Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 1st Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Yorkshire Energy
    • 1st Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Yorkshire Energy 1st Aug 18 at 12:50 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Yorkshire Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • Dagsyrugg
    • By Dagsyrugg 2nd Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Dagsyrugg
    • 2nd Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    I switched for the first time from e.on to them in June this year

The whole process went smoothly with email communications and updates

I rung them once to clarify one thing and the phone was answered promptly

However, I didn't get an email prompt for my first meter reading and did enter my own but this wasn't used and only an estimate was processed on my first bill. I put this down to a glitch and if it happens again I will contact them to find out why

Overall, an ok experience so far

UPDATE 29/9
    After several months as a customer; there is no monthly email to request a meter reading - think this would be a good idea - nor is there an email to say that the monthly statement is ready to view
    Last edited by Dagsyrugg; 29-09-2018 at 7:44 AM. Reason: customer update
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 2nd Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 2nd Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    Literally just clicked join..couldn't work out why the submit button was not clickable.

Called to do a manual switch and very bright bubbly young lady said "You need to click on either fixed or variable"...opps and then i was away.

Quick to answer phone and very helpful...will see how they go on moving forward.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 4th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    thinking about swapping to them... is their portal ok... I presume you should be able to log meter readings online?
    • Dagsyrugg
    • By Dagsyrugg 4th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Dagsyrugg
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 4th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    Yes you can
    Everything you need to know is on their support page:
    https://yorkshire-energy.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 9th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    I did exactly the same (I.e. the issue with selecting the fixed or variable per Samsung-Note2) but now initiated the switch away from TogetherEnergy. Should be done in 21 days according to confirmation emails... watch this space!
    Last edited by mikeyorkie10; 09-08-2018 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Missed a bit out ...
    • JohnAdams
    • By JohnAdams 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JohnAdams
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    Just switched from Usio to Yorkshire Energy, phoned up and they answered straight away! The girl i spoke to was able to answer all the questions i had and look forward to the next 12 months with them.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 15th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    • 15th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 15th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    I've just signed up with Yorkshire Energy on their ‘Green Seahorse’ 12-months fixed tariff with zero exit fees.

I rang them for a little bit more info;…I was on hold for about 5-mins then got an automated ‘we’ll ring you back’ message,…which they did within 60 seconds.

I spoke to a very pleasant and knowledgeable lady who answered all my queries. She reckons the switchover will take 21 days.

Their website looks pretty good and the online sign-up process is painless but remember to click the preferred tariff dialogue box on the last quote page;…that allows you to continue to ‘sign-up’.

They’ve only been in existence for 4-months so signing up is something of a leap of faith, but what the hell,..I like to live dangerously.
    • aris
    • By aris 17th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    • 17th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 17th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    Not a huge deal (for me), but when you switch they take the full direct debit on your 'live date' and then again on the direct debit date. In my case this was 12 days apart. Might make a difference to you as you'll be paying twice in a short period of time, and before you get any refund if you are in credit with your previous supplier.

One thing i've noticed though - Yorkshire Energy no longer comes up in the energy saving club comparisons. Any reason for that?
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 17th Aug 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10,860 Posts
    • 8,766 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    I was given choice of DD on 2nd, 15th or 25th. It also said that 1st payment 21 days from sign up (live date) and other on selected payment date, and warned this could result in two in the same month. I'm sure you could change date if you emailed them.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 17th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    Not a huge deal (for me), but when you switch they take the full direct debit on your 'live date' and then again on the direct debit date. In my case this was 12 days apart. Might make a difference to you as you'll be paying twice in a short period of time, and before you get any refund if you are in credit with your previous supplier.

One thing i've noticed though - Yorkshire Energy no longer comes up in the energy saving club comparisons. Any reason for that?
    Originally posted by aris
    You’re right,… Yorkshire Energy aren’t on MSE but I’ve had a squint on Uswitch and Yorkshire Energy’s cheapest 12-month fixed tariff with zero fees is a brand new tariff called ‘Green Puffin – Fixed’.

Possibly the new tariff details haven’t been updated on MSE yet.

They’ve slipped well down the list because this brand new tariff is a deal more expensive than their previous offering called ‘Green Seahorse – Fixed’.

I signed up on their ‘Green Seahorse – Fixed’ just 2 days ago,… and it’s already been superseded by this new, more expensive tariff !;

…it doesn’t pay to hang around when choosing a new tariff does it?
    • aris
    • By aris 17th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    I prefer the 2nd myself - just something for those who might be on a tight monthly budget to watch out for. Ideally, that first payment should be pro-rated. For those who are paid at the end/beginning of the month, the 2nd makes most sense, and if your go live date is the 1st (or close to it, you have a double-whammy for that first payment.

I'd still like to know why YE is not showing on the cheap energy club site. Is there any way to bring this to MSE's attention?
    • aris
    • By aris 17th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    You’re right,… Yorkshire Energy aren’t on MSE but I’ve had a squint on Uswitch and Yorkshire Energy’s cheapest 12-month fixed tariff with zero fees is a brand new tariff called ‘Green Puffin – Fixed’.

Possibly the new tariff details haven’t been updated on MSE yet.

They’ve slipped well down the list because this brand new tariff is a deal more expensive than their previous offering called ‘Green Seahorse – Fixed’.

I signed up on their ‘Green Seahorse – Fixed’ just 2 days ago,… and it’s already been superseded by this new, more expensive tariff !;

…it doesn’t pay to hang around when choosing a new tariff does it?
    Originally posted by bri160356
    I'm on Green Butterfly 12M fixed - which I originally found on the MSE comparison site - which is why I find it odd they are not listed now. As you say, doesn't pay to hang around.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 17th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 10,860 Posts
    • 8,766 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Energy prices (and futures) are rising quickly at the monent and all suppliers are being forced to react, often at very short notice. So yes, don't hang around!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 17th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    I'm on Green Butterfly 12M fixed - which I originally found on the MSE comparison site - which is why I find it odd they are not listed now. As you say, doesn't pay to hang around.
    Originally posted by aris
    I'm sure Yorks.Energy will rock up soon ;not sure how the comparison sites get updated with new tariffs but it happens quite often that comparison sites don't quite tally.

Avro updated a tariff on MSE a few days ago but that same tariff didn't appear on Uswitch for another 24 hours or so.
    Last edited by bri160356; 17-08-2018 at 3:38 PM.
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 17th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    I!!!8217;m on Green Butterfly 12m fixed, only switched on the 8th so no DD or meter reading requests yet. I got it from the MSE site but couldn!!!8217;t switch via MSE just got re-routed to their site to do it direct. Quote was identical.
    Wait and see what happens now.... can!!!8217;t believe there seems to have been 2new tariffs since the 8th!!
    • aris
    • By aris 17th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    To be fair, I don't think the costs are that much different - though i'm sure they add up to a lot over a year:

Green Butterfly:

Gas
    Unit Rate 2.718p per kWh
    Standing Charge 19.999p per day

Electricity
    Unit Rate 12.387p per kWh
    Economy7 Rate 9.933p per kWh
    Standing Charge 18.317p per day

Green Puffin (Current Tariff):

Gas
    Standing Charge: 19.218003 p/day
    Unit Price: 2.9829975 p/kWh

Electricity:
    Standing Charge: 19.664001 p/day
    Day Price: 12.797001 p/kWh
    Night Price: 10.768002 p/kWh

If they were listed on the MSE comparison site - i'm sure they would still rate well.
    • aris
    • By aris 17th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aris
    To add insult to injury - my payment to my last provider - so.energy - is going through as planned this month too. So i've got 3 lots of energy payments going out within the span of 2 weeks

It will all equal out in the end - but it is a serious caveat people need to be very aware of if they are on a tight budget.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 17th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 10,860 Posts
    • 8,766 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Tarrif updates are thick and fast across the board right now as energy prices change, lots of buying is done for the colder period, and suppliers try and adjust their sign up rates.

• bri160356
    • By bri160356 18th Aug 18, 11:31 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    Energy prices (and futures) are rising quickly at the monent and all suppliers are being forced to react, often at very short notice. So yes, don't hang around!
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    I opted for a switch to Yorkshire Energy just 3 days ago because their Green Seahorse 12-months fixed rate zero fees tariff was coming up as just about the cheapest fixed zero fees tariff on MSE.

However, I’ve just discovered that Eversmart’s ‘Welcome Home’ tariff is really a fixed rate zero fees tariff and not a variable tariff as shown on MSE’s (and Uswitch) comparison site.

My proposed switch to Yorks.Energy will cost me £1310/year;…a switch to Eversmart is £1198/year,… so it’s £112/year cheaper which is not a bad saving is it?

However, Eversmart’s feedback has to be described as ‘mixed’ to say the least;…but it’s feedback nonetheless.

Yorks.Energy are too new for any feedback, good or bad, to be majorly significant; IMHO, of course.

I spoke to Eversmart this morning and had a slightly confusing conversation with them about their ‘Welcome Home’ tariff conundrum and I’ve posted a few more details on the Eversmart feedback thread, for anyone remotely interested.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,344Posts Today

4,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin