Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • margaret.balin
    • By margaret.balin 1st Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    margaret.balin
    Section 20 notice after purchase of flat
    • 1st Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    Section 20 notice after purchase of flat 1st Aug 18 at 4:36 PM
    Hello,
    I'm brand new to the forums. I joined to ask a question because I'm at my wits end.

I recently exchanged on a property. I was very happy because I managed to knock off 10k off the price the day before exchanging so I really thought I was getting a good deal. Especially, since we negotiated the price down earlier too, so we saved 15k.

However, the week after completion, we got a letter for a section 20. They are planning fire-proofing works on the block of flats and the bill is 8k per flat! This includes new fire doors, new communal area renovation and new fire alarms.

This letter we received is a stage 2 notice. Apparently the stage 1 was undisclosed.
    We were told that the stage 1 notice was in the form of an email and not a letter, so many tennants didn't receive it are now in shock.

I don't understand how this was undisclosed though. Shouldn't we have known about it?
    During our conveyancing process it didn't come up because we got the management pack before the notice was served but shouldn't the seller have notified us regardless??

What can we do about this? Can we sue?
    We've been stuffed with a 8k bill only a week after completing! I'm livid.

Any help please?
    Margaret
Page 3
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 4th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    I should have clarified.

I'm sure the seller knew and simply pretended not to have received anything.
    I feel absolutely cheated on!
    Originally posted by margaret.balin
    I imagine the sellers felt absolutely cheated on when you guzundered them 24 hours before you completed the sale to.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 4th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10,972 Posts
    • 12,663 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    The information pack contains nothing about works. It was given to my lawyers in March but the sale dragged on a while.

I have been in contact with my lawyers who chased their lawyers. So the day of exchange the lawyers asked the seller "Has anything changed about the property" to which the seller responded "no" and also asked him "Are there are any upcoming works to the property" to which the response was also "no".

Since the stage 1 notice was served in June, surely the seller is clearly lying.
    Still uncertain what I can do about it though. Since they do claim that no letter was sent and since the managing agent backs up their story, it seems hopeless to get that money back
    You keep switching back and forth between the freeholder and the leaseholder.
    Leasold, you ahvent a leg to stand on.
    Freehold, maybe if they sent you something saying no planned works at the same time they sent the email out.
    Since you keep switching between the two and the date are confused I've lost track if this happened or not.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Shouldn't either the seller or the buyers conveyancer been obliged to ask the freeholder about planned work? The seller may have not known but they should have asked the freeholder so they could complete the form correctly.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 4th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    I feel absolutely cheated on!
    I'm glad. Your behaviour just before exchange was abhorrent. It's not that often karma strikes so fast. Personally, I reckon the seller knew and that's why they accepted your extortion. Enjoy your bill.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 4th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    The vendors could possibly argue that in reducing 10k at the point of exchange they have paid for the works plus 2k for the inconvenience. You also get the full benefit on the improvement works and post grenfell surely fire improvement works would be welcome - indeed your flat may be difficult to sell in the future without it.
    Last edited by haras_nosirrah; 04-08-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I'm glad. Your behaviour just before exchange was abhorrent. It's not that often karma strikes so fast. Personally, I reckon the seller knew and that's why they accepted your extortion.
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    If the seller knew but kept quiet isn't that abhorrent?

Maybe if the seller had been honest karma wouldn't have pushed for the last minute 10k reduction.

• davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 4th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    davidwood681

Maybe if the seller had been honest karma wouldn't have pushed for the last minute 10k reduction.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Get real
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Get real
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    Karma works in mysterious ways.

• Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 4th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes

Caveat emptor.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Caveat emptor.
    So its morally ok for the seller to hide information. If the op hadn't asked for the price reduction would it still be ok?
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 04-08-2018 at 7:17 PM.

• SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 5th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    So its morally ok for the seller to hide information. If the op hadn't asked for the price reduction would it still be ok?
    How do you even know the seller received this email?
    IMO the OP is smart enough to figure out the best time to gazunder they are smart enough to realize buying a flat after the tower fire it was inevitable some upgrades to fire safety system were going to be made.
    I think since these upgrades benefit the OP they should pay for them.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 5th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    parkrunner

If he did then I agree but from what we've seen so far there is no evidence that anything was hidden. You can't really hide something you knew nothing about.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 5th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 9,264 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    If the buyer claims he didn't see the email, can we still claim something?
    After gazundering to the tune of 10K do you not feel you've got enough out of your sellers?

I have to admit, its lovely to see somebody actually get what they deserve for once, it so rarely happens in reality.
    Last edited by Red-Squirrel; 05-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    How do you even know the seller received this email?
    Originally posted by SnooksNJ
    If he did then I agree but from what we've seen so far there is no evidence that anything was hidden.
    Originally posted by parkrunner

I'm replying to this which assumes the seller knew.
    I'm glad. Your behaviour just before exchange was abhorrent. It's not that often karma strikes so fast. Personally, I reckon the seller knew and that's why they accepted your extortion. Enjoy your bill.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 05-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

• parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 6th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    parkrunner
    I'm replying to this which assumes the seller knew.

That doesn't show or even assume that the vendor knew anything about it. It's simply a guess by.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    That doesn't show or even assume that the vendor knew anything about it. It's simply a guess by.
    Its a reply based on the seller knowing, not a suggestion that the seller did know.

• parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 6th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Its a reply based on the seller knowing, not a suggestion that the seller did know.

Pointless.
    Last edited by parkrunner; 06-08-2018 at 5:45 PM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 7,482 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Pointless.
    Your involvement was pointless. It was a reply to someone else which you failed to understand.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,938Posts Today

9,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin