Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rachel83
    • By Rachel83 1st Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 292Posts
    • 517Thanks
    Rachel83
    Grooming a short hair cat.
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    Grooming a short hair cat. 1st Aug 18 at 9:34 PM
    I have a vicious little minx of a cat who basically hates any form of touch other than on her head!

She seems to have really hick short hair with maybe a winter coat still underneath with a few mats on her back legs, anyone have tips on how to brush her without getting eaten or clawed in the process... I love cats !!!128560;
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 1st Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    Trim them off, it will be a lot safer for you! Two people, one grabs and holds, the other is like a ninja with the scissors. Hopefully that would encourage her to groom all over.

Or just try introducing a bit of fuss moving a little bit further away but still in the same stroke. Keep repeating and when she doesnt play up extend it a bit and keep repeating the process.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 63,589 Posts
    • 372,397 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    We had a cat years ago .... never groomed it once. It never occurred to people back then to groom cats....

Does it really need doing, or have you convinced yourself it's something you should be doing?

Leave it.... it's a cat, it'll lick itself.
    • Rachel83
    • By Rachel83 1st Aug 18, 11:28 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Rachel83
    • 1st Aug 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 11:28 PM
    I have 4 and have always had cats including a very long haired one who never needed grooming, this one is the only cat I have thought needs it. Both her rear legs are covered in matts on the sides, but yes otherwise I wouldnt bother with it! Guess its a comb and scissors effort.

She is probably just a lazy groomer if its not simply the fact she has super thick fur! Typical that its the kitty who hates been handled the most too!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,536 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 2nd Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    Make a cat burrito.

Wrap her pointy bits up in a towel, ignore the wailing, howling and gnashing of teeth and carefully clip the offending bits off. Have a spare towel beside you to add ontop if a part escapes or for extra security when exposing another area. (it's also handy for stemming the bloodflow if a pointy bit escapes and does some damage). Having a moist flannel with a couple of drops of baby shampoo on it also helps to get some of the fluff out of the way.

When done, carefully place Angry Burrito down in front of you with a clear escape route, then release the corners. Watch Angry Burrito turn into a blur of indignation and horror before it disappears under something for the next few hours.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Rachel83
    • By Rachel83 3rd Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    Rachel83
    • 3rd Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    Haha that definitely sounds like my cat! My other 3 wouldn!!!8217;t care less, this ones just a nightmare!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 3rd Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    DD265
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    We tend to wrap up well in thick jumpers, and one of us pins the cat against our chest/shoulder whilst the other person does what needs to be done!

The trick is not to let them think they have a chance of wriggling out of your grasp
    • hb2
    • By hb2 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    hb2
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    Make a cat burrito.

Wrap her pointy bits up in a towel, ignore the wailing, howling and gnashing of teeth and carefully clip the offending bits off. Have a spare towel beside you to add ontop if a part escapes or for extra security when exposing another area. (it's also handy for stemming the bloodflow if a pointy bit escapes and does some damage). Having a moist flannel with a couple of drops of baby shampoo on it also helps to get some of the fluff out of the way.

When done, carefully place Angry Burrito down in front of you with a clear escape route, then release the corners. Watch Angry Burrito turn into a blur of indignation and horror before it disappears under something for the next few hours.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    You certainly know cats!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    Our old British Blue was like that - back of the ears, fine, but anything south was forbidden territory. Fortunately, she kept herself well groomed - except for the spot between the base of her spine and the start of her tail. Whenever I saw a 'clump' forming I would give her her most favourite treat - chopped king prawns (I know, I know !) and give her a quick brush while she was otherwise occupied.

Our current fur lady, however, just loves to be brushed.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 08-08-2018 at 1:04 PM.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 8th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    donnac2558
    We had a cat years ago .... never groomed it once. It never occurred to people back then to groom cats....

Does it really need doing, or have you convinced yourself it's something you should be doing?

Originally posted by PasturesNew

Then they throw up hair balls on your carpet
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 4,448 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Then they throw up hair balls on your carpet
    Originally posted by donnac2558

They still do that if you groom them !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin