishes.
    I like the idea of using old milk containers. I'm always happy when I manage to use single use plastic containers several times.
    I am always looking in charity shops for more Pyrex pie dishes.
    I will look out for the glass dishes with lids that you can freeze.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 10-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 4096/6,000
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 16th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I have a variety of containers and bags I use.
    I think the only ones I have actually bought were ice cube trays.I use them for odds of coconut milk, cream, lemon juice etc which get frozen solid then put into plastic bags to save space.
    the bags are generally old bread bags that have been rinsed out and pegged on the line to dry.
    tub-wise I tend to use old marg tubs, reusing until they break, these get used for general dinner leftovers.
    leftover shep pie, lasagne etc get put into le creuset dishes (free with blocks of butter years ago)topped with silver foil ready to defrost and go straight in the oven.
    soups get put in old milk bottles, easy to defrost and take to work.
    soft fruits get frozen on trays and then popped into aforementioned bags.

i refuse to buy tubs for the freezer when stuff i buy already comes in handy containers
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    2018 jan 124.69/130 feb 157.97/150 mar 221.33/200 apr 223.04/250
    • C J
    • By C J 16th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 6,507 Thanks
    C J
    Primrose's idea of using 1 pint screw topped milk cartons to freeze soup in is just inspired - why on earth did I never think of doing that? Probably because I only ever buy 4 pint milk cartons ..... but we have a dozen or so 1 pint cartons delivered to our fridges at work every day (we are lucky and get free hot beverages). I have been carefully washing these out and ensuring they get into the recycling bin, but now I shall be bringing a few of them home to use instead. Brilliant. I make a large batch of soup every Sunday for my work lunches over the week, and freeze Wednesday-Friday's portions to ensure they stay fresh. I have been using ziplock bags for this, but no more!

I heart this site.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

7,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin