Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pparkedoff
    • By pparkedoff 1st Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pparkedoff
    PPC fine from 2013 went quiet after appeal, now a debt collect letter out of the blue years later
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:24 PM
    PPC fine from 2013 went quiet after appeal, now a debt collect letter out of the blue years later 1st Aug 18 at 7:24 PM
    Apologies if this is covered in other threads, I've spent an hour searching as best I could.

I appealed against a fine from a PPC issued and promptly appealed in the first half of 2013. I followed the relevant MSE advice at time time. I appealed by email, and I have that email. The PPC acknowledged receipt of my appeal email (by email), noting that I would "receive a reply to your appeal within 35 days". I have that acknowledgement email. I heard nothing further, by email or post, until recently when I received a letter from a debt recovery agency claiming to act on behalf of the PPC. Their letter contains details that correctly identify the original fine. Their letter alleges that the PPC attempted to engage with me and agree a suitable payment arrangement. However, according to the communications I received, this is simply not true - the PPC just never responded to my appeal letter.

The original email acknowledging my appeal identified the debt recovery agency that the PPC would use if necessary, but this is not the same company that has written to me recently.

The debt recovery agency demand a reply soon, and claim they will issue a County Court Claim without further notice if they do not hear from me.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 1st Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 11,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 7:33 PM

The debt recovery agency demand a reply soon, and claim they will issue a County Court Claim without further notice if they do not hear from me.
    Originally posted by pparkedoff
    Is this DRP ?????? or one of the other retards debt
    collection idiots.

THEY CANNOT ISSUE A COUNTY COURT CLAIM, they
    are simply powerless cretins

Who is the idiot debt collector ??????????
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 1st Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 19,691 Posts
    • 31,162 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 1st Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    I don't for one moment believe that is what the correspondence said. Prove me wrong!

In anything you write here, you need absolute accuracy, not skim read and guess what it says, then type - that just consumes unnecessary and abortive time on a very busy forum.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 01-08-2018 at 8:36 PM.
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pparkedoff
    • By pparkedoff 5th Aug 18, 8:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pparkedoff
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:26 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:26 AM
    The agency is bwlegal. The exact wording is "We have been instructed by [PPC] to commence legal action in the form of issuing a Claim against you in the County Court in respect of the above debt. If payment or a response is not received before [date], we are instructed to issue a Claim against you in the County Court without further notice."
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 37,489 Posts
    • 21,702 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:30 AM
    You disguised the date you were given to pay by??

If this is a lbcca (how long does it give you to pay and are their forms to return enclosed?) then read up in the Newbies FAQ thread in #2 there for all advice on dealing with a lbcca and court claim
    Last edited by Quentin; 05-08-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 5th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 10,238 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    This is not a DCA, this is a real life dirty shirt, albeit a bottom feeder with scammers as clients.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5672664&highlight=bwlegal+the+lis %20%20t

You need to treat this seriously.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41 recently.

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    Last edited by The Deep; 05-08-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Castle
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    Follow the advice given in post 5 and also send the PPC a SAR.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 5th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 37,552 Posts
    • 84,481 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    As above, it is not a fine, it is not a letter from a debt crawler.

It is a LBC from a solicitor.

You need to urgently read post 2 of the NEWBIES on how to deal with a court claim, and respond accordingly.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pparkedoff
    • By pparkedoff 6th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pparkedoff
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    Thanks for the advice, all.

I've looked at Newbies #2. The tone of response letters seems to imply that there's been a train of correspondence leading up to that point. In my case, there has been no prior correspondence with the solicitor, and the only correspondence with the PPC was an appeal letter sent in 2013, acknowledged by the PPC but never actually replied to. Does that original appeal have any weight? The PPC promised a response within 35 days, but none was received - where does that leave the appeal? Should I mention this appeal in communication with the solicitor?

The deadline for my reply is "by 7th Aug" (tomorrow) - apologies for not replying to the forum sooner, I did not know how to turn email notifications on and did not realise that people were replying (I have subscribed to the thread now!).
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 6th Aug 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 4,484 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yes of course it does
    The BPA code of practice states it is deemed accpeted after 35 days. So PART o the response denying the debt will be that an appeal was sent on X date and therefore on Y date (35 days later) as no response was received it was deemed accepted. Their client cannot possibly have a cause of action against you, as compliance with the Code of Pracice is a mandatory element to recoever parking charges.

Just send the LBC repsonse youve found, and obviously amend it with your details. This isnt that trickuy - there is no true template here. Just make it clear this is the first youve heard since the original PCN back in X, after Y days of yourappela and you hadnt heard you thought nothing more, and as such you require all the following documents...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

478Posts Today

4,964Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin